General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sun 01-Sep-19 18:39:04
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

So that I can take a second fibre service later, onto a second ONT, without having to re-pull through the underground ducts and the attic.
Standard User brookheather
(member) Sun 01-Sep-19 21:46:18
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

I thought you could run four fibre services on one cable - you just get the ONT changed to a 4 port model?

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Standard User dect
(committed) Sun 01-Sep-19 22:37:36
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brookheather:
I thought you could run four fibre services on one cable - you just get the ONT changed to a 4 port model?
I think by getting a second connectorised cable pulled through ready candlerb has got options, either a 4 port ONT (if available) using the existing fibre or a second 1 port ONT connected to the second fibre.

The thing I'm most impressed with is the Openreach engineer was prepared to pull the second connectorised cable through.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sun 01-Sep-19 22:55:07
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
The thing I'm most impressed with is the Openreach engineer was prepared to pull the second connectorised cable through.

It wasn't connectorised - just cut. If and when the second ONT goes in, it will still need pigtails splicing at each end.
Standard User Alucidnation
(member) Mon 02-Sep-19 06:49:53
Print Post

Considering how Openreach are, I am surprised they even pulled in a second cable.

Draytek 2862.
Standard User dect
(committed) Mon 02-Sep-19 09:02:09
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
It wasn't connectorised - just cut. If and when the second ONT goes in, it will still need pigtails splicing at each end.

But you said in your other post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
There's no external splice box: the cables were pulled in one piece from the pavement chamber to the ONT. In the pavement chamber there's a 4-port CBT.

I believe connectorised means the fibre cable from the property has a pre-connected connector at the CBT end not the ONT end, are you saying the connector on fibre cable at the CBT end in the underground chamber was added manually as that would seem strange.

Edited by dect (Mon 02-Sep-19 09:07:37)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 02-Sep-19 09:27:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by dect:
I believe connectorised means it has a pre-connected connector at the CBT end not the ONT end, are you saying the connector at the CBT end in the underground chamber was added manually as that would be strange.

I didn't see what went on in the chamber end. If what you describe is standard practice (i.e. the cable is pre-connectorised at one end only) then I expect you're right.

The drums of cable seemed pretty large to me.

I did see that the cable was pulled *towards* the ONT location, and it was not connectorised as it emerged at that end. So if it was pre-connectorised at the other end, the drum would have had to be completely unspooled and all the slack pulled through, before cutting. That could have happened - I only checked in occasionally to deliver cups of tea smile
Standard User dect
(committed) Mon 02-Sep-19 10:25:14
Print Post

Does anyone have a picture of a CBT mounted in an underground chamber?
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Mon 02-Sep-19 10:41:15
Print Post

Future of FTTP blog

Edited by Realalemadrid (Mon 02-Sep-19 10:46:54)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Sep-19 11:04:46
Print Post

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

Nothing unusual about having multiple fibres to a property. I had 4 fibre strands blown to my external CSP, with 3 kept as spares:

https://i.postimg.cc/KvgRdSnp/IMG-0360.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/3w3N4kzz/IMG-0361.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/GmF9mFgk/IMG-0362.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/W1LhVW8N/IMG-0363.jpg

So in a connectorised (newer) install I don't see why Openreach would refuse a second fibre cable (since each connectorised link only has 1 fibre strand) if you gave them a valid reason, eg provisioning of additional FTTP services in future.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Pages in this thread: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to