General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | [19] | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 19-Sep-19 17:34:16
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
BT Wholesale don't sell anything above 330/30 on FTTPoD, irrespective of what the DSL checker shows. Only CPs such as Spectrum - who can bypass BT Wholesale in certain areas - can offer 1000/220 on FTTPoD but this will be in very few areas. The likes of Cerberus & FluidOne certainly won't sell you anythging above 330/30 on FTTPoD at present.

I recently had FTTPoD installed by Cerberus, and they said it was possible to do an in-life upgrade to 1000/220 or 500/165. However, since this attracts a one-off charge of £1000, it would be more cost-effective just to wait until the end of the 12 month contract period when the setup cost drops to £500. (Or at that point I can just regrade 330/30 to 330/50, which is what I wanted to do anyway)
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Sep-19 18:08:25
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
BT Wholesale don't sell anything above 330/30 on FTTPoD, irrespective of what the DSL checker shows. Only CPs such as Spectrum - who can bypass BT Wholesale in certain areas - can offer 1000/220 on FTTPoD but this will be in very few areas. The likes of Cerberus & FluidOne certainly won't sell you anythging above 330/30 on FTTPoD at present.

I recently had FTTPoD installed by Cerberus, and they said it was possible to do an in-life upgrade to 1000/220 or 500/165. However, since this attracts a one-off charge of £1000, it would be more cost-effective just to wait until the end of the 12 month contract period when the setup cost drops to £500. (Or at that point I can just regrade 330/30 to 330/50, which is what I wanted to do anyway)

That's because after you've had FTTPoD installed, your line is treated as 'native' FTTP by Openreach which is why they were able to offer you upgrades mid-contract. Cerberus won't provision a new /fresh FTTPoD order at 500 or 1000 Mbps as BT Wholesale don't sell anything above 330/30 for FoD. Stupid I know...

Fluidata FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Openreach 4+2 ONT Huawei HG8240
Netgear RAX200 AX11000
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 19-Sep-19 19:21:09
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

That's because after you've had FTTPoD installed, your line is treated as 'native' FTTP by Openreach

Undoubtedly true for Openreach: but for the initial 12 month period of the FTTPoD service, Cerberus said BT Enterprise(*) did not offer an option of upgrading to 330/50 - only to 500 or 1000.

I suppose I could take a second FTTP service at 330/50 for 12 months, but that would be silly smile

(*) New name for BT Wholesale

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shaunhw
(experienced) Fri 20-Sep-19 19:37:02
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I read j0hn83 post differently than you, I don't believe he was saying that it would be a waste of money,

Please forgive me if I gave the impression that I thought he had said that. I didn't think he said that at all. I was just thinking back to another discussion I'd seen where someone said exactly the same as I did. In my case, I think an FTTPoD would have more value, that I am getting from the new car I bought, which has not been used very much at all.

I'm going to keep this car for longer, using the money I would have spent otherwise, for FTTPoD instead! Unless things change drastically I'll still have only done 20,000 miles if I keep the car for six years!

Regards,
Shaun.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Fri 20-Sep-19 20:34:38
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Zarjaz

I will have to wander around a Fibre first area ( Several exchanges in Cardiff) looking upwards and see what is on a busy pole, although I have never seen any with quite as crowded as ours. Back in 2004/5, before full separation, I had the debate with the Access architect in Martlesham who claimed no pole had more than 24 pairs, I ended up sending him a photo. He claimed it broke all the planning rules until everyone started sending him photo's from around the country with more than 24 pairs. ( Doing an FTTP ITT at the time).
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Sep-19 21:01:40
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

I could point folk to pole in Whitchurch, Hampshire, with 40 copper pairs, a manifold, and a CBT .....

Standard User dect
(committed) Sat 21-Sep-19 12:36:58
Print Post

[re: shaunhw] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shaunhw:
In my case, I think an FTTPoD would have more value, that I am getting from the new car I bought, which has not been used very much at all.
Hi shaunhw

You make a really good point about value for money and I like your car analogy.

Everyone will have different opinions as we all priorities our money differently. For some they invest money in their future and others in the here and now. There is no right and wrong as its your money and you spend it how you feel fit.
Standard User darren_mccoy
(newbie) Tue 01-Oct-19 18:09:10
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I was coming home from work today and to my surprise, there were a load of new poles up. I only completed my payment on the 13/9/2019, I was kind of thinking it would take six months before seeing anything like this. Is it all a coincidence?

Photo.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 01-Oct-19 18:39:25
Print Post

[re: darren_mccoy] [link to this post]

Anything on roadworks.org for your area? Worth keeping an eye on.
Standard User Disca
(learned) Thu 03-Oct-19 10:31:15
Print Post

[re: darren_mccoy] [link to this post]

If its anything like my ongoing install then prepare yourself for frustration because the progress is in very small bursts of activity followed by large gaps in between. Engineers turned up recently to do work on the pole outside my house and there was a branch in the way, so they left site and scheduled in a tree pruner (who did it about 3 days later). Not seen them since, another 2 weeks pass.

Its frustrating but as long as you remember there is no estimated date for install given its acceptable I guess. Their job scheduling is to blame I expect, its do a job, wait 2 weeks for someone to look at the job status, schedule in another action, 2 weeks later someone else arrives and says they cant do it, wait another 2 weeks. Cycle continues on and on until hopefully eventually its done smile
Pages in this thread: << 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | [19] | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to