General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | [26] | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Disca
(learned) Thu 21-Nov-19 11:28:17
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

Near blackpool - place called Thornton-Cleveleys. Tend to be reasonably slow up north getting any broadband technology upgrades so I figure it would be at least ~5 years (even with political intervention) before they got round to upgrading here. The majority of my road probably gets 50Mbits+ via FTTC so its not like there is a massive drive to upgrade really.

I used the business voucher as I also run my business from home, I wouldnt have done it without that voucher - bit too expensive to justify.

I think the blocked duct added only say 1 month total delay, the rest was just Openreach turning up every 3rd week, doing an hour or two and then leaving for another few weeks. Quite frustrating really.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Thu 21-Nov-19 11:48:13
Print Post

[re: Disca] [link to this post]

Hi

Ironically you are only getting ~50Mbps now with Cerberus. Your speed test shows single thread download speeds are around 50Mbps, this means for most purposes you are only getting 50Meg download speeds. Are you testing wired to a router or using Wi-Fi?

On the x 6 speed test which sort of emulates 6 people using the connection at once, you are seeing around 300Mbps, possibly no co-incidence that 50 x 6 = 300. So something somewhere is restricting speeds to just 50Mbps. This might be some configuration issue at Cerberus or something more local, or could be be congestion, however the flat line for single thread downloads seems to point to some configuration issue.

Have you got some Quality of Service settings set up on your router perhaps, still entered with your old broadband speed of 50Meg?

Regards

Phil
Standard User Disca
(learned) Thu 21-Nov-19 11:54:36
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

What matters more to me is stability of the line. I dont need honestly more than ~30Mbit/s.
Zero QOS, Steam (multithreaded im sure) downloads at ~36MB/s.

But you are right, single thread download is ~50Mbit/s currently.

Mikrotik Hex router doing simple firewall, no queues, gigabit network throughout. Not even sure if I can be bothered to diagnose it further really. I'm pretty happy with it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Thu 21-Nov-19 12:06:51
Print Post

Hi

No worries then, all good. Enjoy, fantastic news it didn't take too long a time to get it sorted it, could have been a lot worse.

Regards

Phil
Standard User Disca
(learned) Thu 21-Nov-19 12:16:48
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

I've emailed cerberus about the 50Mbit/s thing. You are right, something somewhere is limiting each download thread to 50Mbit/s. Can't see anything on my kit that would be doing it - might need more tests!

Anyway no biggy, im pleased smile
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Nov-19 12:20:52
Print Post

Do a single & multi thread test on speedtest.net, using Xilo's server if possible. If Ookla results look fine then nothing wrong with your connection smile

BT Business FTTP(oD) 330/50 -- 4+2 ONT -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 21-Nov-19 14:51:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by Disca:
Mikrotik Hex router doing simple firewall, no queues, gigabit network throughout. Not even sure if I can be bothered to diagnose it further really. I'm pretty happy with it.

I have the HeX PoE, and I'd just say: make sure you have Fastpath enabled. Without it I got ~300Mbps at 100% CPU load. On IPv4 with fastpath, I can get ~900Mbps routed between two local subnets - and when downloading at 300Mbps over FTTPoD, CPU load is only about 30%.

There's no fastpath for IPv6 unfortunately.

Welcome to the FTTPoD club!!
Standard User Disca
(learned) Thu 21-Nov-19 18:22:09
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Welcome to the FTTPoD club!!

Thankyou!

Yes I've got the fastpath-connection rules all setup on the mikrotik. its doing quite a few tasks, capsman for 3 wifi access points, 2 VPN connections and 2 internet connections as well as LTE backup. Not seen it go above 30% CPU yet with what I've done. Nice bit of kit!
Standard User Agb_ldn
(newbie) Thu 21-Nov-19 20:31:25
Print Post

Quick question to experts here... I asked Cerberus to request a desktop quote for an FTTPoD product. I was surprised by the response from them/Openreach. The quote came back at 28.5k which I think is maximum. Interestingly though openreach estimate the distance from the nearest aggregation node to be between 0-199m. To be honest, itís a rural area but I am almost certain I know where the node is - in BT pit about 100m down the road from my property. The olympics Ďforcedí/paid openreach to deploy fibre to the village. It was then used to serve 3 or 4 VDSL+ cabs along the main road.

The question is why would the build cost estimate come back so high? Under the previous distance based pricing model it would have been the cheapest?

Cheers for your thoughts...
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 21-Nov-19 21:06:09
Print Post

[re: Agb_ldn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Agb_ldn:
The question is why would the build cost estimate come back so high? Under the previous distance based pricing model it would have been the cheapest?

The location of the fibre aggregation node may not be where you think it is (although if OR say it's <200m away then you could be right). Or there could be some special construction difficulty, like crossing a main road.

But it could also be simply that the guesstimate they have given you is completely wrong. The only way to get an accurate price is to place an order and commit £250+VAT.

There's a table here of initial quotes and final quotes reported by forum users. In the most extreme case, someone was quoted £34,000 in full knowledge that the aggregation node was right outside their property (like 5m away). The price dropped to £2,216 on survey.

That is, as I say, a very extreme example. You could easily still end up with a £12,000+VAT bill to proceed. At very least you might get a chance to talk to the surveyor to find out what the problem is.

I suppose it's also possible (but I have no idea if it happens in practice) that the backbone fibre was funded with some sort of clawback arrangement - so that if it's ever used for something else then BT have to pay back some of the earlier olympic subsidy.
Pages in this thread: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | [26] | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to