General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | [31] | 32 | 33 | 34 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 24-Jan-20 12:34:37
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Unlikely. Labour costs if anything could go up, as Openreach struggle to recruit sufficient engineers with all the demand from Fibre First and the altnets.

Incidentally, Openreach haven't updated their FTTPoD page for a while. It still says:

Projected capacity for April 2019 to March 2020:
We are reviewing our projected capacity for both single and multiple project orders for the 2019/20 financial year and starting from Q1 (April to June 2019) we currently expect to be able to support 100 industry-wide FoD orders per calendar month.
We also hope to be able to offer more capacity later in 2019/20 and will advise further when we can confirm our operational ability to manage additional demand.
Standard User derby13
(regular) Wed 29-Jan-20 13:11:50
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Might seem like an obvious question, but just to clarify. My FTTPoD install cost is several thousand at the moment. From looking at the poles there are no other FTTP installations nearby at the moment. If someone down the road has FTTP installed, can I expect a reduction in my installation cost, as they won't need to go as far as before?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jan-20 13:54:25
Print Post

[re: derby13] [link to this post]

If someone down the road has FTTP installed, can I expect a reduction in my installation cost, as they won't need to go as far as before?
It depends - but unless your house changes to FTTP itself being available due to the other install then it quite probably won't make any difference.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brookheather
(member) Wed 29-Jan-20 18:53:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by derby13:
Might seem like an obvious question, but just to clarify. My FTTPoD install cost is several thousand at the moment. From looking at the poles there are no other FTTP installations nearby at the moment. If someone down the road has FTTP installed, can I expect a reduction in my installation cost, as they won't need to go as far as before?

Your FTTPoD connection will go to the aggregation node and this is what your quote will be based on - unlikely the aggregation node will move nearer to you if someone down the road has FTTP installed.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 29-Jan-20 20:53:18
Print Post

It depends.

If they installed a splitter node near you, which happens to be in the natural location to serve your property too, then they would only have to run a cable from the CBT serving your property to that splitter node - instead of all the way back to the aggregation node. In that case, I would expect FTTPoD to be a lot cheaper.

But if your property isn't in the footprint of that splitter, then a new splitter will need to be installed and connected all the way back to the aggregation node.
Standard User derby13
(regular) Wed 29-Jan-20 21:02:07
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
If they installed a splitter node near you, which happens to be in the natural location to serve your property too, then they would only have to run a cable from the CBT serving your property to that splitter node

OK, makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Can't imagine anyone round my way will be getting FTTPoD any time soon anyway, but good to know just in case.
Standard User darren_mccoy
(newbie) Thu 30-Jan-20 14:15:50
Print Post

[re: darren_mccoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by darren_mccoy:
So I was told last Friday the contractors would be coming 20/1/2020 to install the line into my house and to be ready at 8:30. My boss very kindly gave me a day off on short notice and life was good.

Monday came around and I waited and waited, 9am, 10am, nothing, at 12pm I started making phone calls. The guy who called on Friday wasn't contactable, the number he called from lead to a message that I had missed a call from BT 08003289393.

I tried to contact Cerberus, they had no info and were completely in the dark about it. Openreach was only conactable by web chat, they had no record of it and said that BT have nothing to do with them. OR also said the number was a scam, If you Google the number it looks like it might be. The Guy who called on Friday didn't ask me for any info other than if Monday suited for the visit, so I didn't believe it was a scam.

Then about 15:30 I get a call from the same number and they are outside. I go out and there's a couple of guys and a van, everything was legit afterall. They tell my my line isn't complete, there's no DP and there's nothing they can do. I checked their ID and everything seems good. So I ended up taking a day off work for no reason and can't even complain to anyone because according to them no appointment ever existed.

The van logo was KN Circet which is a dublin based contractor. I called them up and they said BT gave them my name and address and it wasn't their fault either. I also dismantled my entire entertainment system to get the fibre ONT where I wanted it. That is a once every five year type of nightmare job and I'll not be putting it back together until my fibre is installed.

I'm so dissapointed .

Here's a pic of the van

I got another call from OR last week trying to book another appointment to install my fibre. I told the lady that the line wasn't finished (she instisted it was) but she penciled me in for tuesday the 28th. I told her the previous contractors couldn't do anything and she said they reported that I was a no show (Blood began to boil)! She promised to look into it and phone me back before the end of the day (fat chance).

On Monday the 27th I called up Cerberus and asked what was happening with the Tuesday appointment, they said it was still going ahead. I told them they were wasting their time as the line still isn't finished. They contacted OR again and confirmed the appointment was still good. Just before I left work I get a call from Cerberus, Openreach called back to cancel the appointment because the line isn't finished!!!!! AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I'm about to pull my fecking hair out, OR are the WORST! Another ten days wasted.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Thu 30-Jan-20 14:25:37
Print Post

[re: darren_mccoy] [link to this post]

I think someone at Cerberus needs to taken ownership of your order and chase up exactly what parts of the infrastructure need to be finished as there is clearly some confusion and I fear there maybe more disappointment for you ahead frown
Standard User w0067814
(newbie) Fri 31-Jan-20 21:06:08
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

There's quite a bit of experience in these FTTPoD threads. Just wondering how many of you have experience of FTTPoD in rural location rather than town or city? Rural cost vs town, time for installation?... I'm happy to spend the money on a survey but don't want to throw money away if it's going to be a non-starter from the outset. Desktop survey couldn't quote.

I live in PE28 3LE. I get 30Mb/5Mb on FTTC with about 680m to the cabinet (7) on Somersham exchange. Interested in FTTPoD for the faster upload speeds. BT DSL Checker shows FTTPoD available. Should qualify for the gigabit voucher scheme at £2,500 but the 30Mb link I have now excludes from the rural gigabit voucher.

Bit frustrating as there is a shared Virgin Media / SSE Telecom trunk cable that runs literally under my doorstep that connects the Docklands data centres with Cambridge, Sheffield, Leeds and ultimately up to Edinburgh. Terabits flow right past me, but no way to tap into it on my scale. I inquire about tapping into that cable about 8 years ago for a 10GbE wave to Docklands (not for me personally!). They were reluctant to tap into a trunk cable but ultimately said they would after a bit of negotiation.

-Tim
Standard User E300
(learned) Sat 01-Feb-20 09:17:12
Print Post

[re: w0067814] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by w0067814:
There's quite a bit of experience in these FTTPoD threads. Just wondering how many of you have experience of FTTPoD in rural location rather than town or city? Rural cost vs town, time for installation?... I'm happy to spend the money on a survey but don't want to throw money away if it's going to be a non-starter from the outset. Desktop survey couldn't quote.

I live in PE28 3LE. I get 30Mb/5Mb on FTTC with about 680m to the cabinet (7) on Somersham exchange. Interested in FTTPoD for the faster upload speeds. BT DSL Checker shows FTTPoD available. Should qualify for the gigabit voucher scheme at £2,500 but the 30Mb link I have now excludes from the rural gigabit voucher.

Bit frustrating as there is a shared Virgin Media / SSE Telecom trunk cable that runs literally under my doorstep that connects the Docklands data centres with Cambridge, Sheffield, Leeds and ultimately up to Edinburgh. Terabits flow right past me, but no way to tap into it on my scale. I inquire about tapping into that cable about 8 years ago for a 10GbE wave to Docklands (not for me personally!). They were reluctant to tap into a trunk cable but ultimately said they would after a bit of negotiation.

-Tim

People can guess at a cost but there is no way for anyone to know. If you wanted a gamble on it, then the probability is it will fall on the more expensive side, but you could still be wrong. The only way to know for sure is to pay up for the survey as you will never be fully satisfied until you know the true cost, so either way it may be worth you spending the £300 just to find out.

Also don't forget that FTTP is rolling out to more and more properties, so given it could easily take 12 to 18 months to get it installed, by then you are a year or more closer to some other upgrade or service arriving. Do you want to spend £10K or more just to get a faster connection a year or so sooner, it's another gamble.

I started your journey 12 months ago and now have FTTP, but that was before all the big noises about FTTP and the ramping up we've seen from Openreach. If it was now I was looking into it, I wouldn't bother, I'd stick with 30/5 and just wait it out.

Also FTTP on Demand can be a very slow and frustrating process, we pay thousands of pounds up front to Openreach who give in return no particular priority to the work and we have no SLA or contract that allows us to push to speed things up. You will find weeks and weeks pass where nothing happens. There was no reason in my case FTTP could not have been installed in a few weeks, most of the work was done over a few days early on. No issues with wayleaves or having to close roads or traffic management, the delays were just because weeks and months passed with nothing happening and it took 10 months. Even when it was all ready to connect, I waited 5 weeks for the appointment to come and install the ONT.
Pages in this thread: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | [31] | 32 | 33 | 34 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to