General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User quadrophenic
(newbie) Tue 20-Aug-19 09:57:53
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
In reply to a post by quadrophenic:
slightly eye watering £12,400 with only 5 properties passed

There's a good chance that your final bill would be less than that, maybe even half. But you'll have to pay £250+VAT to find out.

If you run a business, you may be eligible for £2,500 DCMA gigabit voucher.

In reply to a post by quadrophenic:
I just can't understand how there are only 5 properties passed frown

"Properties passed" means "properties where service is available to order" - not the properties which the fibre cable goes past on its way to your property. The fibre cable can't be cut to provide service to other people.

That is, they will put in a fibre Connectorised Block Terminal (CBT) to serve you, and there are five properties altogether which can be served from that point. They'll also have WBC FTTP available (at no charge) once your FTTPoD order is fulfilled.

You could try to club together with one or two of them to share the cost, but note that the actual set of properties passed won't be finalised until the survey is complete, so it may change.

Thank you for the replies. The properties passed thing makes a bit more sense now. As the estate is ducted it looks like we have a footway box just outside our property. Sadly I don't run a business so no voucher possibility. I have registered with the openreach community fibre partnership and trying to drum up a bit of local interest. Sadly if I am only able to target 5 properties that limits my chance of success a bit.
I know I should just wait but it feels like any improvements will be years away. I would be happy if they could provide the VDSL2 (60-80mbps) speeds but again it is a case of waiting and praying for them to do something of their own accord.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 20-Aug-19 10:26:25
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Well clearly they didn't mole plough it deep enough first time around smile One would say you need to be targeting 400mm+ across a field or along a hedgerow for this reason.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Aug-19 11:36:12
Print Post

[re: quadrophenic] [link to this post]

I have registered with the openreach community fibre partnership and trying to drum up a bit of local interest. Sadly if I am only able to target 5 properties that limits my chance of success a bit.

The Community Fibre Partnership wouldn't be limited to those 5 properties.
It's simply that FTTP would have been enabled for free on 5 properties if you had taken FTTPoD.

You can target a larger area for the CFP if you wish.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E300
(newbie) Sun 25-Aug-19 18:06:40
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

Further update. Had a few days of 3 or 4 Openreach vans and engineers along the road. Fibre is now connected up into DP, an engineer has been here over a couple of days (few hours each day) connected up to the DP with some kit doing some testing. Not sure if that testing has been successful or not, however the DSL availability checker still says FTTP on Demand and not FTTP WBC available, so perhaps the testing has shown a problem or that only changes once the FTTP on Demand customer is completed and live.

Openreach on one of the busy days here (4 vans) wanted to pull rope through from all the houses on the DP ready for orders, unfortunately for me there is a blockage and they couldn't rope it. Annoying as the surveyor also had problems and couldn't get through so a shame that wasn't checked sooner and fixed at the same time as the blockage at the other end. Now waiting for work to start to dig down and unblock the duct.

Status updates from Cerberus don't really reflect what is happening in the present and are typically at least 2-3 weeks behind, at least the ones I've been getting are.

So now on 85 days since confirming the go ahead, we have an 8 way connectorised block in the DP, although I'm not sure if it has passed testing. A blockage now needs to be removed my end so waiting on that, nothing on roadworks.org yet.

85 days isn't too bad to get to this point compared to some installations posted about I suppose.
Standard User slimj
(member) Tue 27-Aug-19 12:12:27
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

Hi all,

Has anyone tried to get a quote when fibre has been run close by to their address?

Reason I ask is that Openreach have run fibre cabling, past our group of houses (CT12 4LL), to feed the small village that is on sub 2mb ADSL as they do not have FTTC access (no cabinet - CT3 1JB). While this is not active yet, cabling work appears near complete and Openreach were splicing cables in 2 underground chambers on Friday, I'd imagine this should be live in the coming months.

The fibre cabling runs over the same pole as our copper DP, and there is a splitter/node present on the pole (similar to this) but no connectorised block terminal at this stage. Looking at this, it does appear that it wouldn't be that difficult to run cabling from this splitter/node over 3 poles to terminate with a connectorised block terminal on our pole where 7 properties/lines are fed from.

We had an issue with our line recently and I did ask the engineer, but he didn't know, but advised us to just register interest with Openreach and they should be able to enable this in the future (a few of us have already registered).

Personally I'd prefer not to spend money where I don't need to as our speeds are acceptable at around 20-25mbit), but if it's a reasonable cost and Openreach have no short term plans to enable us then I may consider the FTTPoD option in the future.

Cheers.
Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 27-Aug-19 12:20:25
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by slimj:
Hi all,

Has anyone tried to get a quote when fibre has been run close by to their address?

Reason I ask is that Openreach have run fibre cabling, past our group of houses (CT12 4LL), to feed the small village that is on sub 2mb ADSL as they do not have FTTC access (no cabinet - CT3 1JB). While this is not active yet, cabling work appears near complete and Openreach were splicing cables in 2 underground chambers on Friday, I'd imagine this should be live in the coming months.

The fibre cabling runs over the same pole as our copper DP, and there is a splitter/node present on the pole (similar to this) but no connectorised block terminal at this stage. Looking at this, it does appear that it wouldn't be that difficult to run cabling from this splitter/node over 3 poles to terminate with a connectorised block terminal on our pole where 7 properties/lines are fed from.

We had an issue with our line recently and I did ask the engineer, but he didn't know, but advised us to just register interest with Openreach and they should be able to enable this in the future (a few of us have already registered).

Personally I'd prefer not to spend money where I don't need to as our speeds are acceptable at around 20-25mbit), but if it's a reasonable cost and Openreach have no short term plans to enable us then I may consider the FTTPoD option in the future.

Cheers.
I believe its a track joint not a splitter/node you have on your pole, Its not clear if its before or after the splitter that services the small village.
Standard User slimj
(member) Tue 27-Aug-19 13:15:53
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
I believe its a track joint not a splitter/node you have on your pole, Its not clear if its before or after the splitter that services the small village.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

This is located before the village (it's a 2km road to the village, cabling all run overground, the DP is located around 200m from the start of the road). I would imagine they have located this node here to enable us at a future date as otherwise they could have just continued the cable run without a joint?

There are another 2 slightly further down the road before cables go under ground for a short distance near power lines but otherwise there's no properties between us and the village - most of the cable span there are no splitters/nodes.

This is a clearer picture (and looks identical to what's located on our pole - oval in shape). I saw an engineer splicing cables on trays on one of these in the underground chambers so would assume they are the same (there's no underground chambers along this road).

Edited by slimj (Tue 27-Aug-19 13:43:31)

Standard User busterboy
(member) Tue 27-Aug-19 13:50:20
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by slimj:
In reply to a post by dect:

Hi, thanks for the reply.

This is located before the village (it's a 2km road to the village, cabling all run overground, the DP is located around 200m from the start of the road). I would imagine they have located this node here to enable us at a future date as otherwise they could have just continued the cable run without a joint?

There are another 2 slightly further down the road before cables go under ground for a short distance near power lines but otherwise there's no properties between us and the village - most of the cable span there are no splitters/nodes.

This is a clearer picture (and looks identical to what's located on our pole - oval in shape). I saw an engineer splicing cables on trays on one of these in the underground chambers so would assume they are the same (there's no underground chambers along this road).

You have most of the village connected to FTTP then.

update at 18th November 2018

Openreach has decided that it makes sense to include the remaining properties in West Littleton in the planned rollout of FTTP to a neighbouring hamlet of WestEnd, Marshfield which is scheduled to complete the necessary stages of package definition and be submitted to South Gloucestershire Council by the end of this year for decisions on funding.

BTBroadband
Standard User slimj
(member) Tue 27-Aug-19 15:34:05
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:
You have most of the village connected to FTTP then.

I'm not sure how this relates to me as this is not in my area? There is however another area off the same exchange also being prepared for FTTP.
Standard User LordVader
(member) Tue 27-Aug-19 15:38:32
Print Post

[re: Retron] [link to this post]

Got my quote back today from Cerberus.

Estimated Build Cost: £6,800.00 ex VAT
Openreach estimate that the distance to the fibre aggregation node serving your premises is 400 - 599m

Number of premises passed for FTTP: 4

Is it possible to find out the addresses passed to see if they would be interested in sharing cost?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | [12] | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to