General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User asindlemouat
(newbie) Sat 25-May-19 17:37:54
Print Post

2 ISP's active on one line reduced speed

[link to this post]

I have just switched from Zen 38Mb fibre on Friday to Shell Fibre 76Mb, it turns out that Zen have not disconnected the line yet so I am able to access the internet via my Zen router still and when I disconnect it and put in the Shell router I access the internet through it to, however the speed appears to be the same 34Mb I was getting on Zen. Is this because the old provider is still active?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 25-May-19 19:29:28
Print Post

Re: 2 ISP's active on one line reduced speed

[re: asindlemouat] [link to this post]

If you were only getting 34Mbps before it is unlikely you will get more than that when you change providers.

Can you run a TBB speedtest with a link to te result and also provide modem stats that show, attenuation, SNR, sync and max attainable?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-May-19 20:44:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by asindlemouat:
I have just switched from Zen 38Mb fibre on Friday to Shell Fibre 76Mb, it turns out that Zen have not disconnected the line yet so I am able to access the internet via my Zen router still and when I disconnect it and put in the Shell router I access the internet through it to, however the speed appears to be the same 34Mb I was getting on Zen. Is this because the old provider is still active?
No, it's most likely because your line only supports 34Mb/s. Whoever advised you to switch to a faster package may have misled you.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jake4
(newbie) Sat 25-May-19 21:42:57
Print Post

What ISP does it say when your on speedtest.net ?
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Sat 25-May-19 21:57:28
Print Post

If you were getting anything less than the 38M you were capped at before, then you won't get any faster if the cap is increased.
(newbie) Sat 25-May-19 22:05:52
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

My Broadband Speed Test

Attached speed test. Says its Talk Talk...🤔 I'm not too far from the cabinet I thought that I'd be losing a bit (4mb) with the distance, I assumed that it would be about the same loss even if I upgraded to the faster option. I'm pretty sure I should be able to get around 62 according to some test I did a while back.
What's really annoying is that my house is only 3 years old, it's phase 1 of a new build site, phase 2 all have FTTP and they are just round the corner! 😒
(newbie) Sat 25-May-19 22:26:31
Print Post

Broadband specs

Broadband specs above, line attention etc.

Edited by asindlemouat (Sat 25-May-19 22:28:52)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-May-19 23:17:29
Print Post

Without details of what this 'some test' all I can say is that based on the connection speeds seen flipping from a 40/10 to an 80/20 product will not give you any speed boost

On the ISP if it is saying TalkTalk when you have the Zen router then you are seeing what is normal on TalkTalk i.e. they don't care about the authentication and just connect you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-May-19 23:22:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

From looking at the speed test info that you supplied in the test you are getting speeds at the lower end of what would be expected for the location.

If you have phone extensions in the home and no faceplate filter then these extensions may be impacting on your speeds, so time to try testing the modem at the test socket (the advantage of using the test socket is that the extension wiring is disoonnected so you can see if better speeds are possible)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-May-19 00:46:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just a point when you change supplier, DLM is reset so no G.INP or 3db which may see a boost depending upon type of cabinet. You are seeing Talk Talk on the speedtest as Shell use TT services.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to