General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Aug-19 14:59:59
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: shaunhw] [link to this post]

if this is a BDUK roll-out then have seen overlaps for those on edges getting the option to order, and a small number where people with 40 Mbps VDSL2 can get FTTP option.

Tweaking your speeds to slip just under 30 Mbps is not going to change what happens now - also they would not plan off of the max speed but look at a combination of factors or just go off of their own paper records for line length to the DP

In short it is wait and see time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Retron
(learned) Fri 02-Aug-19 15:26:00
Print Post

[re: Retron] [link to this post]

Unusually, one of the engineers who worked on my install has posted a comment about it to a public forum - a reply to a KentOnline (newspaper) article saying that areas of Thanet are going to get FTTP rolled-out.

"On that note, Leysdown and Bay View on Sheerness were cabled with fibre to the property recently. I was a bit taken back when BT Openreach gave me one of those jobs, it's literally the one place in ~Uk that doesn't need 250Mbit+ internet! Farms, small business parks and alike need it."

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/fastest-bro...

I'm equally as surprised that he didn't realise that it was an FTTPoD order, and that the od bit would mean the person ordering has a very good reason for doing so. In my case, it was the faster upload speeds that I wanted, and indeed as soon as I'm able (next year, when the 12-month contract expires) I'll regrade the 300/30 connection to at least 330/50.

Edited by Retron (Fri 02-Aug-19 15:26:21)

Standard User E300
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-19 16:05:14
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

Update on progress (or lack of perhaps), my timeline so far:

Day 0: Confirmed and paid to go ahead

Day 30: Openreach team spend a day rodding and roping from my distribution point to the aggregation node

Day 55: A sub-contractor removes a blockage near the aggregation node (appeared about day 50 on roadworks.org)

Now on day 63.

The status updates Iíve been getting often make no sense or are out of date, for example the last two the status update has been Ďcabling in progressí despite no sign of anyone.

The newest status update is 'Blockages found, monitor and advise', however that blockage was found 33 days ago at day 30, and seemingly is already dealt with. I have asked Cerberus to enquire about this latest status update as it appears very out of date.

So out of 63 days, Openreach have managed one day so far, and a sub-contractor half a day.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Alucidnation
(member) Fri 02-Aug-19 17:16:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by E300:
So out of 63 days, Openreach have managed one day so far, and a sub-contractor half a day.

No surprise there then.

OR have to one of the most despised companies in the UK.

Draytek 2862.
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Aug-19 20:03:14
Print Post

This is a bit of a long game. I paid the big bill in November and went live middle of last month, original order was placed in September so 10 months end to end.

Mike
Standard User Alucidnation
(member) Sat 03-Aug-19 07:59:22
Print Post

[re: abat] [link to this post]

Yes, but they are also good at mis-quoting.

Draytek 2862.

Edited by Alucidnation (Sat 03-Aug-19 07:59:51)

Standard User dect
(committed) Sat 03-Aug-19 08:28:29
Print Post

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Alucidnation:
OR have to one of the most despised companies in the UK.
I wouldn't agree that they are despised.
Standard User E300
(newbie) Tue 06-Aug-19 17:15:09
Print Post

Another update, Openreach have spent a day here and fibre cable has now been pulled through, this is despite the last status update from Cerberus saying blockages. It seems I am correct in saying these status updates are very out of date as the blockage was cleared a couple of weeks ago and found earlier than that.

There is now an 8 port connectorised box in the distribution point in the pavement opposite, and Iíve been told by the OR guys that fibre is now in all the way to the aggregation node, so no more blockages.

I assume the next step is for a fibre jointer to connect the fibre up, then to test it and then if all is okay it is then like a native FTTP install with an engineer visit to run fibre from the DP to the property and install the ONT?

Feel better knowing there is some actual fibre cable in now, even if it might not be lit at the moment, feels like we are on the home straight.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Mon 12-Aug-19 15:10:50
Print Post

[re: Retron] [link to this post]

I have been following these threads for a while now. I have finally decided to bite the bullet and start the FTTPoD process.

Contacted Cerberus, Amvia and Fluid. So far, I am waiting for a survey, this has been paid for.

Cerberus were unable to give an estimate on costs at a desktop level but mentioned being 800 to 999m away from the nearest NGA

Fluid came back with an eye watering desktop quote for £45,000 and have suggested a lease line may be more applicable in our case.

We qualify for the gigabit voucher aswell as another business close by. We are fairly rural on a farm but have no qualms digging up our fields and putting in ducting ourselves to get as close as possible to the connection point. Surely £45,000 is way out of proportion
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 12-Aug-19 15:34:21
Print Post

[re: steveham] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by steveham:
IContacted Cerberus, Amvia and Fluid. So far, I am waiting for a survey, this has been paid for.

Out of interest, which provider did you pay? (Technically you've already placed an order at this point, but have the option to withdraw by forfeiting your £250+VAT)

Cerberus and FluidOne ought to give you the same information at desktop level, since they're making the same request from BTW/OpenReach. Amvia are just a reseller of Cerberus.

Desktop quotes can bear little or no relation to reality, but that is certainly a hefty one.

If you're serious about digging your own ducting then take this up with the surveyor when they come, and talk to @f00ts0re who has done something similar.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to