General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-19 18:40:00
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: donkay] [link to this post]

Hi

Does sound quite expensive, but I think where the aggregation node is just isn't a good indicator of cost.

Despite what the surveyor said, I think properties passed are 8. This is your £1100 - £700 reduction given to you as the person placing the FoD order, leaving £400 / £50 reduction per properties served = 8. Count the wires on your telegraph pole, is it 8 including yours?

Also your PCP/FTTC cabinet is at the start of Hollybush Road. So I think they will lay fibre cable from the aggregation node back up to the FTTC/PCP cabinet (around 470 metres), from here they can then follow the route your existing telephone cable takes (possibly back down on the opposite side of the road) until it arrives at your telegraph pole, then its up to the top. At the PCP they will likely need to dig and add another chamber if space is currently limited.(Note that I'm not saying the FTTC/PCP cabinets are used in anyway for FTTP, just the location is a handy point to get to as that is where your telephone cables are starting their final route to your pole, plus ducting runs up to there already from the aggregation node.)

So whilst the aggregation node isn't very far from you, they will not just connect up a single fibre direct from there for your order, as that may mean digging up the road to cross over it and breaking into existing ducts. I also think aggregation nodes are important locations that aren't meant to serve customers directly, but fibre goes out from those to a primary splitter node, which they'll place up near the PCP/FTTC cabinets, which can then be used in the future for a full FTTP build out.

Regards

Phil

Edited by PhilipD (Mon 17-Jun-19 18:44:39)

Standard User candlerb
(committed) Mon 17-Jun-19 18:40:57
Print Post

Disappointing - although it seems in some cases surveyors have been talking about the location of the proposed splitter node, not the aggregation node that it connects to.

Did your written quote also give an indication of the distance to the aggregation node?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Jun-19 19:01:07
Print Post

It's most definitely not "those easily served by FTTPoD from the agg node" that counts as premises passes.
It's only those who will share a fibre DP.

I believe your deduction of £1,100 accounts for 21 properties and yourself. It's £50 per premise passed. Unless that's your total deduction, then it's less than that.
That's a lot less than the 40-50 the surveyor quoted you.

Edited by j0hn83 (Mon 17-Jun-19 19:03:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-19 19:16:28
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Hi

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
It's most definitely not "those easily served by FTTPoD from the agg node" that counts as premises passes.
It's only those who will share a fibre DP.

I believe your deduction of £1,100 accounts for 21 properties and yourself. It's £50 per premise passed. Unless that's your total deduction, then it's less than that.
That's a lot less than the 40-50 the surveyor quoted you.

No, it's not 21 properties. The discount includes a £700 amount for some reason as a discount to the person placing the FOD order, then it's £50 discount per property that will be able to order FTTP (usually only those on the same distribution point, so in this case on the same pole, again includes the person ordering).

So the total number served can be worked out as:

(Discount amount - 700) / 50. So £1100 - £700 / 50 = 8.

The discounts can be seen at FTTP on demand pricing and looking at the section "FTTP On Demand build charges and exemptions"

Regards

Phil
Standard User donkay
(newbie) Mon 17-Jun-19 19:33:57
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PhilipD:
Hi

Does sound quite expensive, but I think where the aggregation node is just isn't a good indicator of cost.

Despite what the surveyor said, I think properties passed are 8. This is your £1100 - £700 reduction given to you as the person placing the FoD order, leaving £400 / £50 reduction per properties served = 8. Count the wires on your telegraph pole, is it 8 including yours?

Also your PCP/FTTC cabinet is at the start of Hollybush Road. So I think they will lay fibre cable from the aggregation node back up to the FTTC/PCP cabinet (around 470 metres), from here they can then follow the route your existing telephone cable takes (possibly back down on the opposite side of the road) until it arrives at your telegraph pole, then its up to the top. At the PCP they will likely need to dig and add another chamber if space is currently limited.(Note that I'm not saying the FTTC/PCP cabinets are used in anyway for FTTP, just the location is a handy point to get to as that is where your telephone cables are starting their final route to your pole, plus ducting runs up to there already from the aggregation node.)

So whilst the aggregation node isn't very far from you, they will not just connect up a single fibre direct from there for your order, as that may mean digging up the road to cross over it and breaking into existing ducts. I also think aggregation nodes are important locations that aren't meant to serve customers directly, but fibre goes out from those to a primary splitter node, which they'll place up near the PCP/FTTC cabinets, which can then be used in the future for a full FTTP build out.

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil, thanks for the reply, I get the premises past thing now which looks correct looking at my pole.

Regarding the PCP/FTTC cab on Hollybush Road. The closest one of those is on Dan Y Coed Road opposite Nant Fawr Road I think? Surveyor said it was the agg node for sure where I've circled on the picture. Under the previous pricing scheme I was Band A <200 metres.

Hoping to get some more info from Cerberus/OR regarding this as it doesn't make much sense.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-19 19:57:41
Print Post

Hi

Regarding the PCP/FTTC cab on Hollybush Road. The closest one of those is on Dan Y Coed Road opposite Nant Fawr Road I think?

Ah yes, could well be that one that is serving your property. You can find out by going to https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and looking up your BT telephone number or using your address, it will give you the cabinet number, which will be written (usually) on the cabinet on the road.

Either way if they are needing to run fibre up to that PCP in order to then utitlise your existing copper cable run to get back to your pole, distance wise it's still a lot more than just 50 metres.

I know it often doesn't make sense but then we aren't seeing the full picture, what might seem simple for us as laypeople can be hiding complexities we just don't realise.

Let us know how you get on with your query with them.

Regards

Phil
Standard User Retron
(learned) Tue 18-Jun-19 07:42:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by PhilipD:
I know it often doesn't make sense but then we aren't seeing the full picture, what might seem simple for us as laypeople can be hiding complexities we just don't realise.

I have a suspicion that the overall prices quoted by the surveys have gone up a notch or too as well.

For example, my ag node is a minimum of 650m away from my house, and judging by the roadworks it could well be the full 1110m to the exchange.

Even before the complications (blocked ducts, of which there were a couple), the route was fiddly - the fibre came from the ag node along ducts along a main road, doubled-back through the same duct and then went up along some poles on my road, before coming over to "my" pole and to the house.

650m (as a minimum) for £3600 works out as just over £5.50 a metre. If, as I suspect, the ag node is by the exchange, that drops to £3.30 or so a metre.

The quotes from around February this year seem to have had a much higher cost-per-metre, or at least where the distances are known. I suspect that cases like mine (which would have cost a lot more than I paid) have forced them to bump the prices they charge up (especially for things like labour, which aren't quantified on the price scales on OR's site).

Just a thought, but it'd explain why some of these quotes for seemingly tiny distances end up costing so much!
Standard User brookheather
(member) Tue 18-Jun-19 10:50:36
Print Post

[re: Retron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Retron:
I'm now getting the speeds I should be, which is wonderful!

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8344462765
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15607879606...

Your single threaded download speed still seems a little on the low side - I get over 300Mbps on both single and multi threaded downloads:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15538575517...

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Jun-19 11:53:19
Print Post

[re: Retron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Retron:
I have a suspicion that the overall prices quoted by the surveys have gone up a notch or too as well.

If comparing to the old pricing, its debatable whether overall prices have gone up or down. Personally I think they're roughly the same. However the one-off install costs have definitely gone up, in order to compensate for the reduced minimum term (from 36 months to 12 months) and lower monthly costs. According to Openreach, 96% of FTTC enabled properties are within 2km of their nearest fibre aggregation node, which under the old pricing model meant that 96% of properties would have fallen into bands A-G - ie less than than £10k in one-off build costs.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/prici...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Tue 18-Jun-19 15:45:25
Print Post

Sounds like Openreach are picking an optimal solution for them and then asking the FTTPoD customer to pick up the tab over an optimal solution for the FTTPoD customer (aka the cheapest).

One feels that Openreach should be quoting for the second and if they choose to make it more expensive by doing the first then that is up to them but they get to swallow the costs. The alternative would be to give a discount on the price for all those extra addresses that will now be more easily enabled for FTTP in the future.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to