General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User busterboy
(member) Wed 29-May-19 18:14:29
Print Post

FTTP Providers 300Mbps or more

[link to this post]

Seems where ever I look ISP providers of FTTP 300Mbps or more are limited to BT and Zen.

Is this likely to change in the near future or do you take your pick and roll the dice.

For what its worth I have been with BT for over 10 years now and service has been good (although only 1Mbps where I live) but starting to look at options as FTTP Fibre is drawing closer now.

Thanks for any info. smile

Please no lectures on "you don't need 300Mbps"

BTBroadband

Edited by busterboy (Wed 29-May-19 19:24:33)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-May-19 18:26:04
Print Post

Re: FTTP Providers 300Mbps or more

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

Are you aware that if the 300Mbps service becomes available to you, so does 80/20 FTTP at the same price as FTTC? It does give a fairly noticeable increase over 1Mbps, and will probably have far more sellers by the time you can get it smile.

It's also worth noting that BT does not guarantee anything approaching 300Mbps throughput. AIUI it is below 100Mbps. The sync of course is always as per the package description.

While you wait, as you don't say how close in time the FTTP is, how good is your Three 45 signal? See this excellent product.

Or you can get a completely unlimited SIM-only for your phone from them for £20pm. Tethering allowed. I have both products.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 29-May-19 18:27:34)

Standard User brookheather
(member) Wed 29-May-19 18:37:18
Print Post

Cerberus offer various FTTP packages up to 1000Mbps:

https://www.cerberusnetworks.co.uk/node/183#cerberus...

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-May-19 18:46:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by busterboy:
Seems where ever I look ISP providers of FTTP 300Mbps or more are limited to BT and Zen.

Plenty of ISPs offering 330/50 or higher on the Openreach (BTW) FTTP platform other than BT Retail & Zen. From the top of my head:

IDNet
Cerberus
Trunk Networks
Structured Communications
Gradwell
Highnet
Optanet
Fluidone
Giganet

However BT Retail is likely to be the cheapest for 330/50 especially if they're offering discounts and/or going through a cashback site.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-May-19 18:56:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It's also worth noting that BT does not guarantee anything approaching 300Mbps throughput. AIUI it is below 100Mbps.

It used to be less than 100 Mbps on the legacy Infinity 4 (330/30) product, its now 150 Mbps on the latest Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus service (330/50):

https://postimg.cc/VJgM3sSQ

Linksys EA9500v2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-May-19 18:56:42
Print Post

Link to our package list with Openreach FTTP flag turned on https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages/fttp-broadband

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-May-19 19:05:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Link to our package list with Openreach FTTP flag turned on https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages/fttp-broadband

Mr S,
Looking at Spectrum Internet FTTP packages here, right at the bottom it states

Wholesale Provider details:
BT Wholesale

That is incorrect, as Spectrum use their own LLU network from the exchange onwards (backhaul) which is why they only cover a handful of exchange areas in S Wales & SW England.

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-May-19 19:09:34
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It's also worth noting that BT does not guarantee anything approaching 300Mbps throughput. AIUI it is below 100Mbps.
It used to be less than 100 Mbps on the legacy Infinity 4 (330/30) product, its now 150 Mbps on the latest Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus service (330/50):

https://postimg.cc/VJgM3sSQ
Thanks for the update/correction smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User busterboy
(member) Wed 29-May-19 19:19:59
Print Post

WOW lots of answers in the time it took to eat my tea thank you everyone. laugh

I honestly had no idea so many providers were available to me but as you say BT and Zen look to have the best prices before I start trawling deeper through them all.

If my decision was to stay with BT I presume once available its a straight forward procedure and a new term would be put in place.

Roberto sorry but not looking to take out a sim deal as fibre is almost with me.

I have been tethering my EE phone to my PC and using data from that but my 20Gb a month I get already soon goes.

Had Fibre been nowhere near I would certainly consider it. wink

BTBroadband
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-May-19 19:49:15
Print Post

If you can tell me which exchanges then can see about setting up the additional filtering that this would require

A mornings work.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to