General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Thu 04-Jul-19 17:02:35
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Hi

Stores is just materials, i.e. what they use out of their stores of materials. Just a term they tend to use with civil engineering.

Regards

Phil
Standard User Deft
(experienced) Thu 04-Jul-19 21:04:55
Print Post

[re: Retron] [link to this post]

Got my survey costing through today also:
My rough timeline
Desktop quote order 12th May 2019
Desktop quote received 22nd May 2019 - not possible to give desktop quote
Field survey ordered 22nd May 2019
Confirmed build charges received 4th July 2019

Broadly it seems like this is the cost for underground all the way, in the range of about 300m, but I never got the confirmation of position of agg node or exact route.

The confirmed build charge is £8,535.00 + VAT
This includes the reduction for the survey and a deduction of £1,000.00 for premises passed. A breakdown of the charges is below:

Labour £5,135.00
Contract Labour £0.00
Civils £750.00
Stores £3,405.00
Civils Stores £0.00
Tree cutting £0.00
BT Connection Charge £495.00
Deductions -£250.00
Deductions -£1,000.00
Total £8,535.00 ex VAT

So there were 5 other properties passed - my neighbours all in one direction (I was the last house in the group).

I think £10K inc. VAT is a stretch too far for a simple residential customer. Probably unrealistic to get something super cheap but at £5-6K inc. VAT would have swung it back to do-able. Oh well.
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Fri 05-Jul-19 10:31:58
Print Post

[re: Deft] [link to this post]

I hope that when OR are rolling out their FTTP programme that they have recorded were people asked for a FTTPoD installation, then they know they have at least one person who will buy FTTP.

BT Infinity 2 - ECI Cabinet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jul-19 14:28:40
Print Post

[re: abat] [link to this post]

Update yesterday from Ceberus was waiting for a new appointment after the no show on Wednesday. Openreach turned up at the door earlier, were surprised at the reel of fibre outside as apparently that is what they came to do, said next step was an an appointment to fit the ONT, and went away again ... He also said there wasn't anyone off on Wednesday.

Mike
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Fri 05-Jul-19 14:37:13
Print Post

Update yesterday from Ceberus was waiting for a new appointment after the no show on Wednesday. Openreach turned up at the door earlier, were surprised at the reel of fibre outside as apparently that is what they came to do, said next step was an an appointment to fit the ONT, and went away again ... He also said there wasn't anyone off on Wednesday.

Hi

Seems to be quite a common theme, with Openreach and FTTP on Demand a disorganised mess that isn't taken at all very seriously, with paying customers who have paid upfront for the work left wondering what is going on. I'm guessing FTTP on Demand falls outside any OFCOM related SLA or compensation scheme for delays or missed appointments which is why this all happens.

Your report on cancelled appointments and engineers turning up unannounced to do work they then claim is already done appears fairly often in these threads.

All you can do is raise the issue with Cerberus and hope Openreach start talking to each other internally.

The only positive is that you will get connected eventually.

Regards

Phil
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Tue 09-Jul-19 15:30:49
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bowdon:
I finally got the survey back today.

Openreach provided an initial estimate of the build charges at £11,800.00 + VAT

The confirmed build charge is £8,935.00 + VAT

This includes the reduction for the survey and a deduction of £1,300.00 for premises passed. A breakdown of the charges is below:

Labour: £4,970.00
Contract Labour: £625.00
Civils: £950.00
Stores: £3,445.00
Civils Stores: £0.00
Tree cutting: £0.00

BT Connection Charge: £495.00

Deductions -£250.00
Deductions -£1,300.00

Total: £8,935.00

At £8,935.00 + VAT its just out of my financial reach. I was thinking it might have been about 50 or 60% of the original desktop price i.e. between £6000 to £7000. I would have gone for it at that price.

I'd like to thank Cerberus for giving me the opportunity to attempt to get full fibre. I just hope it doesnt take many years to reach me in the future.

Does anyone know what Stores is?

There is stores and Civils stores. Based on my order Civils stores would be things like ducting, ground boxes etc. Stores would be the fibre itself, ONT, the connector blocks, the brackets for the ground boxes.
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Jul-19 18:07:35
Print Post

Well the good news is that we now have FTTPoD delivered and working. Not a smooth journey though.

After the no-show last week Openreach called me out of the blue this morning to get access. This is a problem as I'm away and not back until tomorrow evening. Luckily the wife was at home. Then the luck ran out as almost the engineer's first action was to drill through a pipe in the wall. A long story short he finished the install after the water was turned off and the damage reported.

After some back and forwards with an Openreach manager and Cerebus a plumber turned up and fixed the leak. They have though left a big whole in the wall which Openreach have promised to make good.

The actual fibre bit was much more successful. I was able to talk the wife through setting up PPPoE on the Netgear Orbi and it is all working fine with speeds in the accepted range. Clearly I will run many more speedtests when I am home tomorrow.

Mike
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 10-Jul-19 18:50:40
Print Post

Hi @abat

I bet you are glad the journey has now ended, what a nightmare. These sort of tales are why I argue that everyone getting congratulatory over Openreach's latest "Properties passed" figures for FTTP doesn't really say much, they still have to actually connect up 20+ million properties, and when they can't deal with connections totalling around 20 a month (as there are with FTTP on Demand) without making so many silly errors from clerical to damaging peoples property, there is no hope of connecting the entire UK up to FTTP and retiring copper, certainly not in the next 50 to 60 years at least!

Why are Openreach sending engineers without an appointment being made? Just complete incompetence. I hope some compensation is forthcoming for your damage, stress and hassle.

Regards

Phil
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Jul-19 19:29:09
Print Post

Ookla Speedtest

My Broadband Speed Test

Mike
Standard User Alucidnation
(member) Thu 11-Jul-19 22:20:44
Print Post

Very nice, although why aren't you getting nearer the 330?

Draytek 2862.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to