General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | [18] | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 19-Sep-19 08:48:57
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: shaunhw] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shaunhw:
But I bought a brand new car, nearly three years ago which has done just 10,000 miles, so why isn't that a waste of money but this is?
Hi shaunhw

I read j0hn83 post differently than you, I don't believe he was saying that it would be a waste of money,

It was more around some of the strange comments made by the surveyors and the fact that the final prices sometimes includes large costs for more that just the actual fibre cable.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Thu 19-Sep-19 10:34:00
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Bulk of the work maybe.
Bulk of the cost not so in recent quotes.

Yeah, I compared those labour numbers with the full costings for posts at work (University in the central belt Scotland) which has easily accessible figures for how much a post actually costs the University rather than the employee's pay. It's essential information when academics apply for grants. So this has all the overheads taken care of and I can easily compare it back to the what the pay is. I firmly believe that these should be comparable to Openreach's costings, and if they are not then Openreach need to sort themselves out.

There are three conclusion that can be drawn in my view. First option is that Openreach workers are a lazy bunch of sods and take stupidly long times to do things. I don't believe that. Second that the Openreach workers are extraordinarily well paid (we are talking something close to double median income), again I don't believe that's the case either. Thirdly that Openreach are well overcharging for the work.

My guess is the third option, in that Openreach are making a profit on installing FTTPoD, rather than doing it at cost and making the profit on the service subsequently, which is IMHO what should be happening, especially as they are getting some of their FTTP build out paid for by someone else.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 19-Sep-19 11:56:32
Print Post

[re: shaunhw] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shaunhw:
One interesting thing I noticed is that the houses (including mine) located near the so called "agnodes" the surveyor was on about, can now order 1000mbs/sec FTTPoD, wheras the houses much nearer the actual agnode, further up the road can still only order 330mbits/sec FTTPoD this being according to the bt wholesale checker, which of course maybe not fully correct.

FTTPoD is now up to 1000/220 everywhere, except areas with ECI kit. However it doesn't get updated in the availability database until they have some other reason to touch the record.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Sep-19 12:19:06
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
FTTPoD is now up to 1000/220 everywhere, except areas with ECI kit. However it doesn't get updated in the availability database until they have some other reason to touch the record.

BT Wholesale don't sell anything above 330/30 on FTTPoD, irrespective of what the DSL checker shows. Only CPs such as Spectrum - who can bypass BT Wholesale in certain areas - can offer 1000/220 on FTTPoD but this will be in very few areas. The likes of Cerberus & FluidOne certainly won't sell you anythging above 330/30 on FTTPoD at present.

Fluidata FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Openreach 4+2 ONT Huawei HG8240
Netgear RAX200 AX11000
Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 19-Sep-19 12:25:33
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Openreach workers are a lazy bunch of sods and take stupidly long times to do things.
My experience is some are and some are not but on average no different than most other large organisations.
Openreach workers are extraordinarily well paid
Again I believe they are paid average wages for the work they do although compared to companies like Kelly's they are better paid.
Openreach are well overcharging for the work.
Wouldn't say overcharging but having read the cost some on here are being charged I don't believe there is a link between the work and what you get charged, people going for FTTPoD are also paying a premium for being early adopters in their area and the product is also really targeted at businesses.
Standard User Alvintc
(newbie) Thu 19-Sep-19 12:45:25
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Well an update from me - still wish I hadn't bothered. Almost a year since the desktop survey and 9 months after going ahead, no FTTPoD.

On the plus side, since my moaning below - I suddenly get my weekly updates when I should. Could be a massive coincidence but looking at the history, they restart and have been on time since the 14th of June...

In reply to a post by Alvintc:
For me it's the continual slippages (beyond Cerberus' control) but the complete disregard for their own policies.

On every email they put when to expect the next update - and then miss their own imposed deadline every single time.

When challenged they state that BT provides updates late in the day so I might not get my update until another time.

My response of why don't you move your update schedule is simply ignored.

In all honesty the moment I paid the invoice & sales were no longer involved is when everything just went to the "can't be bothered" pile.

I know it'll eventually get installed & @ that point I'm just ticking the time down until contract is up!

Well, that prompted more responses than I expected.

OK, my issue is not with BT/ Timescales - I understand that.

My issue is that throughout the ordering process Cerberus were excellent. Incredibly responsive and diligent in their answers (it was actually them that pointed me over here). It was very much a case that I'd ask a question, get not only that answer but also the answer to my likely follow-up question.

I found this incredibly reassuring as it meant they'd done this before.

Then I paid the full invoice and get handed off to the admin team, this is where my issues are.

Every email has a tagline telling me when my next update is, they miss this pretty much every single week.

When challenged they state it's because they receive the BT updates late in the day, I understand that, so why not move your update to the subsequent day = no response.

Key events are not updated (in my case the survey & blockage clearance) I tend to have more knowledge of or they don't make any contact.

I have several boxes that will be relocated once the service goes live, this takes planning to ensure there's no interruption and I have to give notice to the current DC so need some certainty.

If I operated my business in the same way I'd have a lot less customers, the main reason for the frustration is that it's a pretty easy fix:

Do what you say you will, when you say you will. Follow up at key points.

Project management 101....

Wow. This really has gone off topic.

I'm pretty certain I've mentioned it multiple times... My issue is not with the timescales or delays.

I understand all of these (note, that's understanding not agreement!). My issue (and my thoughts on beginning to wish I'd never started this) is purely aimed at how Cerberus are not able to:
1. Keep to their update schedule
2. Make contact on key events

To reiterate - the timescales they've imposed are their own, they're update process is their own.
Them missing it is purely as they're not doing their job.

Case in point, my duct clearance has moved 3 times so far. Not once has Cerberus contacted me to confirm it has/ has not happened on the scheduled dates.

I know it hasn't happened when there's no closures near me. I also know it's not happened this week as the roadworks site list it was moved to 10/12. So what'll happen next is:
1. There will be no update from Cerberus (I'm meant to have my weekly update & also an event should have occurred)
2. I'll make contact tomorrow asking where the update is
3. They'll respond with BT have informed us the works were not completed, they're now scheduled to XX (my above dates I already know), they'll say your next update will be on Thursday next week

Then we'll repeat.

MY argument is "how difficult is it to set yourself a reminder to update cases & contact the customer"?

If you can't do it in a week, move it to 2 weeks - I don't care, it's not about the timescales it's about doing what you say you will!
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Thu 19-Sep-19 14:16:55
Print Post

[re: Alvintc] [link to this post]

Well an update from me - still wish I hadn't bothered. Almost a year since the desktop survey and 9 months after going ahead, no FTTPoD.

On the plus side, since my moaning below - I suddenly get my weekly updates when I should. Could be a massive coincidence but looking at the history, they restart and have been on time since the 14th of June...

So the Cerberus admin makes sure they send you the latest update from Openreach on a Thursday, even if they don't get the update until Friday morning. The update is now received on time, but potentially a week old. That must really be a weight off your mind knowing you will get 'an' update on the Thursday.

An update passed from Engineer, into Openreach's systems, through their Project Management Team and onto Cerberus is always going to be behind the status you can get from looking out the window or even talking to the engineer in the hole.

You seem to be having a go at party that cannot control the delivery of the update, only Openreach can do that. And you can't have a go at Openreach, and Cerberus can't change the service provider that you chose (albeit with no choice). Confuscious would probably have something to say here.

Your timelines look about right for an FTTPoD install. 11-months is not that uncommon. Maybe your expectations weren't that realistic at the outset. It is not far off an experimental product that isn't advertised, and you have to sign a 'beta' disclosure just to take part. But one that provides a game changer in terms of broadband. Oh and costs a fortune.
Standard User Alvintc
(newbie) Thu 19-Sep-19 14:25:49
Print Post

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

I think you've missed my issue. The issue is the ONLY group that set the thursday update was Cerberus.

Due to the exact reasons you've listed, why wouldn't they pick Friday? Or Fortnightly (as I put previously)..
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Thu 19-Sep-19 15:06:38
Print Post

[re: Alvintc] [link to this post]

Because everyone knows Openreach issue on a Thursday, weekly. It takes about 5-minutes on Google to ascertain this, and you can even find process documents for the whole FTTPoD process online. If Cerberus issued on a Friday fortnightly everyone would complain about the extra day, and the missing weeks. Cerberus aim to get updates out as fast as possible after receiving them.

Thursday or Friday for the update make zero difference to how the project has actually moved along.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Thu 19-Sep-19 16:07:54
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Jabuzzard

I suspect it is the third option as at the prices OR sell the service on there is little chance of making a profit subsequently if there is inly 1 or 2 customers on the splitter ( or sometimes whole PON)

I suspect that they are only making an ongoing profit on new build sites where they get a much higher density of customers per equipment. Think of all the assets that FTTPoD has sitting there without much use especially if a new PON had to be provided for just one customer for £24.38 per month ( New pricing)..
Pages in this thread: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | [18] | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to