General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | [30] | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 15-Jan-20 13:40:02
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: LordVader] [link to this post]

Sorry to hear it.

The properties passed discount of £900 means the network would have made FTTP available to 18 other houses. What does the topology look like on the ground - are there 19 houses served by a single pole, or something else? Maybe you could find one or two others to share with?

I wonder if there are special difficulties in your installation, or if OR are in general trying to discourage FTTPoD because they need so many engineers for Fibre First.
Standard User E300
(learned) Wed 15-Jan-20 13:57:06
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Sorry to hear it.

The properties passed discount of £900 means the network would have made FTTP available to 18 other houses. What does the topology look like on the ground - are there 19 houses served by a single pole, or something else? Maybe you could find one or two others to share with?

I wonder if there are special difficulties in your installation, or if OR are in general trying to discourage FTTPoD because they need so many engineers for Fibre First.

I don't think it is 18, I made that mistake thinking it was a £50 discount per property passed, however I was told we get discount of £700 for our own property, then £50 for everyone else passed, so in this case £900 discount is 4 properties in total, so 3 others also get it. For my quote I had a discount of £950, and only 5 of us were enabled/passed, basically all of us connected to the same DP.
Standard User LordVader
(member) Wed 15-Jan-20 14:23:22
Print Post

3 other properties. £700 discount for FTTPoD order and x4 £50.

I briefly asked the other properties but they wasn't interested and happy with there 25mb internet &#128580;

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User darren_mccoy
(newbie) Fri 17-Jan-20 11:55:36
Print Post

[re: LordVader] [link to this post]

Openreach called today and i'm getting my fibre on demand installed in my house this Monday. Does anyone have an estimate of how long before the service goes live after the install? I feel like a kid at Christmas.
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Fri 17-Jan-20 12:12:04
Print Post

[re: darren_mccoy] [link to this post]

When my installation was completed it was ready to use immediately. I didn't have to wait. Hopefully yours will be the same, assuming you have the login details ready on the day of installation.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 17-Jan-20 17:17:08
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Mine took a couple of days after installation for PPPoE to come up, but that was because of a provisioning error relating to the sVLAN on the cross-connect.

Edited by candlerb (Fri 17-Jan-20 17:42:45)

Standard User darren_mccoy
(newbie) Wed 22-Jan-20 13:10:21
Print Post

So I was told last Friday the contractors would be coming 20/1/2020 to install the line into my house and to be ready at 8:30. My boss very kindly gave me a day off on short notice and life was good.

Monday came around and I waited and waited, 9am, 10am, nothing, at 12pm I started making phone calls. The guy who called on Friday wasn't contactable, the number he called from lead to a message that I had missed a call from BT 08003289393.

I tried to contact Cerberus, they had no info and were completely in the dark about it. Openreach was only conactable by web chat, they had no record of it and said that BT have nothing to do with them. OR also said the number was a scam, If you Google the number it looks like it might be. The Guy who called on Friday didn't ask me for any info other than if Monday suited for the visit, so I didn't believe it was a scam.

Then about 15:30 I get a call from the same number and they are outside. I go out and there's a couple of guys and a van, everything was legit afterall. They tell my my line isn't complete, there's no DP and there's nothing they can do. I checked their ID and everything seems good. So I ended up taking a day off work for no reason and can't even complain to anyone because according to them no appointment ever existed.

The van logo was KN Circet which is a dublin based contractor. I called them up and they said BT gave them my name and address and it wasn't their fault either. I also dismantled my entire entertainment system to get the fibre ONT where I wanted it. That is a once every five year type of nightmare job and I'll not be putting it back together until my fibre is installed.

I'm so dissapointed .

Here's a pic of the van

Edited by darren_mccoy (Wed 22-Jan-20 13:12:54)

Standard User Ixel
(committed) Wed 22-Jan-20 15:08:45
Print Post

That's rather unfortunate. I've found that when contractors are involved then things can sometimes go wrong. I've lost count at how many times I've had issues when Kelly Communications or MJ Quinn arrived instead of Openreach, often resulting in them calling an Openreach engineer to do the job instead. Thankfully Openreach did everything on the day of the installation, not a third party working on behalf of Openreach. Hopefully your problem will be resolved soon.

Edited by Ixel (Wed 22-Jan-20 15:10:07)

Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 22-Jan-20 15:19:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by darren_mccoy:
They tell my my line isn't complete, there's no DP
This was the most confusing/worrying bit for me, how did the contractors come to that conclusion. If its missing why did Openreach send the contractors out, do Openreach think the fibre infrastructure its complete? what happens next?

So many questions frown

Edited by dect (Wed 22-Jan-20 16:06:43)

Standard User bowdon
(committed) Thu 23-Jan-20 22:38:58
Print Post

It's been a while since I posted on this thread. But I was just thinking when re-reading it, the main reason the price is so high is because of the Labour and Stores parts which as stated previously comes to be above £8k.

As more and more FTTP installations get installed is there a chance that the Labour and Stores costs will reduce in price?

BT Infinity 2 - ECI Cabinet
Pages in this thread: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | [30] | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to