General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Mon 12-Aug-19 15:42:58
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Out of interest, which provider did you pay? (Technically you've already placed an order at this point, but have the option to withdraw by forfeiting your £250+VAT)

We paid for the survey through Amvia, they seemed to be the most engaging at the time when I was looking around, nothing against the others. This was paid a week or so ago, but the desktop quote from fluid just came out of the blue today.

I donít have an issue paying for someone to come out and survey as it will at least put my mind to rest knowing it is feasible or not.
Standard User dect
(committed) Mon 12-Aug-19 17:44:29
Print Post

[re: steveham] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by steveham:
We are fairly rural on a farm but have no qualms digging up our fields and putting in ducting ourselves to get as close as possible to the connection point.
Have you looked at how you current telephone line(s) get to you? If they come across your fields via telephone poles then Openreach will probably bring fibre the same way so your unlikely to save any money by laying ducts yourself, if your existing telephone line(s) are directly buried in the ground then it could be worth considering laying ducts yourself.
Standard User quadrophenic
(newbie) Tue 13-Aug-19 07:54:37
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Hi, new to the forum and this discussion. Very interesting to see everyone's FTTPoD journey! I recently requested a desktop quote from Cerberus and was quoted an slightly eye watering £12,400 with only 5 properties passed. I live on a fairly densely populated housing estate. There is currently FTTC but since we live at the back of the estate the distance to the cab is about 800m therefore I get around 30mbps. I have spoken to a local openreach engineer and he told me the estate is fully ducted so it should be a reasonable quote.
There has been a new part of the estate built recently and they all have native FTTP so I assume the infrastructure is there and reasonably close by.
I just can't understand how there are only 5 properties passed frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Aug-19 08:32:58
Print Post

[re: quadrophenic] [link to this post]

I just can't understand how there are only 5 properties passed

Because thatís how many other current copper connections come from the same copper DP node as your line.

Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 13-Aug-19 09:34:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
In reply to a post by quadrophenic:
I just can't understand how there are only 5 properties passed

Because thatís how many other current copper connections come from the same copper DP node as your line.
Lots of people have been (and will be) confused by the term 'properties passed' but as Zarjaz says its the number of other properties from your copper DP which is 'normally' at the top of your nearest telephone pole if you're feed overhead or footway box if you're served underground.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 13-Aug-19 09:47:06
Print Post

slightly eye watering £12,400 with only 5 properties passed

There's a good chance that your final bill would be less than that, maybe even half. But you'll have to pay £250+VAT to find out.

If you run a business, you may be eligible for £2,500 DCMA gigabit voucher.

"Properties passed" means "properties where service is available to order" - not the properties which the fibre cable goes past on its way to your property. The fibre cable can't be cut to provide service to other people.

That is, they will put in a fibre Connectorised Block Terminal (CBT) to serve you, and there are five properties altogether which can be served from that point. They'll also have WBC FTTP available (at no charge) once your FTTPoD order is fulfilled.

You could try to club together with one or two of them to share the cost, but note that the actual set of properties passed won't be finalised until the survey is complete, so it may change.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 13-Aug-19 09:57:23
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
]Someone here may know the exact distance allowed between telephone poles carrying fibre but I think I recall 70 metre so if I'm correct would mean around 9 poles which would add about 5k to your quote (based on the price per pole you stated), alternatively 600m of duct laying I would expect to be even more costly.

Alternatively Openreach could stop navel gazing and mole plough either ducting or SWA cable in the verge for a fraction of the price of either poles or traditional trenching. I can't see that happening but someone needs to put a rocket up the backside of Openreach.
Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 13-Aug-19 14:58:30
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Alternatively Openreach could stop navel gazing and mole plough either ducting or SWA cable in the verge for a fraction of the price of either poles or traditional trenching. I can't see that happening but someone needs to put a rocket up the backside of Openreach.
Thanks for that positive reply, it was well worth the wait.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 13-Aug-19 17:12:08
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Jabuzzard

I remember 35 years ago BT mole ploughed a length of cable to serve a farmhouse in Lincolnshire, the next autumn the farmer complained his service had failed as the cable had 'broken' when the engineer got to site to joint the cable the farmer handed him a whole set of bits of cable all the width of a plough furrow in length where he had ploughed it up again after ripping the hedge alongside out. He then had the cheek to complain when they took over a week to replace the lot (500m+).
Standard User bomber456
(committed) Mon 19-Aug-19 19:46:42
Print Post

Hi, new to the forum and this discussion. Very interesting to see everyone's FTTPoD journey! I recently requested a desktop quote from Cerberus and was quoted an slightly eye watering £12,400 with only 5 properties passed. I live on a fairly densely populated housing estate. There is currently FTTC but since we live at the back of the estate the distance to the cab is about 800m therefore I get around 30mbps. I have spoken to a local openreach engineer and he told me the estate is fully ducted so it should be a reasonable quote.
There has been a new part of the estate built recently and they all have native FTTP so I assume the infrastructure is there and reasonably close by.

This sounds exactly the same as my situation.
Currently can get about 30mbps max on FTTC, near by new build estate has native FTTP.
Nearest cab is about 800m away.
Paid for them to quote, and it was £8.5k!
So Iím just waiting for them to do it as part of the fibre first scheme in Swansea, although could take a few years!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to