General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | [16] | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 12-Sep-19 08:28:23
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
in general I think they do minimal work for the free desktop quote
My understanding is the desktop quote is computer generated via price estimation software but that relies on what level of detail they have for the specific property (e.g. more than the copper pair routing info).
Standard User bedrock
(member) Thu 12-Sep-19 08:44:17
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

My desktop quote (18 months ago) came back in the 39k club. 6 months after that OR installed native WBC FTTP. I guess If I had of paid £250+VAT someone would of figured it out.

BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 12-Sep-19 11:32:51
Print Post

[re: bedrock] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bedrock:
My desktop quote (18 months ago) came back in the 39k club. 6 months after that OR installed native WBC FTTP. I guess If I had of paid £250+VAT someone would of figured it out.
There was one forum member on 'candlerb' spreadsheet who found out they were scheduled for native FTTP when they requested a FTTPoD survey and Openreach refused to progress it because of the native FTTP already being planned.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User darren_mccoy
(newbie) Fri 13-Sep-19 13:31:06
Print Post

I finally got my quote through today. The desktop quote was £21800 + VAT my final quote is £10191 + VAT. Im over the moon can't wait to get it installed now.

Edited by darren_mccoy (Fri 13-Sep-19 13:31:50)

Standard User dect
(committed) Fri 13-Sep-19 15:08:03
Print Post

[re: darren_mccoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by darren_mccoy:
I finally got my quote through today. The desktop quote was £21800 + VAT my final quote is £10191 + VAT. Im over the moon can't wait to get it installed now.
Good luck, keep us posted with progress.
Standard User syserr0r
(newbie) Tue 17-Sep-19 11:50:33
Print Post

Looking to join the FTTPoD club in an underground-fed new-build property.

Desktop quote came back at £7,800 exVAT (up from £6,600 in Dec 2018); 11 properties passed, estimated at 400-599m to aggregation node.

Surveyor contacted today and was shocked at the desktop quote given no building works were required, just cable pulling.

Will see him tomorrow to photograph termination point as I wasn't about.
Fingers crossed the quote is reasonable and installation doesn't take too long.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Sep-19 12:03:26
Print Post

[re: syserr0r] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by syserr0r:
Surveyor contacted today and was shocked at the desktop quote given no building works were required, just cable pulling.

Even for a relatively new property, FTTPoD is helluva lot more than "just cable pulling" hence why it costs £1000s. See my install feedback for the various stages involved - I also live in a fairly new home:

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4552969-my...

Fluidata FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Openreach 4+2 ONT Huawei HG8240
Netgear RAX200 AX11000

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 17-Sep-19 12:04:29)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Sep-19 12:40:31
Print Post

In my opinion many of the surveyors don't have a Scooby doo what's involved in the pricing.
Many surveyors have incorrectly advised about the location of Agg Nodes, suggested entire streets would be enabled with orders and made hints that quotes would be small when they turned out to be rather large.

There was even a surveyors recently telling a customer that 2 Agg Nodes would be installed as part of their FTTPoD build.
1 next door and 1 across the street.
This is nonsense. You can't even order FTTPoD without already being "served by" an Agg Node.
It's extremely rare that 1 would need installed for an FTTPoD build, definitely not 2.

Speaking to 1 of surveyors recently it sounds like they only survey the area and mark what's where and it's not them that do the actual costing.
From the many comments on these threads some don't even appear to know the architecture of OpenReachs FTTP build.

Many of the recent quotes we have seen have had a few thousand £ on Labour and a few thousand £ on Stores, even for short distances.
It's the troublesome, longer distance jobs that also have Civils/Civil Stores.

Don't get your hopes up that from the surveyors comments your final quote will come in considerably lower than the desktop quote.

Your build will need Splitter Nodes, Distribution Points, fibre joints made.
It's pretty naive to suggest it's just pulling a few cables imo.

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 17-Sep-19 12:42:34)

Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 17-Sep-19 13:27:15
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Your build will need Splitter Nodes, Distribution Points, fibre joints made.
It's pretty naive to suggest it's just pulling a few cables imo.

It is, but getting the cable from A to B is always the vast bulk of any work for a cabling job. Consequently if there are unblocked ducts between A and B (likely in a relatively new build) which would make the job way way easier then the costs should be quite low as there will be no civils (aka diggin up a road) involved.

Note this would feed into the hints that there might be a whole bunch of old-new estates going to be fibre enabled in the near future. That is if you want to get to fibre enable as many properties as possible as quickly and as cheaply as possible do those that are easy first. Recently built estates that are fully ducted but not fibre enabled are a good target, especially if they didn't get a fibre twin or have poor speeds as takeup will likely be high too.
Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 17-Sep-19 17:21:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by syserr0r:
Looking to join the FTTPoD club in an underground-fed new-build property.

Desktop quote came back at £7,800 exVAT (up from £6,600 in Dec 2018); 11 properties passed, estimated at 400-599m to aggregation node.

Will see him tomorrow to photograph termination point as I wasn't about.
Fingers crossed the quote is reasonable and installation doesn't take too long.
The price will be what it will be, others have made good points why the final price may still be high. You have to decide if the benefit of FTTP for you is worth the expense.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | [16] | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to