General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Tue 18-Jun-19 20:10:22
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Sounds like Openreach are picking an optimal solution for them and then asking the FTTPoD customer to pick up the tab over an optimal solution for the FTTPoD customer (aka the cheapest).

Any evidence for that assertion?

The quotes which have been discussed in the forum seem to give the properties passed for FTTPoD just being those on a single pole or underground copper DP. In that case, Openreach can't be accused of piggy-backing more FTTP properties on the same order.

And as for the fibre routing: this has to follow the correct network architecture. They can't just pull random fibres here and there, otherwise they'd end up with a network which was unmanageable and unmaintainable.
Standard User Alucidnation
(member) Wed 19-Jun-19 17:21:55
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Slightly off topic but what is the wholesale cost of a lease line these days?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Jun-19 17:31:57
Print Post

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Alucidnation:
Slightly off topic but what is the wholesale cost of a lease line these days?

Wholesale? Don't think you'll find them anywhere but retail costs of leased lines vary massively depending on where you live, how many operators have fibre in your area, length of cabling req'd etc.

Have a peek at linebroker.co.uk for a general idea of costs.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deft
(experienced) Wed 19-Jun-19 19:17:13
Print Post

[re: Retron] [link to this post]

I had a good chat with the Openreach surveyor today on the phone, after missing him in person (no warning that the survey was imminent really!).
He confirmed that essentially the fibre path is underground all the way, and is proposing it follows the final underground duct to our property, though he confirmed they don't know if the final duct from the kerb to the edge of the property is trouble free, but they'll sort that out if needs be. He went through the major steps of the general architecture (exchange - agg node - splitter - CBT I think?). From this forum I at least had some familiarity with the terms!
He didn't quite confirm whether the agg node is at the exchange (300-500m) or actually maybe a bit closer by our high-street, the only other place there is a FTTC cab (which would be more like 150-200m).
Hopefully I should get the full cost estimate soon-ish.
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Jun-19 08:49:43
Print Post

[re: Deft] [link to this post]

My update this week is that they are waiting for the audit to be completed. Can't be too much longer!

Mike
Standard User Pheasant
(learned) Fri 21-Jun-19 09:54:28
Print Post

[re: abat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by abat:
My update this week is that they are waiting for the audit to be completed. Can't be too much longer!

Depends what audit reveals - we had a wait of around 7 weeks from then until final go live date. They had install a new OCR in the exchange. That took a while to get sorted.
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Fri 21-Jun-19 23:17:55
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

On the heels of the last thread about Cerberus promising Thursday updates, this week I didn't get it on that day, nor today Friday. This is the first time they have missed the update date.

I'm still waiting for the results of the full survey.

The last update I got from last Thursday just said: "awaiting ECC authorisation, the full breakdown has been provided."

So I'm not sure when the next update will arrive.

BT Infinity 2 - ECI Cabinet
Standard User E300
(newbie) Mon 24-Jun-19 12:37:06
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Just an update, things seem to be happening, just a bit over 3 weeks since confirming the order. Iíve seen two Openreach vans by the PCP cab and engineers around manholes (where the aggregation node is), which prompted me to check the dslchecker database, which now shows for my address FTTPoD Down-Up as 1000/220, it was always 330/30 before. I checked a couple of neighbours I know that are being enabled as well (same DP), this shows them also updated to 1000/220. I also checked for other properties on my street (13 houses different DPs) and even the houses the opposite end are all showing 1000/220, including one of the roads that goes off from mine that has a pre-planning notice for a new pole. Are they also getting native FTTP?

Iím not getting my hopes up this means things will progress quickly from here as any number of issues could cause things to be delayed, but nice to see something happening. Last update from Cerberus last week was "Chase sent to planning for an update on the timescales, we are expecting for this to be progressed and estimates raised."
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Jun-19 12:53:24
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E300:
Just an update, things seem to be happening, just a bit over 3 weeks since confirming the order. Iíve seen two Openreach vans by the PCP cab and engineers around manholes (where the aggregation node is), which prompted me to check the dslchecker database, which now shows for my address FTTPoD Down-Up as 1000/220, it was always 330/30 before. I checked a couple of neighbours I know that are being enabled as well (same DP), this shows them also updated to 1000/220. I also checked for other properties on my street (13 houses different DPs) and even the houses the opposite end are all showing 1000/220, including one of the roads that goes off from mine that has a pre-planning notice for a new pole. Are they also getting native FTTP?

Possibly. However don't take anything for granted until the checker shows 'WBC FTTP' instead of 'FTTP On Demand' for the neighbouring properties irrespective of the speed shown. Not sure if you're aware but BT Wholesale don't sell anything above 330/30 on FTTPoD.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User brookheather
(member) Mon 24-Jun-19 12:58:30
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E300:
Are they also getting native FTTP?

Short answer - no. Just means the database for the local properties has been updated to reflect the higher maximum FTTP speeds available at the exchange. Same thing happened during my FTTPoD install.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to