General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | [20] | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 03-Oct-19 10:48:44
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: Disca] [link to this post]

That's pretty much exactly how it goes - except the cycle can be much longer than 2 weeks, especially if roadworks noticing is required.

Mine was 3.5 months from survey order to final pricing, then another 14 months from that point to service activation. In my experience, no two tasks were ever scheduled in parallel: it was always wait for task X to complete, before scheduling task Y.
Standard User Disca
(learned) Thu 03-Oct-19 17:43:49
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

I've had the 2 months roadworks delay already! 1 month to appear on the roadworks website and 1 month to do a 30cm x 30cm little dig/patch on someones driveway up the road.

Its their way of working thats frustrating, they must be doing many,many jobs at once, all slowly instead of just finishing one job and moving onto another. For the amount of actual labour I have seen the entire thing could be done in < 2 weeks IF they wanted to.

At the end of the day, you go into this hoping for 3 months but being mindful it might take much longer so this is more of a rant then a complaint smile
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 03-Oct-19 17:54:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Disca:
I've had the 2 months roadworks delay already!

You can easily have four or five of those delays one after the other, as each problem / blockage etc is found.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User darren_mccoy
(newbie) Thu 03-Oct-19 18:31:54
Print Post

I'm in Northern Ireland and the road works website doesn't seem to cover us. The workers apparently had mobile traffic lights and have installed about eight poles in a day. I have my fingers crossed that the rest of the install goes as smoothly.
Standard User Disca
(learned) Sat 12-Oct-19 11:14:01
Print Post

[re: darren_mccoy] [link to this post]

Bit of progress on my build. BT have installed the equipment (single black box, about the same size as the existing one) on the pole. Confirmed zero more blockages, just fibre jointing being done. Actually expected more hardware to be installed on the pole other than the 2nd black box and a "fibre overhead" warning label there, was quite suprised. Engineer said he'd been told to connect 10 fibres to it (one of each of the potentially connected houses). Not sure how long the next steps will take. Does anyone know if the engineer just turns up to connect your house or do they make an appointment? If appointment do they call before hand, write a letter or go through Cerberus/your isp to arrange?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Oct-19 11:44:36
Print Post

Does anyone know if the engineer just turns up to connect your house or do they make an appointment? If appointment do they call before hand, write a letter or go through Cerberus/your isp to arrange?

Openreach (or the CP) *should* call you in advance to arrange an appointment for the internal cabling,ONT etc but I've heard of 1 or 2 cases where the Openreach bod simply turns up unannounced. I had an Openreach manager call me up a week or so prior to the final engineer visit.

TN FTTP(oD) 330/50 -- 4+2 ONT -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User dect
(committed) Sat 12-Oct-19 11:47:33
Print Post

Bit of progress on my build. BT have installed the equipment (single black box, about the same size as the existing one) on the pole. Confirmed zero more blockages, just fibre jointing being done. Actually expected more hardware to be installed on the pole other than the 2nd black box and a "fibre overhead" warning label there, was quite suprised. Engineer said he'd been told to connect 10 fibres to it (one of each of the potentially connected houses). Not sure how long the next steps will take. Does anyone know if the engineer just turns up to connect your house or do they make an appointment? If appointment do they call before hand, write a letter or go through Cerberus/your isp to arrange?
So there was no CBT just a single black box? do you have a pic you can share?
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sat 12-Oct-19 12:09:40
Print Post

Not sure how long the next steps will take. Does anyone know if the engineer just turns up to connect your house or do they make an appointment? If appointment do they call before hand, write a letter or go through Cerberus/your isp to arrange?

You should get an appointment via Cerberus.

But it may be a couple of weeks before that happens. Auditors have to come and inspect the work done; and there is configuration work to be done at the exchange.
Standard User Disca
(learned) Sat 12-Oct-19 14:25:51
Print Post

The only thing on the top of the pole thats new is *similar * to this (it might have more ports)
http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/wp-content/uploads/20...
nothing else added apart from the fibre cable tacked onto the pole.

I was expecting something else as I have seen pictures of a big round looking box as well further down the pole.

Edited by Disca (Sat 12-Oct-19 14:28:20)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Oct-19 15:45:15
Print Post

Your link is of a small CBT (connectorised block terminal) which is what is expected at the top of a pole to provide an FTTP service.

The other thing you describe is a fibre joint, not always on a pole below a CBT.

Pages in this thread: << 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | [20] | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to