General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | [15] | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Sep-19 12:27:56
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Yep, that’s how it works. Often a PITA with the longer kits, making sure it doesn’t kink or knot.

Standard User LordVader
(member) Thu 05-Sep-19 12:38:15
Print Post

Well a check over on the openreach fiber checker past few days it showing

"Faster and more reliable fibre is coming to your area soon" again

Not sure what to do really
Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 05-Sep-19 16:08:49
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Does anyone know what happens when the route between the CBT and the property means the connectorised fibre cable has to go overhead between poles before then going underground via ducting to the property? the reason I ask is I thought there were different connectorised fibre cables for overhead and ducting so what one would they use?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Sep-19 17:40:18
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

They’d use an OH kit all the way. The overhead stuff has steel strengthening also.

Have done a couple of this sort of scenario. Starts o/h then duct to the premises. Or the other way round. Wall mounted CBT, through duct, up the stick, four spans then in.

Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 05-Sep-19 18:26:47
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
They’d use an OH kit all the way. The overhead stuff has steel strengthening also.

Have done a couple of this sort of scenario. Starts o/h then duct to the premises. Or the other way round. Wall mounted CBT, through duct, up the stick, four spans then in.
Thanks for clarifying
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Tue 10-Sep-19 11:09:35
Print Post

Wow, Congratulations. An epic install.

All the internet is now yours!

As a side note, the customers have been hammering our connection over the summer. Hitting a peak in August of 2.5TB of data. We use to max out at 0.5TB prior to Fibre.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Wed 11-Sep-19 16:37:00
Print Post

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

I guess more pertinent than the amount of data downloaded is what is the peak bandwidth used. Hopefully your marketing now notes you have excellent WiFi smile
Standard User brookheather
(member) Wed 11-Sep-19 19:35:33
Print Post

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

Our monthly usage (download|+upload) is between 2TB to 3TB per month - that's for a family of five people.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Standard User gillsbay
(newbie) Wed 11-Sep-19 20:48:26
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

I requested a desktop quote at the end of August, received 10 days later

Estimated Build Cost: £18,200.00 ex VAT

The build charge includes the estimate for the work and materials required to deliver the service. It also includes the connection charge.

Number of premises passed for FTTP: 8

Openreach estimate that the distance to the fibre aggregation node serving your premises is 0 - 199m.

I feel the estimate is very high for that distance, OR should know that the duct is clear as they have recently pulled fibre through it to a cabinet (which I am not connected to).
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 12-Sep-19 05:46:58
Print Post

[re: gillsbay] [link to this post]

They may just be trying to dissuade tyre-kickers. Also, in general I think they do minimal work for the free desktop quote, and won't have checked records from when cables were last pulled.

If you can afford to take the gamble with £250+VAT, a survey by a real human may come up with a much more reasonable answer. Or not - it's a chance you have to take.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | [15] | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to