General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | [17] | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 17-Sep-19 19:31:09
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Zarjaz

If my DP has more than 34 Premises served , counting Drop wires but eyes get confused as so many!, would they all count as premises passed.?

Think it is actually more like 40 as two cables are much thicker and split into 4s on the side of two sets of Flats (4 in each block).

Thanks
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Sep-19 20:50:47
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Your build will need Splitter Nodes, Distribution Points, fibre joints made.
It's pretty naive to suggest it's just pulling a few cables imo.

It is, but getting the cable from A to B is always the vast bulk of any work for a cabling job. Consequently if there are unblocked ducts between A and B (likely in a relatively new build) which would make the job way way easier then the costs should be quite low as there will be no civils (aka diggin up a road) involved.

Bulk of the work maybe.
Bulk of the cost not so in recent quotes.

This quote for example
The confirmed build charge is £13,829.00 + VAT

This includes the reduction for the survey and a deduction of £1,300.00 for premises passed. A breakdown of the charges is below:

Labour
£5,446.00
Contract Labour
£748.00
Civils
£3,890.00
Stores
£4,800.00
Civils Stores
£0.00
Tree cutting
£0.00
BT Connection Charge
£495.00
Deductions
-£250.00
Deductions
-£1,300.00
Total
£13,829.00

For < 800M. the estate opposite has FTTP (new-build development) so I expected it to be significantly less

Labour and stores over £8k alone.

The next quote in the thread was the same

A breakdown of the charges is below:
Labour £4,735.00
Contract Labour £0.00
Civils £750.00
Stores £3,585.00
Civils Stores £0.00
Tree cutting £0.00

£8k on Labour and stores.

The very next quote again

Labour: £4,970.00
Contract Labour: £625.00
Civils: £950.00
Stores: £3,445.00
Civils Stores: £0.00
Tree cutting: £0.00

Over 8k on Labour and stores again.

You get the picture.
The very next quote is the same again, over 8k on Labour/Stores.

Seems to be a recent pattern. If the user above goes ahead with a survey I'll throw my guess that it will be £8k in Labour/Stores. Not just a bit of cabling if you ask me.

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 17-Sep-19 20:51:20)

Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Wed 18-Sep-19 00:46:27
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Steveham,

missed your post as had a lot on. We did a bunch of digging but through prime lawn so used a turf cutter to strip off clean turf before trenching and then put ducting in, backfill and relay turf. Worked really well and lawn back to perfect.

The only thing I would say is we were given 80 lengths of 3m duct which was a PITA, would have preferred a roll of continuous duct but OR never offered it. If you can handle it then ask surveyor for a roll rather than sections. I can see 3m sections being their default for 'domestic' but the longer the ducting the more bits.. Telehandler, pallet forks, and a scaffold pole normally do us for putting in electric cables off drums. But the roll for ducting is roughly 2m diameter from the roll I saw for the road.

Good luck.
Dave

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Wed 18-Sep-19 00:48:50
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

Blimey 2.5-3TB for 5? Mind the kids are only just getting old enough to be getting into Netflix and don't do gaming.

Will tell the customers to buck their ideas up. smile
Dave
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Wed 18-Sep-19 00:55:07
Print Post

Jazz,

Yes, front page news on the website! Bandwidth usage gets nothing near our theoretical 330Mbps. I have capped individuals at 50Mbps each, but with up to 40 people on site they would max out at 8Mbps each. But someone better qualified on here pointed out that once you get over a certain threshold the network goes 'quiet'. Previously any large requests would take bandwidth for 5-minutes, a second user downloading would mean the initial request became 10-minutes, and suddenly you have network congestion slowing everything down.
But with enough bandwidth then request 1 is served in 10secs before the 2nd request comes along. So whenever you look the network is quiet. It's great.

I now ask guests to stream stuff.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Sep-19 06:13:41
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Good question.

My guess would be no ... they’d fit a 12 port CBT,(sounds crowded on top of your pole) so only 11 would be passed .....

Happy to discover otherwise though.

Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 18-Sep-19 09:44:35
Print Post

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

Hi Dave,

Hope all is good,

I remember the posts back in February about your self dig and the pics of the ducting on a drum, I would be surprised if Openreach would be prepared to supply those very large drums to end users.

The ducting outside dimensions are also different than the 3 metre lengths as the walls are a lot thicker, for example the 3m lengths you got (BT Ducting 56) were 54mm outside and the ducting on a roll had 63mm outside although the inside dimensions are both 50mm so neither of these should be confused with the 96mm ducting (BT Duct 54D)

Here are the posts including your pics which may help others

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4613926-re...

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4613934-re...
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Wed 18-Sep-19 11:06:40
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Dect,

Yes all good.

I don't suppose they will but worth asking. It's just the silly short segments weren't too bad for the distance we were doing but a roll would have been easier (for us). The sections aren't water tight, make rodding more difficult and will be more susceptible to roots growing through joints than a roll.

And if pulling across fields as mentioned then distances can really mount up. Our water meter is over 600m from the house with a 500m straight stretch across a field. That would be 150 sections! Now a few rural properties round here could have 2km of fields down to the main road, imagine pushing over 650 sections together my hand. Although at that point they will want ground boxes installed. But would be far cheaper to self install ducting on own land than have OpenReach install it along a rural road.

The pics bring back happy memories of slow broadband, and fiddling with plastic pipes in a wet cold trench, but definitely all worth it.

Dave

Edited by F00tS0re (Wed 18-Sep-19 12:06:52)

Standard User shaunhw
(experienced) Wed 18-Sep-19 17:13:55
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5 *DE

Post deleted by shaunhw due to having quoted wrong person

Edited by shaunhw (Wed 18-Sep-19 17:26:15)

Standard User shaunhw
(experienced) Wed 18-Sep-19 17:24:25
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

There was even a surveyors recently telling a customer that 2 Agg Nodes would be installed as part of their FTTPoD build.
1 next door and 1 across the street.
This is nonsense. You can't even order FTTPoD without already being "served by" an Agg Node.

I think that was me, as I'd posted that in this thread. I did get a quote after that survey and I've gone for it, but it's more expensive than I had hoped. It was actually £9,700+vat on the desktop and the cost quoted from the survey was actually £10,371.27+vat - which is quite a lot of money.
But I bought a brand new car, nearly three years ago which has done just 10,000 miles, so why isn't that a waste of money but this is?

I use the internet for work (at home), and often for play, much much more than I use my car, so I thought I would go for it, and now I'm just waiting for something or other to happen. Apparently I should know more in 2 to 3 weeks according to the supplier.

As for the cost - At that amount it seems that it does go back to the REAL agnode which is over 1km away from me according to the desktop survey.

So I don't know what the OpenReach surveyer was on about. But he was doing the whole street not just mine, so I got a survey very quickly. One interesting thing I noticed is that the houses (including mine) located near the so called "agnodes" the surveyor was on about, can now order 1000mbs/sec FTTPoD, wheras the houses much nearer the actual agnode, further up the road can still only order 330mbits/sec FTTPoD this being according to the bt wholesale checker, which of course maybe not fully correct.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by shaunhw (Wed 18-Sep-19 17:29:33)

Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | [17] | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to