General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Retron
(learned) Mon 17-Jun-19 13:00:52
Print Post

FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[link to this post]

As the last thread is now getting rather long, I reckon it's time for a new one. Especially as it's taken four long threads before my service has, at long last, gone live!

Previous parts are here:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4595298-ftt...
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4604719-re-...
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4612934-ftt...
https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4615393-fttp...

Now, it may have taken 15 months but the story isn't over. Originally an engineer was booked two weeks ago, but I had to cancel (but nobody told the poor engineer, who turned up at an empty house).

A different chap turns up today, takes one look at the copper wire and says he'll need to replace it with a combination fibre/copper drop cable. Only thing is, he has none with him (as he was told cabling was in place), so he has to pop off to the stores.

40 minutes later, he's back with a friend. New cabling is duly strung up, with a new ONT installed. He seems surprised when after asking where my router is ("BT should have supplied one"), I tell him I'm not with BT, I'm with Cerberus.

He asks me to check, as light levels are good (under 18, whatever that means!) and it should all work. And it does - kind of.

As you can see, it's not exactly great. In fact, it's awful!

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15607722145...

We have tested the speed of the connection and have recorded an average download speed of: 6.24 Mbps
Your average upload speed was recorded as: 5.29 Mbps.

The Ookla speed tester is better, but still nowhere near what my old FTTC connection was getting....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8343827350
Download 8.88 mbps, Upload 30.93mbps.

After I pointed this out, he checked the light levels again, said they're good and that I should pass on to Cerberus that the light levels were good. And off he went (he also tried taking the Openreach FTTC modem, but I stopped him as I'm still paying - and using! - that connection).

So, while this is coming from my new Cerberus connection, I'll be switching back to my old Merula FTTC connection for now (as that still tests at 74 down, 19 up).

Let's see what Cerberus can do...

Edited by Retron (Mon 17-Jun-19 13:08:28)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-19 13:17:25
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5

[re: Retron] [link to this post]

First of all welcome to the ever growing FTTPoD club smile

I also had similar slow-ish speeds as soon as my FTTPoD service went live, however a few hours later i was hitting > 300 Mbps after reporting this to my CP (FluidOne). It won't be an issue at Openreach's end, it willl require some tweaking at Cerberus' end.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User brookheather
(member) Mon 17-Jun-19 13:29:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by Retron:
He asks me to check, as light levels are good (under 18, whatever that means!) and it should all work.

This refers to the measurement of the loss of light levels between your ONT and the exchange - OR aim for a loss of less than 20dB apparently so your 18dB loss is fine - mine was 15dB.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh

Edited by brookheather (Mon 17-Jun-19 13:30:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Retron
(learned) Mon 17-Jun-19 13:40:11
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brookheather:
This refers to the measurement of the loss of light levels between your ONT and the exchange - OR aim for a loss of less than 20dB apparently so your 18dB loss is fine - mine was 15dB.

Ah, that makes sense (I hadn't realised light levels were also measured in dB, as copper lines are). The engineer wasn't at all talkative, so I didn't fancy asking all the questions I had!

I've reported the speed issue to Cerberus and they've passed it onto their support team. Hopefully my next post will be to say that at last everything is up and running as it should be.
Standard User Retron
(learned) Mon 17-Jun-19 13:58:23
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
First of all welcome to the ever growing FTTPoD club smile

I also had similar slow-ish speeds as soon as my FTTPoD service went live, however a few hours later i was hitting > 300 Mbps after reporting this to my CP (FluidOne). It won't be an issue at Openreach's end, it willl require some tweaking at Cerberus' end.

Thank you! smile

To their credit, Cerberus responded very quickly. There's no quick tweak this time, though, as they said the order is still flagged as open on their systems, i.e. the engineer hasn't yet marked the install as complete. Until that's done they can't fiddle with any settings.

They've asked me to check again tomorrow, so hopefully by then the order will have been flagged as completed.
Standard User Retron
(learned) Mon 17-Jun-19 15:06:17
Print Post

Cerberus got back to me and suggested I try connecting the Ethernet cable from the ONT directly to a PC, then creating a dial-up PPPoE connection. Lo and behold, I was getting over 200Mbps downloads via the various testing sites.

Plug it all back in to the Netgrear XR500 router - one I bought as reviews said it could handle fast connections - and bam, back down to 5Mbps or so.

So it's the router. The default MTU is 1492, which should be fime, and I've disabled QoS... no difference. Looks like I'll be spending the afternoon on Google, rather than enjoying a nice, high-speed connection. tongue

EDIT: On second thoughts, as the BT speed checker says I don't have FTTP, I'll wait until tomorrow.

Edited by Retron (Mon 17-Jun-19 15:17:30)

(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-19 15:18:21
Print Post

The XR500 should easily handle a 300 Mbps line -itís a R7800 but running Duma os.
Do a hard reset on it and reconfigure from scratch.

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-19 15:20:12
Print Post

Hi

The Netgear should be putting a lot more through than 5Meg. Have you tried resetting to defaults? Are you testing the speed on the Netgear via Wi-Fi or a wired connection to your PC?

If when wired up to the router you are still seeing such slow speeds, try different network cables, a fault in the cable could see the link speed at 10Meg rather than 1Gig on the network ports.

Regards

Phil
Standard User Retron
(learned) Mon 17-Jun-19 17:17:25
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

You and baby_frogmella get a gold star - bizarrely, despite only just having set up the router a hard reset has solved the problem. (I was using a known good patch lead and it was showing a 1Gbps connection in Windows, so cabling or using wifi wasn't the issue).

I'm now getting the speeds I should be, which is wonderful!

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8344462765
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15607879606...

"Faster than 99.9% of tests in South East England"

As my journey through FTTPoD has now reached a temporary conclusion (not the final destination, as I'll regrade and perhaps move to a cheaper ISP once my 12 months is up), I'd just like to say thank you to everyone on here - I've learned so much through these boards and I'm sure there's plenty more to come!

Edited by Retron (Mon 17-Jun-19 17:20:42)

Standard User donkay
(newbie) Mon 17-Jun-19 17:55:31
Print Post

Hi all,

Got my quote back from Cerberus as below.

Openreach provided an estimate of the build charges at £8,800.00 + VAT.
The confirmed build charge is £8,144.00 + VAT.

This includes the reduction for the survey and a deduction of £1,100.00 for premises passed. A breakdown of the charges is below:
Labour £4,722.00
Stores £3,527.00
Contract Labour £0.00
Civils £750.00
Civils Stores £0.00

Tree cutting £0.00

BT Connection Charge £495.00

-£250.00
Deductions -£1,100.00

£8,144.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disappointed with that price, the surveyor has told me the agg node was close, all underground ducts to the pole were clear., 40-50 premises passed (as previously explained he thinks premises passed were those easily served by FTTPoD from the agg node).

See the picture here https://ibb.co/bzGSfsj

Fibre agg node on the right, pole middle and my home on the left. 80m node to pole, 20m pole to house.

I have replied querying the quote but will not be going ahead at that price. Was hoping for something in the 2.5-3k region. I don't see how candlerb can require 34m of new duct in road verge and it be 2k cheaper than my quote.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-19 18:40:00
Print Post

[re: donkay] [link to this post]

Hi

Does sound quite expensive, but I think where the aggregation node is just isn't a good indicator of cost.

Despite what the surveyor said, I think properties passed are 8. This is your £1100 - £700 reduction given to you as the person placing the FoD order, leaving £400 / £50 reduction per properties served = 8. Count the wires on your telegraph pole, is it 8 including yours?

Also your PCP/FTTC cabinet is at the start of Hollybush Road. So I think they will lay fibre cable from the aggregation node back up to the FTTC/PCP cabinet (around 470 metres), from here they can then follow the route your existing telephone cable takes (possibly back down on the opposite side of the road) until it arrives at your telegraph pole, then its up to the top. At the PCP they will likely need to dig and add another chamber if space is currently limited.(Note that I'm not saying the FTTC/PCP cabinets are used in anyway for FTTP, just the location is a handy point to get to as that is where your telephone cables are starting their final route to your pole, plus ducting runs up to there already from the aggregation node.)

So whilst the aggregation node isn't very far from you, they will not just connect up a single fibre direct from there for your order, as that may mean digging up the road to cross over it and breaking into existing ducts. I also think aggregation nodes are important locations that aren't meant to serve customers directly, but fibre goes out from those to a primary splitter node, which they'll place up near the PCP/FTTC cabinets, which can then be used in the future for a full FTTP build out.

Regards

Phil

Edited by PhilipD (Mon 17-Jun-19 18:44:39)

Standard User candlerb
(committed) Mon 17-Jun-19 18:40:57
Print Post

Disappointing - although it seems in some cases surveyors have been talking about the location of the proposed splitter node, not the aggregation node that it connects to.

Did your written quote also give an indication of the distance to the aggregation node?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Jun-19 19:01:07
Print Post

It's most definitely not "those easily served by FTTPoD from the agg node" that counts as premises passes.
It's only those who will share a fibre DP.

I believe your deduction of £1,100 accounts for 21 properties and yourself. It's £50 per premise passed. Unless that's your total deduction, then it's less than that.
That's a lot less than the 40-50 the surveyor quoted you.

Edited by j0hn83 (Mon 17-Jun-19 19:03:20)

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-19 19:16:28
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Hi

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
It's most definitely not "those easily served by FTTPoD from the agg node" that counts as premises passes.
It's only those who will share a fibre DP.

I believe your deduction of £1,100 accounts for 21 properties and yourself. It's £50 per premise passed. Unless that's your total deduction, then it's less than that.
That's a lot less than the 40-50 the surveyor quoted you.

No, it's not 21 properties. The discount includes a £700 amount for some reason as a discount to the person placing the FOD order, then it's £50 discount per property that will be able to order FTTP (usually only those on the same distribution point, so in this case on the same pole, again includes the person ordering).

So the total number served can be worked out as:

(Discount amount - 700) / 50. So £1100 - £700 / 50 = 8.

The discounts can be seen at FTTP on demand pricing and looking at the section "FTTP On Demand build charges and exemptions"

Regards

Phil
Standard User donkay
(newbie) Mon 17-Jun-19 19:33:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by PhilipD:
Hi

Does sound quite expensive, but I think where the aggregation node is just isn't a good indicator of cost.

Despite what the surveyor said, I think properties passed are 8. This is your £1100 - £700 reduction given to you as the person placing the FoD order, leaving £400 / £50 reduction per properties served = 8. Count the wires on your telegraph pole, is it 8 including yours?

Also your PCP/FTTC cabinet is at the start of Hollybush Road. So I think they will lay fibre cable from the aggregation node back up to the FTTC/PCP cabinet (around 470 metres), from here they can then follow the route your existing telephone cable takes (possibly back down on the opposite side of the road) until it arrives at your telegraph pole, then its up to the top. At the PCP they will likely need to dig and add another chamber if space is currently limited.(Note that I'm not saying the FTTC/PCP cabinets are used in anyway for FTTP, just the location is a handy point to get to as that is where your telephone cables are starting their final route to your pole, plus ducting runs up to there already from the aggregation node.)

So whilst the aggregation node isn't very far from you, they will not just connect up a single fibre direct from there for your order, as that may mean digging up the road to cross over it and breaking into existing ducts. I also think aggregation nodes are important locations that aren't meant to serve customers directly, but fibre goes out from those to a primary splitter node, which they'll place up near the PCP/FTTC cabinets, which can then be used in the future for a full FTTP build out.

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil, thanks for the reply, I get the premises past thing now which looks correct looking at my pole.

Regarding the PCP/FTTC cab on Hollybush Road. The closest one of those is on Dan Y Coed Road opposite Nant Fawr Road I think? Surveyor said it was the agg node for sure where I've circled on the picture. Under the previous pricing scheme I was Band A <200 metres.

Hoping to get some more info from Cerberus/OR regarding this as it doesn't make much sense.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-19 19:57:41
Print Post

Hi

Regarding the PCP/FTTC cab on Hollybush Road. The closest one of those is on Dan Y Coed Road opposite Nant Fawr Road I think?

Ah yes, could well be that one that is serving your property. You can find out by going to https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and looking up your BT telephone number or using your address, it will give you the cabinet number, which will be written (usually) on the cabinet on the road.

Either way if they are needing to run fibre up to that PCP in order to then utitlise your existing copper cable run to get back to your pole, distance wise it's still a lot more than just 50 metres.

I know it often doesn't make sense but then we aren't seeing the full picture, what might seem simple for us as laypeople can be hiding complexities we just don't realise.

Let us know how you get on with your query with them.

Regards

Phil
Standard User Retron
(learned) Tue 18-Jun-19 07:42:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by PhilipD:
I know it often doesn't make sense but then we aren't seeing the full picture, what might seem simple for us as laypeople can be hiding complexities we just don't realise.

I have a suspicion that the overall prices quoted by the surveys have gone up a notch or too as well.

For example, my ag node is a minimum of 650m away from my house, and judging by the roadworks it could well be the full 1110m to the exchange.

Even before the complications (blocked ducts, of which there were a couple), the route was fiddly - the fibre came from the ag node along ducts along a main road, doubled-back through the same duct and then went up along some poles on my road, before coming over to "my" pole and to the house.

650m (as a minimum) for £3600 works out as just over £5.50 a metre. If, as I suspect, the ag node is by the exchange, that drops to £3.30 or so a metre.

The quotes from around February this year seem to have had a much higher cost-per-metre, or at least where the distances are known. I suspect that cases like mine (which would have cost a lot more than I paid) have forced them to bump the prices they charge up (especially for things like labour, which aren't quantified on the price scales on OR's site).

Just a thought, but it'd explain why some of these quotes for seemingly tiny distances end up costing so much!
(member) Tue 18-Jun-19 10:50:36
Print Post

I'm now getting the speeds I should be, which is wonderful!

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8344462765
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15607879606...

Your single threaded download speed still seems a little on the low side - I get over 300Mbps on both single and multi threaded downloads:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15538575517...

(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Jun-19 11:53:19
Print Post

I have a suspicion that the overall prices quoted by the surveys have gone up a notch or too as well.

If comparing to the old pricing, its debatable whether overall prices have gone up or down. Personally I think they're roughly the same. However the one-off install costs have definitely gone up, in order to compensate for the reduced minimum term (from 36 months to 12 months) and lower monthly costs. According to Openreach, 96% of FTTC enabled properties are within 2km of their nearest fibre aggregation node, which under the old pricing model meant that 96% of properties would have fallen into bands A-G - ie less than than £10k in one-off build costs.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/prici...

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Tue 18-Jun-19 15:45:25
Print Post

Sounds like Openreach are picking an optimal solution for them and then asking the FTTPoD customer to pick up the tab over an optimal solution for the FTTPoD customer (aka the cheapest).

One feels that Openreach should be quoting for the second and if they choose to make it more expensive by doing the first then that is up to them but they get to swallow the costs. The alternative would be to give a discount on the price for all those extra addresses that will now be more easily enabled for FTTP in the future.
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Tue 18-Jun-19 20:10:22
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Sounds like Openreach are picking an optimal solution for them and then asking the FTTPoD customer to pick up the tab over an optimal solution for the FTTPoD customer (aka the cheapest).

Any evidence for that assertion?

The quotes which have been discussed in the forum seem to give the properties passed for FTTPoD just being those on a single pole or underground copper DP. In that case, Openreach can't be accused of piggy-backing more FTTP properties on the same order.

And as for the fibre routing: this has to follow the correct network architecture. They can't just pull random fibres here and there, otherwise they'd end up with a network which was unmanageable and unmaintainable.
Standard User Alucidnation
(member) Wed 19-Jun-19 17:21:55
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Slightly off topic but what is the wholesale cost of a lease line these days?
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Jun-19 17:31:57
Print Post

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Alucidnation:
Slightly off topic but what is the wholesale cost of a lease line these days?

Wholesale? Don't think you'll find them anywhere but retail costs of leased lines vary massively depending on where you live, how many operators have fibre in your area, length of cabling req'd etc.

Have a peek at linebroker.co.uk for a general idea of costs.

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Deft
(experienced) Wed 19-Jun-19 19:17:13
Print Post

I had a good chat with the Openreach surveyor today on the phone, after missing him in person (no warning that the survey was imminent really!).
He confirmed that essentially the fibre path is underground all the way, and is proposing it follows the final underground duct to our property, though he confirmed they don't know if the final duct from the kerb to the edge of the property is trouble free, but they'll sort that out if needs be. He went through the major steps of the general architecture (exchange - agg node - splitter - CBT I think?). From this forum I at least had some familiarity with the terms!
He didn't quite confirm whether the agg node is at the exchange (300-500m) or actually maybe a bit closer by our high-street, the only other place there is a FTTC cab (which would be more like 150-200m).
Hopefully I should get the full cost estimate soon-ish.
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Jun-19 08:49:43
Print Post

[re: Deft] [link to this post]

My update this week is that they are waiting for the audit to be completed. Can't be too much longer!

Mike
Standard User Pheasant
(learned) Fri 21-Jun-19 09:54:28
Print Post

[re: abat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by abat:
My update this week is that they are waiting for the audit to be completed. Can't be too much longer!

Depends what audit reveals - we had a wait of around 7 weeks from then until final go live date. They had install a new OCR in the exchange. That took a while to get sorted.
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Fri 21-Jun-19 23:17:55
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

On the heels of the last thread about Cerberus promising Thursday updates, this week I didn't get it on that day, nor today Friday. This is the first time they have missed the update date.

I'm still waiting for the results of the full survey.

The last update I got from last Thursday just said: "awaiting ECC authorisation, the full breakdown has been provided."

So I'm not sure when the next update will arrive.

BT Infinity 2 - ECI Cabinet
Standard User E300
(newbie) Mon 24-Jun-19 12:37:06
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Just an update, things seem to be happening, just a bit over 3 weeks since confirming the order. Iíve seen two Openreach vans by the PCP cab and engineers around manholes (where the aggregation node is), which prompted me to check the dslchecker database, which now shows for my address FTTPoD Down-Up as 1000/220, it was always 330/30 before. I checked a couple of neighbours I know that are being enabled as well (same DP), this shows them also updated to 1000/220. I also checked for other properties on my street (13 houses different DPs) and even the houses the opposite end are all showing 1000/220, including one of the roads that goes off from mine that has a pre-planning notice for a new pole. Are they also getting native FTTP?

Iím not getting my hopes up this means things will progress quickly from here as any number of issues could cause things to be delayed, but nice to see something happening. Last update from Cerberus last week was "Chase sent to planning for an update on the timescales, we are expecting for this to be progressed and estimates raised."
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Jun-19 12:53:24
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E300:
Just an update, things seem to be happening, just a bit over 3 weeks since confirming the order. Iíve seen two Openreach vans by the PCP cab and engineers around manholes (where the aggregation node is), which prompted me to check the dslchecker database, which now shows for my address FTTPoD Down-Up as 1000/220, it was always 330/30 before. I checked a couple of neighbours I know that are being enabled as well (same DP), this shows them also updated to 1000/220. I also checked for other properties on my street (13 houses different DPs) and even the houses the opposite end are all showing 1000/220, including one of the roads that goes off from mine that has a pre-planning notice for a new pole. Are they also getting native FTTP?

Possibly. However don't take anything for granted until the checker shows 'WBC FTTP' instead of 'FTTP On Demand' for the neighbouring properties irrespective of the speed shown. Not sure if you're aware but BT Wholesale don't sell anything above 330/30 on FTTPoD.

Linksys EA9500v2
(member) Mon 24-Jun-19 12:58:30
Print Post

Are they also getting native FTTP?

Short answer - no. Just means the database for the local properties has been updated to reflect the higher maximum FTTP speeds available at the exchange. Same thing happened during my FTTPoD install.

Standard User wifigeek
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Jun-19 15:32:07
Print Post

Following the onsite survey, we have now received the confirmed FTTP on Demand Build Charge from Openreach.

The installation costs for this order are below and confirmed on the attached quote.

Openreach did not provide an estimate of the build charges.

The confirmed build charge is £13,829.00 + VAT

This includes the reduction for the survey and a deduction of £1,300.00 for premises passed. A breakdown of the charges is below:

Labour

£5,446.00

Contract Labour

£748.00

Civils

£3,890.00

Stores

£4,800.00

Civils Stores

£0.00

Tree cutting

£0.00

BT Connection Charge

£495.00

Deductions

-£250.00

Deductions

-£1,300.00

Total

£13,829.00

For < 800M. the estate opposite has FTTP (new-build development) so I expected it to be significantly less. Openreach engineer told me they may approach from the opposite side of the town (where the other aggr node is) and across the wasteland; putting up telegraph poles. this seems to be reflected in the addresses covered listed.

far too high when I can get 80mbit+ via the 4G mast opposite. im out.
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Mon 24-Jun-19 18:14:54
Print Post

[re: wifigeek] [link to this post]

Just to be clear: when you asked for a free desktop quote, did they say they were unable to provide one and you'd have to pay the survey fee to proceed?
Standard User wifigeek
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Jun-19 19:47:24
Print Post

thats right. desktop quote could not provide any figures.
Standard User Earlgrey
(learned) Tue 25-Jun-19 07:12:47
Print Post

[re: wifigeek] [link to this post]

Got my onsite survey quote back,

The desktop survey couldn't provide a price.

The confirmed build charge is £8,015.00 + VAT

This includes the reduction for the survey and a deduction of £1,300.00 for premises passed.

A breakdown of the charges is below:
Labour £4,735.00
Contract Labour £0.00
Civils £750.00
Stores £3,585.00
Civils Stores £0.00
Tree cutting £0.00

Deductions -£250.00
Deductions -£1,300.00

Total £8,015.00

Not great, but not horrifying either. Regardless it is double what i could justify spending for the benefit id get from FTTP

12 properties passed but at least 4 are rentals and with everyone getting 70+ on FTTC i cant see much appetite for contributing £800 sadly.

At least it suggests it wont be prohibitively expensive for openreach to deploy FTTP when fiber first starts covering smaller towns.
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Tue 25-Jun-19 07:28:38
Print Post

[re: Earlgrey] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info. It's nice to see someone in the "unable to quote" group getting a somewhat reasonable price.

In reply to a post by Earlgrey:
...it is double what i could justify spending for the benefit id get from FTTP

12 properties passed but at least 4 are rentals and with everyone getting 70+ on FTTC i cant see much appetite for contributing £800 sadly.

Or you could just find one person who wants FTTP as much as you, and is happy to pay half.
Standard User Earlgrey
(learned) Wed 26-Jun-19 06:57:15
Print Post

I hope it gives a bit of optimism to anyone that's had "unable to quote"

There's one or two people that might be interested but they seem pretty satisfied now FTTC is available,

There was a group people that began to set up a community fibre group prior to the FTTC being installed but they are a couple of streets away, and there's no guarantee any FTTPoD installation to me will make it cheaper for them to install later (it should, but the whims of cable routing could scupper it)
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Jun-19 09:02:51
Print Post

[re: Earlgrey] [link to this post]

Audit complete is my update this week. I keep saying it but it canít be long now!

Mike
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Mon 01-Jul-19 11:12:43
Print Post

Audit complete is my update this week. I keep saying it but it canít be long now!

It really isn't long now. You just need the appoint to install the ONT and you should be good to go.
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Jul-19 17:22:41
Print Post

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

Coming on Wednesday! Iím not back until Thursday so Iíll have to get the wife running Speedtests in the meantime!

Mike
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Mon 01-Jul-19 17:24:12
Print Post

Coming on Wednesday! Iím not back until Thursday so Iíll have to get the wife running Speedtests in the meantime!

Awesome. If its like my house, you will still need to plug it on Thursday when you get back.
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Jul-19 18:26:14
Print Post

Detailed instructions are being written ...

Mike
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Mon 01-Jul-19 18:50:42
Print Post

For the people who have received their full paid survey's, how long did it take to come back?

I was looking through the dates and it's approaching 6 months since I requested and paid for the full survey.

I posted a couple of weeks ago about Cerberus missing my weekly update. You'll be glad to know it resumed after 2 weeks. But it was the same update that it had been 2 weeks prior i.e. 'awaiting ECC authorisation, the full breakdown has been provided.'.

Does anyone know what waiting for ECC authorisation means?

(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Jul-19 19:20:54
Print Post

ECC refers to 'Excess Construction Charges' which Openreach may pass onto the customer - they are usually in the £1000s. Under the old FTTPoD pricing (construction band based) it was rare for Openreach to hit the customer with ECCs but I've no idea how common they are under the current pricing model. Best to wait & see.

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 01-Jul-19 19:22:29)

Standard User darren_mccoy
(newbie) Tue 02-Jul-19 09:34:26
Print Post

Six months seems very long for the survey, i think most people get them back within four to eight weeks. Have you contacted them to find out why its been so long?
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Tue 02-Jul-19 10:20:30
Print Post

[re: darren_mccoy] [link to this post]

I'll see what this Thursdays update says then I'll contact them, especially if it ends up being the same update I've had twice already.

The guy did the survey months ago as I saw him. So not sure what's taking so long.

ISP Representative GenuineCerberus
(isp) Tue 02-Jul-19 14:16:11
Print Post

Hi Bowden

Please can you PM your name and order reference so we can chase up your confirmed build charges please.

Thank you
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User candlerb
(committed) Wed 03-Jul-19 10:14:13
Print Post

Here's my installation progress update.

Survey ordered 10th March 2018; confirmed pricing and go-ahead 26th June 2018 (53 weeks ago). Between then and December various duct unblocking was done, along with digging of 34m of new duct identified in the survey, down one side of a quiet lane.

In December 2018 it was decided that a further 164m of new duct was required due to congestion, extending the first 34m - and I am pleased to say this has at last been done. It took about two days to do the trenching, laying of ducts linking existing chambers, and concreting over; and another day and a half to put the asphalt surface on top.

Next I presume it will be handed back to the cabling team to have another go.
Standard User E300
(newbie) Wed 03-Jul-19 17:46:30
Print Post

Just a quick update, had a lot of activity by Openreach along my street and down towards the FTTC cab where the aggregation node happens to be as well, several vans and several staff, and here all day. Appears they have roped the route from my DP to the aggregation node with the usual blue nylon rope (route is all underground), as that is the only thing seen going in via various manhole covers.

I suspect the next stage is waiting for another team to come along and pull in the fibre, assuming no blockages found.

Good to see some activity, just hope the next stage doesn't take weeks or months to happen.
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Jul-19 21:41:50
Print Post

Well apparently the engineer did not turn up for work today. Frustrating lack of any comms from either Openreach or Cerberus until we chased mid-afternoon. No news of a reschedule yet.

Mike
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Thu 04-Jul-19 16:53:25
Print Post

I finally got the survey back today.

Openreach provided an initial estimate of the build charges at £11,800.00 + VAT

The confirmed build charge is £8,935.00 + VAT

This includes the reduction for the survey and a deduction of £1,300.00 for premises passed. A breakdown of the charges is below:

Labour: £4,970.00
Contract Labour: £625.00
Civils: £950.00
Stores: £3,445.00
Civils Stores: £0.00
Tree cutting: £0.00

BT Connection Charge: £495.00

Deductions -£250.00
Deductions -£1,300.00

Total: £8,935.00

At £8,935.00 + VAT its just out of my financial reach. I was thinking it might have been about 50 or 60% of the original desktop price i.e. between £6000 to £7000. I would have gone for it at that price.

I'd like to thank Cerberus for giving me the opportunity to attempt to get full fibre. I just hope it doesnt take many years to reach me in the future.

Does anyone know what Stores is?

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Thu 04-Jul-19 17:02:35
Print Post

Hi

Stores is just materials, i.e. what they use out of their stores of materials. Just a term they tend to use with civil engineering.

Regards

Phil
Standard User Deft
(experienced) Thu 04-Jul-19 21:04:55
Print Post

Got my survey costing through today also:
My rough timeline
Desktop quote order 12th May 2019
Desktop quote received 22nd May 2019 - not possible to give desktop quote
Field survey ordered 22nd May 2019
Confirmed build charges received 4th July 2019

Broadly it seems like this is the cost for underground all the way, in the range of about 300m, but I never got the confirmation of position of agg node or exact route.

The confirmed build charge is £8,535.00 + VAT
This includes the reduction for the survey and a deduction of £1,000.00 for premises passed. A breakdown of the charges is below:

Labour £5,135.00
Contract Labour £0.00
Civils £750.00
Stores £3,405.00
Civils Stores £0.00
Tree cutting £0.00
Deductions -£250.00
Deductions -£1,000.00
Total £8,535.00 ex VAT

So there were 5 other properties passed - my neighbours all in one direction (I was the last house in the group).

I think £10K inc. VAT is a stretch too far for a simple residential customer. Probably unrealistic to get something super cheap but at £5-6K inc. VAT would have swung it back to do-able. Oh well.
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Fri 05-Jul-19 10:31:58
Print Post

[re: Deft] [link to this post]

I hope that when OR are rolling out their FTTP programme that they have recorded were people asked for a FTTPoD installation, then they know they have at least one person who will buy FTTP.

Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jul-19 14:28:40
Print Post

Update yesterday from Ceberus was waiting for a new appointment after the no show on Wednesday. Openreach turned up at the door earlier, were surprised at the reel of fibre outside as apparently that is what they came to do, said next step was an an appointment to fit the ONT, and went away again ... He also said there wasn't anyone off on Wednesday.

Mike
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Fri 05-Jul-19 14:37:13
Print Post

Update yesterday from Ceberus was waiting for a new appointment after the no show on Wednesday. Openreach turned up at the door earlier, were surprised at the reel of fibre outside as apparently that is what they came to do, said next step was an an appointment to fit the ONT, and went away again ... He also said there wasn't anyone off on Wednesday.

Hi

Seems to be quite a common theme, with Openreach and FTTP on Demand a disorganised mess that isn't taken at all very seriously, with paying customers who have paid upfront for the work left wondering what is going on. I'm guessing FTTP on Demand falls outside any OFCOM related SLA or compensation scheme for delays or missed appointments which is why this all happens.

Your report on cancelled appointments and engineers turning up unannounced to do work they then claim is already done appears fairly often in these threads.

All you can do is raise the issue with Cerberus and hope Openreach start talking to each other internally.

The only positive is that you will get connected eventually.

Regards

Phil
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Tue 09-Jul-19 15:30:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by bowdon:
I finally got the survey back today.

Openreach provided an initial estimate of the build charges at £11,800.00 + VAT

The confirmed build charge is £8,935.00 + VAT

BT Connection Charge: £495.00

Deductions -£250.00
Deductions -£1,300.00

Total: £8,935.00

At £8,935.00 + VAT its just out of my financial reach. I was thinking it might have been about 50 or 60% of the original desktop price i.e. between £6000 to £7000. I would have gone for it at that price.

I'd like to thank Cerberus for giving me the opportunity to attempt to get full fibre. I just hope it doesnt take many years to reach me in the future.

Does anyone know what Stores is?

There is stores and Civils stores. Based on my order Civils stores would be things like ducting, ground boxes etc. Stores would be the fibre itself, ONT, the connector blocks, the brackets for the ground boxes.
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Jul-19 18:07:35
Print Post

Well the good news is that we now have FTTPoD delivered and working. Not a smooth journey though.

After the no-show last week Openreach called me out of the blue this morning to get access. This is a problem as I'm away and not back until tomorrow evening. Luckily the wife was at home. Then the luck ran out as almost the engineer's first action was to drill through a pipe in the wall. A long story short he finished the install after the water was turned off and the damage reported.

After some back and forwards with an Openreach manager and Cerebus a plumber turned up and fixed the leak. They have though left a big whole in the wall which Openreach have promised to make good.

The actual fibre bit was much more successful. I was able to talk the wife through setting up PPPoE on the Netgear Orbi and it is all working fine with speeds in the accepted range. Clearly I will run many more speedtests when I am home tomorrow.

Mike
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 10-Jul-19 18:50:40
Print Post

Hi @abat

I bet you are glad the journey has now ended, what a nightmare. These sort of tales are why I argue that everyone getting congratulatory over Openreach's latest "Properties passed" figures for FTTP doesn't really say much, they still have to actually connect up 20+ million properties, and when they can't deal with connections totalling around 20 a month (as there are with FTTP on Demand) without making so many silly errors from clerical to damaging peoples property, there is no hope of connecting the entire UK up to FTTP and retiring copper, certainly not in the next 50 to 60 years at least!

Why are Openreach sending engineers without an appointment being made? Just complete incompetence. I hope some compensation is forthcoming for your damage, stress and hassle.

Regards

Phil
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Jul-19 19:29:09
Print Post

Ookla Speedtest

My Broadband Speed Test

Mike
(member) Thu 11-Jul-19 22:20:44
Print Post

Very nice, although why aren't you getting nearer the 330?

Draytek 2862.
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Jul-19 11:01:33
Print Post

Partly due to the conditions I was doing the test on I think. A better result, still not 330 on the TBB test although this same PC gives 350 at fast.com which I am not sure I believe. This PC is upstairs on a satellite Netgear Orbi (but they have ethernet backhaul between them).

Clearly wireless and even a low powered MacBook connected by a USB ethernet adapter don't fair as well. I've never really had a connection where the internal state of my network mattered because it was always better than the speed to the outside world.

My Broadband Speed Test

Ooka Speedtest showing 309

Mike
(member) Sun 14-Jul-19 09:54:39
Print Post

Ah ok.

It just seems weird as one would think you would get the full 330 as this is what i assumed full fibre meant.

No losses, crosstalk etc.

Draytek 2862.
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Jul-19 10:24:38
Print Post

Like with DSL, full fibre still has overheads so a 330 Mbps connection won't give you more than ~ 310 Mbps in actual throughput. On a 1 Gig FTTP line, you'll get around 900 Mbps in throughput. But of course the beauty of FTTP is that you get the speed you pay for, after overheads are taken into account (excluding contention).

Linksys EA9500v2
(newbie) Tue 16-Jul-19 17:15:29
Print Post

Is that why Cerberus only advertise 300/30?
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jul-19 17:28:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by darren_mccoy:
Is that why Cerberus only advertise 300/30?

Yep. Similar to BT Retail advertising their Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus (FTTP) service as 300/49, despite having a connection or 'sync' rate of 330/50.

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 16-Jul-19 17:30:33)

(newbie) Tue 23-Jul-19 12:15:39
Print Post

I got a call from an Openreach surveyor today, he's coming on Saturday to do my survey and wanted me to be home. Any questions i should ask him apart from where the aggregation node is?
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Jul-19 12:37:04
Print Post

Make sure you're totally happy with the proposed cable routing, both external & internal. Don't agree to anything you're not comfortable with.

You'll most likely be given the the newer single port ONT but if you plan on having multiple FTTP services in the future then try to request a 4 lan port ONT - it could save you hassle in the future.

Oh and offer plenty of tea/coffee & snacks to the Openreach employee smile

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 23-Jul-19 12:38:51)

Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 23-Jul-19 14:01:40
Print Post

You'll most likely be given the the newer single port ONT but if you plan on having multiple FTTP services in the future then try to request a 4 lan port ONT - it could save you hassle in the future.
We will soon have to stop calling it the newer single port ONT (aka the 1+1 ONT) once they start to ship the even newer single port ONT (aka 1+0 ONT). Hopefully someone will post details/pics of it once they start to get installed.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jul-19 18:09:58
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I believe it will be identical to the single port ONT that currently hides alongside the BBU in the housing....

Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 23-Jul-19 22:21:52
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I believe it will be identical to the single port ONT that currently hides alongside the BBU in the housing....
That's very interesting, many thanks Zarjaz
Standard User Disca
(learned) Wed 24-Jul-19 12:27:03
Print Post

Small update on my build (paid for on the 5/6). Cablers (openreach van with 3 employees) have made it to outside my house - one blockage only on route about 50m down the road by the sounds of it. They are sending out a crew to try and clear the blockage but the chap I spoke to suspected it will have to be dug up to repair (in the middle of someones drive apparantly - oops!) which will result in a delay. Overall quite pleased with progress to date, glad they have actually started.

Edited by Disca (Wed 24-Jul-19 12:27:45)

Standard User ninocass
(newbie) Fri 26-Jul-19 18:40:15
Print Post

[re: Disca] [link to this post]

Hi All

We are currently on FTTC with BT and are at the far end of the cable run so we get 30/4 speeds.

The BT checker has FTTP not available and there are no plans to enable it, however FTTPoD is available at 330/30.

I had an openreach engineer out to find a fault on the line a few weeks ago, he checked and the fibre node was about 300 yards away, we are on an estate so its fully ducted from the node right to my property, so I'm hoping the costs will be not too insane! (has anyone had similar quoted?)

BT fobbed me off to Openreach who directed me to a list of FTTPoD providers. I've put in a request with Cerberus Networks and Amvia, I assume this is the best way of going about this?

Thanks
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Jul-19 19:09:38
Print Post

[re: ninocass] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ninocass:
We are currently on FTTC with BT and are at the far end of the cable run so we get 30/4 speeds.
<snip>
the fibre node was about 300 yards away

If you're only getting 30/4 on FTTC, that suggests your line length is at least 1000m to the FTTC cabinet. A fibre aggregation node is usually not too far away from the FTTC cab(s) it serves, therefore expect a similar distance to your nearest agg node as a rough guide. Take what the Openreach bod told you with a huge pinch of salt (he could have been referring to a splitter node or DP) and wait for the desktop survey quote from Cerberus. But don't be surprised if it comes out at a 5 figure sum.

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 26-Jul-19 19:12:13)

Standard User ninocass
(newbie) Fri 26-Jul-19 19:25:33
Print Post

Yep your spot on we are around 1000m from the cab.

We run a business from home so Iím hoping we may qualify for the business voucher scheme that is being ran.
(member) Sun 28-Jul-19 10:03:08
Print Post

[re: ninocass] [link to this post]

If you can provide evidence, thats all you need for the voucher, but your provider has to apply for it.

I am self employed working from home, not vat registered and not a limited company and i sent copies of a supplier invoice and recent tax statement and was successful.

GBVS will then send you an email confirming you haver requested it, and for you to fill out and submit copies of your info.

They will then notify your provider directly of the result, who then should pass the info on to you.

GBVS will not notify you either way after application.

Draytek 2862.
(newbie) Sun 28-Jul-19 12:52:44
Print Post

I was talking to the Openreach surveyor on Saturday. The Aggregation node is right next to my FTTC cab which is 1.5Km from my house. 600m of the current copper line is buried in the verge beside the road, no ducting, right in the soil. He couldn't understand why but said the install will be expensive because of this. They will either install phone line poles at £600 per pole or plough a trench along the same path as the existing line. I'm still hoping it will be cheaper than my desktop survey £21800 but I'm more prepared that it will be close to this.
(member) Mon 29-Jul-19 10:41:24
Print Post

There are many miles of direct buried cables in the network.

Draytek 2862.
Standard User dect
(committed) Mon 29-Jul-19 11:22:57
Print Post

600m of the current copper line is buried in the verge
600m of directly buried cable will certainly add to the price sadly

They will either install phone line poles at £600 per pole or plough a trench along the same path as the existing line.
Someone here may know the exact distance allowed between telephone poles carrying fibre but I think I recall 70 metre so if I'm correct would mean around 9 poles which would add about 5k to your quote (based on the price per pole you stated), alternatively 600m of duct laying I would expect to be even more costly.
Standard User shaunhw
(experienced) Thu 01-Aug-19 13:26:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by bowdon:
I hope that when OR are rolling out their FTTP programme that they have recorded were people asked for a FTTPoD installation, then they know they have at least one person who will buy FTTP.

I ordered a survey after getting a £9700+vat desktop quote - detailing the need for a 1000m - 1500m connection to the nearest agnode. That was about three weeks ago. I got a reply from the company saying that there were delays in getting the survey as FTTPoD was unexpectedly in high demand.

This morning a really pleasant chap from OpenReach unexpectedly knocked at my door with a plan to connect me to an agnode just a few houses up - One which hasn't even been installed yet - and they are installing another one across the road! I hope they don't expect me to pay for all that! He did say he was surveying the whole road and had instructions to specifically visit me whilst he was about it.

The fibre line is to comes from my existing telephone pole, with quite a short looking run, from there to the new node.

So are they bringing native fibre to the village I wonder ? I can't find anything anywhere about it at all anywhere. It's in Wickersley Rotherham. He did mumble something about BDUK but on their site they mention only Sunnyside which is a village not so far away.

Ours is a long road, and we are quite a way from our FTTC cab about 800 meters, which means less than 30 mbits down and 6 mbits up. I'm synced at 29995 mbits/sec

Anyway - it cheered me up a bit. I will have to see how much they actually want. But there isn't much point in paying for FTTPoD if they are going to give us native connections. If they aren't why would they be installing new agnodes so nearby ?

For ages and ages our FTTC cab (cabinet 2) has been over subscribed. Occasionally it becomes available but never for very long. Always on a waiting list. I was lucky to get connected to it. It already has an extension cab next to it. Perhaps that's a reason why they are doing this instead of trying to upgrade the full cabinet even more.

Interesting times we live in!

Shaun.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by shaunhw (Thu 01-Aug-19 13:48:08)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Aug-19 14:13:03
Print Post

[re: shaunhw] [link to this post]

Aggregation nodes are usually located to serve something like 1,400 premises, so while smaller areas will be served if the location suggested would only cover a handful, then more likely there are talking the splitter - each aggregation node feeds a number of splitters.

If there are others beyond your 800m distance you may be seeing some BDUK roll-out, which does tend to happen with little fanfare.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Aug-19 15:34:00
Print Post

The guy is definitely confused.

Unless your street has over 1400 new properties branching off from it there's not a hope in helps chance that they are installing another 2 Aggregation Nodes across the street from each other.

As MrSaffron suggests the surveyor was almost certainly talking about Splitter Nodes.

The Aggregation Node that already serves your FTTC cabinet will almost certainly be the 1 you will be connected to.

An Aggregation Node usually serves 3 or 4 Fibre cabinets, and can cover around 1400 premises for FTTP as well as the Fibre cabinets.

The Aggregation Nodes were placed during the FTTC rollout with a future FTTP rollout in mind.

Between the single Aggregation Node (already in place) and the 1400 premises there would be many Splitter Nodes and even more Fibre Distribution Points installed, but no other Aggregation Nodes.

I can't think of any reason another 2 Agg Nodes would be needed across the road from each other.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 01-Aug-19 15:35:50)

Standard User shaunhw
(experienced) Thu 01-Aug-19 15:47:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi MrSaffron - Thanks for your reply.

Well you could be right of course, given your in depth knowledge of these things.

However his drawing definitely said "agnode" on it, marked up in red, and from there the single fibre line would go up the existing pole almost outside our house, to a passive optical splitter where 12 (in my case) of the neighbours could also be connected, sharing that single line in the ground, connected to whatever it really is. He explained that part in great detail. Everyone downloading at full 330mps that would need 4 gb/sec on its own, and I believe it's currently shared at 2.3gb/sec downwards.

Would the splitter (if this is a splitter) in the ground also result in fibre bandwidth sharing as well as (in my case) at the pole ? Or do these serve to spilt incoming fibre bundles into single fibre lines possibly to go up the telegraph pole to the passive splitter, or an underground one where actual optical bandwidth sharing then does take place ?

He didn't tell me what was happening with the rest of the road, only there was to be another agnode (his words) on the other side. Possibly these are distribution points or something.

The discussion started when I asked him where the agnode actually was, as it would possibly affect how much I had to pay. He then said "Oh, you know about agnodes then ?", and went into some detail - and that I would be connected to a new one yet to be installed. Perhaps I am being charged for that and the line(s) back to the main node over a kilometre away!

Who knows. We will have to see what the quote ends up as. If I can afford it, it doesn't matter how it all works apart from it is very interesting. But installing the splitter/dp/agnode/whatever would enable far more of us than the 12 premises our pole would serve, to be much more easily connected. We shall see. Normally FTTPoD is a single fibre straight out to the agnode, with a splitter at the user's end, where neighbours can share the very expensive connection very cheaply. Not that I would mind that of course.

But he said as far as I was concerned I would be connected to a point in the ground yet to be installed which much nearer my house than was expected and the charge should relate just to that aspect for a FTTPod order.

Sunnyside being connected to full fibre by 2020 is the area mentioned on the BDUK site, but it is on the same Wickersley exchange as we are, so they might be doing more rollout than just the Sunnyside area. It would be strange just to be doing Sunnyside, as they are really well served by FTTC and don't have any over subscribed cabinets unlike us on the south side of the exchange.

Thanks again.
Shaun.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Aug-19 17:51:30
Print Post

An aggregation node to serve just 12 premises is plain daft. Given the density of the area it is possible that one is being added but serves a lot more premises but without knowing where you are located hard to say more.

In terms of space in ground or on a pole, there is not much difference between an aggregation node and a spliter, beyond splitters comprise of one side of splice trays, while the aggregation node has trays on both sides to cope with all the fibres running off to the downstream splitters.

On the BDUK they don't use a BDUK FTTP intervention to roll-out to a much wider area, they will usually only do the sub 30 Mbps premises and tend to concentrate on the sub 15 Mbps ones first. So maybe some of cabinet 16 area will get FTTP which fits the Sunnyside area.

"Normally FTTPoD is a single fibre straight out to the agnode, with a splitter at the user's end, where neighbours can share the very expensive connection very cheaply"

Oh no its not, a running a single fibre strand cable is never done for this sort of thing, you always run something with some spares and FoD will be built so that whatever sized fibre cable would be needed if they were planning a full FTTP roll-out in the area. You pay a bigger than your share but that is part of the penalty for jumping the queue.

The splitter at the users end can a good distance from the actual user, the bit that is closest is the fibre manifold to which the individual fibre to the person who orders is connected to.

Have you actually agreed to the costs given in your survey? Since they would not go ahead with FoD unless you had agreed with initial quote and paid the full survey fee.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 01-Aug-19 19:56:39
Print Post

I'd be very wary of going ahead with FTTPoD Shaun until you know what all that work is.

If it is for native FTTP, which is what it sounds like to me, however it is being organised and financed, then once that is available it is bog standard ISP installation charges of exactly the same amount in BT's case as FTTC.

If you pay a wodge for FTTPoD then a week later everyone else can get it far cheaper, you wouldn't be very happy.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User shaunhw
(experienced) Thu 01-Aug-19 20:10:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Have you actually agreed to the costs given in your survey? Since they would not go ahead with FoD unless you had agreed with initial quote and paid the full survey fee.

No I've not paid as yet, and have no idea exactly how much it might be, because the surveyor only called this morning so I haven't got a full quote back yet. But he said he was surveying the whole area so was looking at mine at the same time.

As we are all sub 30mbits here (I get about 27-28mb/sec on this site's speed test) it might be a part of a rollout, as the further south on our road you go, the worse the speeds are.

The strange thing is that across our road from the houses with the poorest speeds (sub 25mb) there's a new (last year) cabinet (cab 58) that serves only a side road opposite it (who were all converted from exchange only lines last year) along with some of the adjacent new houses on a side road very near it, with the other new houses on that street being connected to our cabinet, (cab 2) probably being the ones which were built first. They'll have the slowest speeds of all on our cabinet I think.

Our Wickersley exchange serves about 10,000 properties - so there may well be more than one aggregation node around, but I agree that I couldn't see the need for two in the area where I live, so yes they are probably splitters as you say. Maybe the engineer used that term because I mentioned it, who knows. But he had both of them written on his plan as agnode for sure.

It's passive optical splitters on the top of the telephone poles which will serve the individual properties - with fibre cables going off from those to the two new underground devices the surveyor said they are fitting, which will serve an unknown extra number of premises - Probably from other telegraph poles as everyone round here is connected to them via copper lines. I got the impression that this is going to happen regardless of what I decide to do with FTTPoD

Thanks again for your further reply,
Shaun.

Edited by shaunhw (Thu 01-Aug-19 20:15:30)

Standard User shaunhw
(experienced) Thu 01-Aug-19 20:27:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'd be very wary of going ahead with FTTPoD Shaun until you know what all that work is.

If it is for native FTTP, which is what it sounds like to me, however it is being organised and financed, then once that is available it is bog standard ISP installation charges of exactly the same amount in BT's case as FTTC.

If you pay a wodge for FTTPoD then a week later everyone else can get it far cheaper, you wouldn't be very happy.

I've heard that they cancel FTTPoD orders if native FTTP is scheduled and I might get such a notification - I've read about others getting them. But yes, I agree entirely with your advice of caution. smile

The only caveat is that if they are going to bring native FTTP here, is my own address included in the scheme anyway ? Judging by the placement of those splitters (or whatever) on that map the surveyor showed me, it looks as if it would be, but one never knows with these things.

No doubt all will be revealed in the coming months!

Shaun.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Aug-19 21:15:43
Print Post

As we are all sub 30mbits here (I get about 27-28mb/sec on this site's speed test) it might be a part of a rollout, as the further south on our road you go, the worse the speeds are.

I'm not sure if you technically qualify as being under 30Mb or not.

You mentioned a sync speed of 29995 which could be an artificial cap on the line.
To me that sync speed suggests the DLM may have capped your line, it may be able to achieve more than it currently syncs at.

Does your modem show a max attainable rate or further stats like SNRM?
Standard User shaunhw
(experienced) Fri 02-Aug-19 09:52:00
Print Post

I'm not sure if you technically qualify as being under 30Mb or not.

You mentioned a sync speed of 29995 which could be an artificial cap on the line.
To me that sync speed suggests the DLM may have capped your line, it may be able to achieve more than it currently syncs at.

Does your modem show a max attainable rate or further stats like SNRM?

Hi - Your assumptions are quite correct!

Yes, it does show a higher attainable rate - currently about 36322 mps (but that goes up and down like a yo-yo) but I can never attain that. - Someone said interleaving affected that, and I'm on 461 down, and fastpath up.

I bought my present house in April, having moved from round the corner, so had to get a new connection. Easier said than done because most of the time you can't order anything at all apart from ADSL, but I got lucky as my ISP was prepared to deal with the waiting list for me.

When the VDSL connection went live, I got synced at about 29000 ish with all default settings, so I tweaked the Draytek's "vdsl snr" delta figure so it dropped the downstream SNR to 3db to see how well it worked. Then I managed to sync at around 34,000 and it seemed pretty stable. No resyncs or anything.

However We had some very poor led G10 lights in the upstairs hallway (now replaced) where the router is located, causing more than unacceptable error seconds, so I got capped! I might have been capped anyway - but it seemed really stable when the lights were not turned on. Unfortunately there was a period where I couldn't keep the lights off because the plumber was refitting my bathroom the day the connection went live! I could see the attainable rate drop dramatically when I switched those wretched leds on, and there was one very near where the router is placed. I took that lamp out, but I think it was probably too late by then. Of course there was also the plumber's power tools....

So now I can STILL only reach this cap, (29995) if I put the snr to less than 5 db. I currently have it at 4.8 and the line is stable and works for weeks. Reducing the snr further, makes no difference so it is clearly a cap.

Despite the connection working continuously well over a couple of weeks, with very few ES etc., the management system did not remove that cap.

BUT - If I set the snr delta to 0 so the Draytek doesn't try to "lie" to the cabinet I sync at around 29000 or less which is then under their cap limit. I guess their software must have rumbled my snr deceptions!

I am using a Draytek 2862 connected to a ECI cabinet about 800 metres away.

So no - I'm not over the 30mbits/second really.

The fact I can even get 29995 is down to my meddling with the router, because with the router modem's default settings I can't even get that!

If I was connected to an Huawei cab with G.INP, vectoring, and 3db profiles and all those tweaks I'd do much better, but right now I can only sync at the cap, if I fiddle the snr figures a bit.

So, all things set as they should be - yes I am under 30mbs!

Shaun.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 02-Aug-19 10:45:56
Print Post

If there is a risk, which I doubt but could be wrong, that you may be denied FTTP because your speed is too high, when all around you have lower speeds so get it, tweaking the system to attain the higher speed may not be the best thing to do.

Given what SIN 498 says, ĒNote : It is the DLM system that sets the line profile, and this should not be interfered with by CPs/users setting rates, SNR margins etc. at the modemĒ, Openreach may not be particularly sympathetic if this did happen.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User shaunhw
(experienced) Fri 02-Aug-19 12:47:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok - I took your advice and turned it off now. vdsl snr (delta) = 0. Some relevant stats are now:

- - - - - - - - - - - - Downstream - - - - - - Upstream
Actual Rate - - - - 29396 Kbps- - - - - - - 5829 Kbps
Attainable Rate- - 34111 Kbps - - - - - - - 5866 Kbps
Path Mode - - - - - Interleave - - - - - - - - Fast
Interleave Depth- 429 - - - - - - - - - - - - 1
SNR Margin- - - - 6 dB- - - - - - - - - - - - 6 dB
Attenuation- - - - 28 dB - - - - - - - - - - - 40 dB

As you can see, sync speed is now below the cap I seem to have and I'll leave it there at least for now.

Cheers,
Shaun.

Edited by shaunhw (Fri 02-Aug-19 13:05:06)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Aug-19 14:59:59
Print Post

if this is a BDUK roll-out then have seen overlaps for those on edges getting the option to order, and a small number where people with 40 Mbps VDSL2 can get FTTP option.

Tweaking your speeds to slip just under 30 Mbps is not going to change what happens now - also they would not plan off of the max speed but look at a combination of factors or just go off of their own paper records for line length to the DP

In short it is wait and see time.

Standard User Retron
(learned) Fri 02-Aug-19 15:26:00
Print Post

Unusually, one of the engineers who worked on my install has posted a comment about it to a public forum - a reply to a KentOnline (newspaper) article saying that areas of Thanet are going to get FTTP rolled-out.

"On that note, Leysdown and Bay View on Sheerness were cabled with fibre to the property recently. I was a bit taken back when BT Openreach gave me one of those jobs, it's literally the one place in ~Uk that doesn't need 250Mbit+ internet! Farms, small business parks and alike need it."

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/fastest-bro...

I'm equally as surprised that he didn't realise that it was an FTTPoD order, and that the od bit would mean the person ordering has a very good reason for doing so. In my case, it was the faster upload speeds that I wanted, and indeed as soon as I'm able (next year, when the 12-month contract expires) I'll regrade the 300/30 connection to at least 330/50.

Edited by Retron (Fri 02-Aug-19 15:26:21)

Standard User E300
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-19 16:05:14
Print Post

Update on progress (or lack of perhaps), my timeline so far:

Day 0: Confirmed and paid to go ahead

Day 30: Openreach team spend a day rodding and roping from my distribution point to the aggregation node

Day 55: A sub-contractor removes a blockage near the aggregation node (appeared about day 50 on roadworks.org)

Now on day 63.

The status updates Iíve been getting often make no sense or are out of date, for example the last two the status update has been Ďcabling in progressí despite no sign of anyone.

The newest status update is 'Blockages found, monitor and advise', however that blockage was found 33 days ago at day 30, and seemingly is already dealt with. I have asked Cerberus to enquire about this latest status update as it appears very out of date.

So out of 63 days, Openreach have managed one day so far, and a sub-contractor half a day.
(member) Fri 02-Aug-19 17:16:12
Print Post

So out of 63 days, Openreach have managed one day so far, and a sub-contractor half a day.

No surprise there then.

OR have to one of the most despised companies in the UK.

Draytek 2862.
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Aug-19 20:03:14
Print Post

This is a bit of a long game. I paid the big bill in November and went live middle of last month, original order was placed in September so 10 months end to end.

Mike
(member) Sat 03-Aug-19 07:59:22
Print Post

Yes, but they are also good at mis-quoting.

Draytek 2862.

Edited by Alucidnation (Sat 03-Aug-19 07:59:51)

Standard User dect
(committed) Sat 03-Aug-19 08:28:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Alucidnation:
OR have to one of the most despised companies in the UK.
I wouldn't agree that they are despised.
Standard User E300
(newbie) Tue 06-Aug-19 17:15:09
Print Post

Another update, Openreach have spent a day here and fibre cable has now been pulled through, this is despite the last status update from Cerberus saying blockages. It seems I am correct in saying these status updates are very out of date as the blockage was cleared a couple of weeks ago and found earlier than that.

There is now an 8 port connectorised box in the distribution point in the pavement opposite, and Iíve been told by the OR guys that fibre is now in all the way to the aggregation node, so no more blockages.

I assume the next step is for a fibre jointer to connect the fibre up, then to test it and then if all is okay it is then like a native FTTP install with an engineer visit to run fibre from the DP to the property and install the ONT?

Feel better knowing there is some actual fibre cable in now, even if it might not be lit at the moment, feels like we are on the home straight.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Mon 12-Aug-19 15:10:50
Print Post

I have been following these threads for a while now. I have finally decided to bite the bullet and start the FTTPoD process.

Contacted Cerberus, Amvia and Fluid. So far, I am waiting for a survey, this has been paid for.

Cerberus were unable to give an estimate on costs at a desktop level but mentioned being 800 to 999m away from the nearest NGA

Fluid came back with an eye watering desktop quote for £45,000 and have suggested a lease line may be more applicable in our case.

We qualify for the gigabit voucher aswell as another business close by. We are fairly rural on a farm but have no qualms digging up our fields and putting in ducting ourselves to get as close as possible to the connection point. Surely £45,000 is way out of proportion
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 12-Aug-19 15:34:21
Print Post

[re: steveham] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by steveham:
IContacted Cerberus, Amvia and Fluid. So far, I am waiting for a survey, this has been paid for.

Out of interest, which provider did you pay? (Technically you've already placed an order at this point, but have the option to withdraw by forfeiting your £250+VAT)

Cerberus and FluidOne ought to give you the same information at desktop level, since they're making the same request from BTW/OpenReach. Amvia are just a reseller of Cerberus.

Desktop quotes can bear little or no relation to reality, but that is certainly a hefty one.

If you're serious about digging your own ducting then take this up with the surveyor when they come, and talk to @f00ts0re who has done something similar.
Standard User steveham
(newbie) Mon 12-Aug-19 15:42:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Out of interest, which provider did you pay? (Technically you've already placed an order at this point, but have the option to withdraw by forfeiting your £250+VAT)

We paid for the survey through Amvia, they seemed to be the most engaging at the time when I was looking around, nothing against the others. This was paid a week or so ago, but the desktop quote from fluid just came out of the blue today.

I donít have an issue paying for someone to come out and survey as it will at least put my mind to rest knowing it is feasible or not.
Standard User dect
(committed) Mon 12-Aug-19 17:44:29
Print Post

[re: steveham] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by steveham:
We are fairly rural on a farm but have no qualms digging up our fields and putting in ducting ourselves to get as close as possible to the connection point.
Have you looked at how you current telephone line(s) get to you? If they come across your fields via telephone poles then Openreach will probably bring fibre the same way so your unlikely to save any money by laying ducts yourself, if your existing telephone line(s) are directly buried in the ground then it could be worth considering laying ducts yourself.
Standard User quadrophenic
(newbie) Tue 13-Aug-19 07:54:37
Print Post

Hi, new to the forum and this discussion. Very interesting to see everyone's FTTPoD journey! I recently requested a desktop quote from Cerberus and was quoted an slightly eye watering £12,400 with only 5 properties passed. I live on a fairly densely populated housing estate. There is currently FTTC but since we live at the back of the estate the distance to the cab is about 800m therefore I get around 30mbps. I have spoken to a local openreach engineer and he told me the estate is fully ducted so it should be a reasonable quote.
There has been a new part of the estate built recently and they all have native FTTP so I assume the infrastructure is there and reasonably close by.
I just can't understand how there are only 5 properties passed frown
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Aug-19 08:32:58
Print Post

[re: quadrophenic] [link to this post]

I just can't understand how there are only 5 properties passed

Because thatís how many other current copper connections come from the same copper DP node as your line.

Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 13-Aug-19 09:34:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by quadrophenic:
I just can't understand how there are only 5 properties passed

Because thatís how many other current copper connections come from the same copper DP node as your line.
Lots of people have been (and will be) confused by the term 'properties passed' but as Zarjaz says its the number of other properties from your copper DP which is 'normally' at the top of your nearest telephone pole if you're feed overhead or footway box if you're served underground.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 13-Aug-19 09:47:06
Print Post

slightly eye watering £12,400 with only 5 properties passed

There's a good chance that your final bill would be less than that, maybe even half. But you'll have to pay £250+VAT to find out.

If you run a business, you may be eligible for £2,500 DCMA gigabit voucher.

"Properties passed" means "properties where service is available to order" - not the properties which the fibre cable goes past on its way to your property. The fibre cable can't be cut to provide service to other people.

That is, they will put in a fibre Connectorised Block Terminal (CBT) to serve you, and there are five properties altogether which can be served from that point. They'll also have WBC FTTP available (at no charge) once your FTTPoD order is fulfilled.

You could try to club together with one or two of them to share the cost, but note that the actual set of properties passed won't be finalised until the survey is complete, so it may change.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 13-Aug-19 09:57:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by dect:
]Someone here may know the exact distance allowed between telephone poles carrying fibre but I think I recall 70 metre so if I'm correct would mean around 9 poles which would add about 5k to your quote (based on the price per pole you stated), alternatively 600m of duct laying I would expect to be even more costly.

Alternatively Openreach could stop navel gazing and mole plough either ducting or SWA cable in the verge for a fraction of the price of either poles or traditional trenching. I can't see that happening but someone needs to put a rocket up the backside of Openreach.
Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 13-Aug-19 14:58:30
Print Post

Alternatively Openreach could stop navel gazing and mole plough either ducting or SWA cable in the verge for a fraction of the price of either poles or traditional trenching. I can't see that happening but someone needs to put a rocket up the backside of Openreach.
Thanks for that positive reply, it was well worth the wait.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 13-Aug-19 17:12:08
Print Post

Jabuzzard

I remember 35 years ago BT mole ploughed a length of cable to serve a farmhouse in Lincolnshire, the next autumn the farmer complained his service had failed as the cable had 'broken' when the engineer got to site to joint the cable the farmer handed him a whole set of bits of cable all the width of a plough furrow in length where he had ploughed it up again after ripping the hedge alongside out. He then had the cheek to complain when they took over a week to replace the lot (500m+).
Standard User bomber456
(committed) Mon 19-Aug-19 19:46:42
Print Post

Hi, new to the forum and this discussion. Very interesting to see everyone's FTTPoD journey! I recently requested a desktop quote from Cerberus and was quoted an slightly eye watering £12,400 with only 5 properties passed. I live on a fairly densely populated housing estate. There is currently FTTC but since we live at the back of the estate the distance to the cab is about 800m therefore I get around 30mbps. I have spoken to a local openreach engineer and he told me the estate is fully ducted so it should be a reasonable quote.
There has been a new part of the estate built recently and they all have native FTTP so I assume the infrastructure is there and reasonably close by.

This sounds exactly the same as my situation.
Currently can get about 30mbps max on FTTC, near by new build estate has native FTTP.
Nearest cab is about 800m away.
Paid for them to quote, and it was £8.5k!
So Iím just waiting for them to do it as part of the fibre first scheme in Swansea, although could take a few years!

Standard User quadrophenic
(newbie) Tue 20-Aug-19 09:57:53
Print Post

slightly eye watering £12,400 with only 5 properties passed

There's a good chance that your final bill would be less than that, maybe even half. But you'll have to pay £250+VAT to find out.

If you run a business, you may be eligible for £2,500 DCMA gigabit voucher.

"Properties passed" means "properties where service is available to order" - not the properties which the fibre cable goes past on its way to your property. The fibre cable can't be cut to provide service to other people.

That is, they will put in a fibre Connectorised Block Terminal (CBT) to serve you, and there are five properties altogether which can be served from that point. They'll also have WBC FTTP available (at no charge) once your FTTPoD order is fulfilled.

You could try to club together with one or two of them to share the cost, but note that the actual set of properties passed won't be finalised until the survey is complete, so it may change.

Thank you for the replies. The properties passed thing makes a bit more sense now. As the estate is ducted it looks like we have a footway box just outside our property. Sadly I don't run a business so no voucher possibility. I have registered with the openreach community fibre partnership and trying to drum up a bit of local interest. Sadly if I am only able to target 5 properties that limits my chance of success a bit.
I know I should just wait but it feels like any improvements will be years away. I would be happy if they could provide the VDSL2 (60-80mbps) speeds but again it is a case of waiting and praying for them to do something of their own accord.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 20-Aug-19 10:26:25
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Well clearly they didn't mole plough it deep enough first time around smile One would say you need to be targeting 400mm+ across a field or along a hedgerow for this reason.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Aug-19 11:36:12
Print Post

I have registered with the openreach community fibre partnership and trying to drum up a bit of local interest. Sadly if I am only able to target 5 properties that limits my chance of success a bit.

The Community Fibre Partnership wouldn't be limited to those 5 properties.
It's simply that FTTP would have been enabled for free on 5 properties if you had taken FTTPoD.

You can target a larger area for the CFP if you wish.
Standard User E300
(newbie) Sun 25-Aug-19 18:06:40
Print Post

Further update. Had a few days of 3 or 4 Openreach vans and engineers along the road. Fibre is now connected up into DP, an engineer has been here over a couple of days (few hours each day) connected up to the DP with some kit doing some testing. Not sure if that testing has been successful or not, however the DSL availability checker still says FTTP on Demand and not FTTP WBC available, so perhaps the testing has shown a problem or that only changes once the FTTP on Demand customer is completed and live.

Openreach on one of the busy days here (4 vans) wanted to pull rope through from all the houses on the DP ready for orders, unfortunately for me there is a blockage and they couldn't rope it. Annoying as the surveyor also had problems and couldn't get through so a shame that wasn't checked sooner and fixed at the same time as the blockage at the other end. Now waiting for work to start to dig down and unblock the duct.

Status updates from Cerberus don't really reflect what is happening in the present and are typically at least 2-3 weeks behind, at least the ones I've been getting are.

So now on 85 days since confirming the go ahead, we have an 8 way connectorised block in the DP, although I'm not sure if it has passed testing. A blockage now needs to be removed my end so waiting on that, nothing on roadworks.org yet.

85 days isn't too bad to get to this point compared to some installations posted about I suppose.
Standard User slimj
(member) Tue 27-Aug-19 12:12:27
Print Post

Hi all,

Has anyone tried to get a quote when fibre has been run close by to their address?

Reason I ask is that Openreach have run fibre cabling, past our group of houses (CT12 4LL), to feed the small village that is on sub 2mb ADSL as they do not have FTTC access (no cabinet - CT3 1JB). While this is not active yet, cabling work appears near complete and Openreach were splicing cables in 2 underground chambers on Friday, I'd imagine this should be live in the coming months.

The fibre cabling runs over the same pole as our copper DP, and there is a splitter/node present on the pole (similar to this) but no connectorised block terminal at this stage. Looking at this, it does appear that it wouldn't be that difficult to run cabling from this splitter/node over 3 poles to terminate with a connectorised block terminal on our pole where 7 properties/lines are fed from.

We had an issue with our line recently and I did ask the engineer, but he didn't know, but advised us to just register interest with Openreach and they should be able to enable this in the future (a few of us have already registered).

Personally I'd prefer not to spend money where I don't need to as our speeds are acceptable at around 20-25mbit), but if it's a reasonable cost and Openreach have no short term plans to enable us then I may consider the FTTPoD option in the future.

Cheers.
Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 27-Aug-19 12:20:25
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by slimj:
Hi all,

Has anyone tried to get a quote when fibre has been run close by to their address?

Reason I ask is that Openreach have run fibre cabling, past our group of houses (CT12 4LL), to feed the small village that is on sub 2mb ADSL as they do not have FTTC access (no cabinet - CT3 1JB). While this is not active yet, cabling work appears near complete and Openreach were splicing cables in 2 underground chambers on Friday, I'd imagine this should be live in the coming months.

The fibre cabling runs over the same pole as our copper DP, and there is a splitter/node present on the pole (similar to this) but no connectorised block terminal at this stage. Looking at this, it does appear that it wouldn't be that difficult to run cabling from this splitter/node over 3 poles to terminate with a connectorised block terminal on our pole where 7 properties/lines are fed from.

We had an issue with our line recently and I did ask the engineer, but he didn't know, but advised us to just register interest with Openreach and they should be able to enable this in the future (a few of us have already registered).

Personally I'd prefer not to spend money where I don't need to as our speeds are acceptable at around 20-25mbit), but if it's a reasonable cost and Openreach have no short term plans to enable us then I may consider the FTTPoD option in the future.

Cheers.
I believe its a track joint not a splitter/node you have on your pole, Its not clear if its before or after the splitter that services the small village.
Standard User slimj
(member) Tue 27-Aug-19 13:15:53
Print Post

I believe its a track joint not a splitter/node you have on your pole, Its not clear if its before or after the splitter that services the small village.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

This is located before the village (it's a 2km road to the village, cabling all run overground, the DP is located around 200m from the start of the road). I would imagine they have located this node here to enable us at a future date as otherwise they could have just continued the cable run without a joint?

There are another 2 slightly further down the road before cables go under ground for a short distance near power lines but otherwise there's no properties between us and the village - most of the cable span there are no splitters/nodes.

This is a clearer picture (and looks identical to what's located on our pole - oval in shape). I saw an engineer splicing cables on trays on one of these in the underground chambers so would assume they are the same (there's no underground chambers along this road).

Edited by slimj (Tue 27-Aug-19 13:43:31)

Standard User busterboy
(member) Tue 27-Aug-19 13:50:20
Print Post

Hi, thanks for the reply.

This is located before the village (it's a 2km road to the village, cabling all run overground, the DP is located around 200m from the start of the road). I would imagine they have located this node here to enable us at a future date as otherwise they could have just continued the cable run without a joint?

There are another 2 slightly further down the road before cables go under ground for a short distance near power lines but otherwise there's no properties between us and the village - most of the cable span there are no splitters/nodes.

This is a clearer picture (and looks identical to what's located on our pole - oval in shape). I saw an engineer splicing cables on trays on one of these in the underground chambers so would assume they are the same (there's no underground chambers along this road).

You have most of the village connected to FTTP then.

update at 18th November 2018

Openreach has decided that it makes sense to include the remaining properties in West Littleton in the planned rollout of FTTP to a neighbouring hamlet of WestEnd, Marshfield which is scheduled to complete the necessary stages of package definition and be submitted to South Gloucestershire Council by the end of this year for decisions on funding.

BTBroadband
Standard User slimj
(member) Tue 27-Aug-19 15:34:05
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:
You have most of the village connected to FTTP then.

I'm not sure how this relates to me as this is not in my area? There is however another area off the same exchange also being prepared for FTTP.
Standard User LordVader
(member) Tue 27-Aug-19 15:38:32
Print Post

Got my quote back today from Cerberus.

Estimated Build Cost: £6,800.00 ex VAT
Openreach estimate that the distance to the fibre aggregation node serving your premises is 400 - 599m

Number of premises passed for FTTP: 4

Is it possible to find out the addresses passed to see if they would be interested in sharing cost?
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Aug-19 15:48:51
Print Post

My neighbour 2 doors away, has the 2 port fibre node/DP from my FTTPoD build located almost on his doorstep (~20m away). However he was quoted £17k from Cerberus for FTTPoD, I'm 99% sure he would have been quoted far less if he went ahead & requested a site survey but he didn't take things further. So if you're fairly sure that you have a fibre node very close by - to which a connection can be made - then you may need to get an Openreach surveyor out for a survey to get a true cost. Of course this means losing £250 if you decide not to proceed, so only you can decide if its worth the risk.

Linksys EA9500v2
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Aug-19 15:55:17
Print Post

[re: LordVader] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by LordVader:

Is it possible to find out the addresses passed to see if they would be interested in sharing cost?

"premises passed" means other properties who would be sharing the final fibre DP with you, so these 4 premises would most likely be your closest neighbours.

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User LordVader
(member) Tue 27-Aug-19 15:59:44
Print Post

I emailed Cerberus and they very quickly came back with the 4 addresses.

Still a little confused with how a linked order would work. Is it a case I pay the £250+VAT up front, wait for the proper quote then see if the other 4 addresses are willing to share cost?
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 27-Aug-19 17:05:19
Print Post

You won't know with complete certainty until after your survey comes back.

However, if there are 4 properties (including yours) served from the same pole, or the same pavement chamber, then it's a fair bet it's those.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 27-Aug-19 17:25:09
Print Post

Still a little confused with how a linked order would work. Is it a case I pay the £250+VAT up front, wait for the proper quote then see if the other 4 addresses are willing to share cost?

I believe there are two possible approaches you can take.

One is the official "linked orders" approach. I've never seen this in action, but I believe you would have to submit all the linked orders prior to paying for the survey. This is because you're not, in fact, paying for a survey - you're actually placing an order (or in this case, a collection of orders). Once you get the final price, you have the option to drop out, although the £250+VAT is lost.

I'm unclear whether *all* the linked orders would each have a separate £250+VAT charge. It seems unfair if they did, since presumably a single survey and design will take place; but they might argue that the design is more complex for multiple-property installations.

The advantage of this approach is that you're *not* limited to just the 4 properties on the same DP. You can link FTTPoD orders with any interested nearby properties, and they'll do a survey and come up with a plan to connect you all. It's also possible to combine one business gigabit voucher (£2500) with one or more residential gigabit vouchers (£500) - up to ten of them I think.

The disadvantages are (1) these are separate FTTPoD orders, so everyone pays the higher rental charge for the first 12 months (£100+VAT from Cerberus); and (2) there is a level of trust required, because if one person cancels, all the other linked orders are cancelled. In theory, one participant could use this as a threat against the others.

I'd say this is the way to go for a few premises on different DPs, unless you have enough interest for a larger-scale Community Fibre Partnership.

Your other option, if all the interested parties are on the same DP, is "informal" sharing. Basically: you place the FTTPoD order yourself, and your interested neighbour promises to pay you a certain amount towards it. When your FTTPoD order is delivered, hey presto, they find themselves able to place a regular WBC FTTP order with any service provider they like - which is definitely cheaper for them - they may even get cashback.

However there's not much incentive for the neighbour to chip in with your FTTPoD cost, if they know that you'd go ahead without them anyway. Hence it's a poker game: you need to convince them that you would not, or could not, go ahead (even forfeiting your £250+VAT) if they won't join in. And even if they promise they'll pay, they could change their mind - unless you get the money up-front, which means they have to trust you instead.

All fun smile

Edited by candlerb (Tue 27-Aug-19 17:38:53)

Standard User Disca
(learned) Thu 29-Aug-19 16:41:12
Print Post

Another update on my build (paid for on the 5/6), nothing has happened since a blockage was found about 200m down the road on July 8th. Finally as of last week a road works bulletin appeared saying "excavate onto bt ducts for the clearance of duct blockages in to facilitate spine cabling works.". Thats taking place on the 9th September so a little disapointing that everything just ground to a halt for 2 months but its not unexpected I guess. Last update from Cerberus/BT said "Civils Estimate raised to contract supplier to clear Duct blockage.
Next update in 31 working days to validate the works and set an accurate completion date. " and that was two weeks ago, so realistically Id say I wont see anything else happening for another month if that is to be believed.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 30-Aug-19 14:59:50
Print Post

It seems to have taken forever, but my FTTPoD line finally went live today, hooray!!!

From placing the survey order it has been just under 18 months (538 days to be exact); and from final costing and confirmed order, 14 months (430 days). I won't bore you with all the problems, but the final one was because the order had been open so long, the SVLAN on the cablelink had been ceased, requiring the order to be cancelled and resubmitted.

Anyway, I'm delighted that it's up and running at last. My FTTC speed has been dropping over the last few months - upload speed is now under 3Mbps, down from 5Mbps - and dslchecker has reacted simply by lowering my expected speed range.

This is what I now have:

My Broadband Speed Test

I actually get a flat 307M when using iperf3 from the command line to a server in a data centre. I suspect that my browser is the weakest link for the TBB test.

A few points that might be of interest around the installation itself.

Firstly, based on what I read here, I was expecting the fibre drop to be a hybrid, pre-connectorised cable. In fact it was neither. It was a stiff black cable which looked like coax from the outside; the cut end looked like coax too, with some sort of strengthening mesh. The installer cut it to length and attached a thin white connector pigtail. As it was fibre only, he left the existing copper in place. (This is through an underground duct, and maybe overhead installs are different).

There's no external splice box: the cables were pulled in one piece from the pavement chamber to the ONT. In the pavement chamber there's a 4-port CBT.

The ONT is a 1+1, supplied without BBU but still with the outer housing, which keeps things neat as the pigtail and PSU cables are coiled up inside. I did ask if it was possible to get a 4-port ONT, but was told they're not provided for new installs any more. Instead, the installer kindly pulled two fibre cables, so the second one is there ready to be terminated if and when required.

Finally: I must express my thanks and full marks to Cerberus for their limitless patience and persistence. Thanks too to all the OpenReach personnel I met, who were professional and courteous without exception. There may be lessons to be learned on the project management side, but I'm sure it'll make an interesting case study for someone smile
Standard User dect
(committed) Fri 30-Aug-19 17:46:07
Print Post

It was a stiff black cable which looked like coax from the outside; the cut end looked like coax too, with some sort of strengthening mesh. The installer cut it to length and attached a thin white connector pigtail.
Congratulations on your FTTPoD going live.

On the point you made about the fibre cable, are you saying it was different than this?
https://twitter.com/MrSaffron/status/934440300151525381

Edited by dect (Fri 30-Aug-19 17:48:06)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 30-Aug-19 18:23:27
Print Post

On the point you made about the fibre cable, are you saying it was different than this?
https://twitter.com/MrSaffron/status/934440300151525381

That looks the same.
(member) Sun 01-Sep-19 17:51:23
Print Post

Why two fibre cables pulled in?

Draytek 2862.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sun 01-Sep-19 18:39:04
Print Post

So that I can take a second fibre service later, onto a second ONT, without having to re-pull through the underground ducts and the attic.
(member) Sun 01-Sep-19 21:46:18
Print Post

I thought you could run four fibre services on one cable - you just get the ONT changed to a 4 port model?

Standard User dect
(committed) Sun 01-Sep-19 22:37:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by brookheather:
I thought you could run four fibre services on one cable - you just get the ONT changed to a 4 port model?
I think by getting a second connectorised cable pulled through ready candlerb has got options, either a 4 port ONT (if available) using the existing fibre or a second 1 port ONT connected to the second fibre.

The thing I'm most impressed with is the Openreach engineer was prepared to pull the second connectorised cable through.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sun 01-Sep-19 22:55:07
Print Post

The thing I'm most impressed with is the Openreach engineer was prepared to pull the second connectorised cable through.

It wasn't connectorised - just cut. If and when the second ONT goes in, it will still need pigtails splicing at each end.
(member) Mon 02-Sep-19 06:49:53
Print Post

Considering how Openreach are, I am surprised they even pulled in a second cable.

Draytek 2862.
Standard User dect
(committed) Mon 02-Sep-19 09:02:09
Print Post

It wasn't connectorised - just cut. If and when the second ONT goes in, it will still need pigtails splicing at each end.

But you said in your other post

There's no external splice box: the cables were pulled in one piece from the pavement chamber to the ONT. In the pavement chamber there's a 4-port CBT.

I believe connectorised means the fibre cable from the property has a pre-connected connector at the CBT end not the ONT end, are you saying the connector on fibre cable at the CBT end in the underground chamber was added manually as that would seem strange.

Edited by dect (Mon 02-Sep-19 09:07:37)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 02-Sep-19 09:27:30
Print Post

I believe connectorised means it has a pre-connected connector at the CBT end not the ONT end, are you saying the connector at the CBT end in the underground chamber was added manually as that would be strange.

I didn't see what went on in the chamber end. If what you describe is standard practice (i.e. the cable is pre-connectorised at one end only) then I expect you're right.

The drums of cable seemed pretty large to me.

I did see that the cable was pulled *towards* the ONT location, and it was not connectorised as it emerged at that end. So if it was pre-connectorised at the other end, the drum would have had to be completely unspooled and all the slack pulled through, before cutting. That could have happened - I only checked in occasionally to deliver cups of tea smile
Standard User dect
(committed) Mon 02-Sep-19 10:25:14
Print Post

Does anyone have a picture of a CBT mounted in an underground chamber?
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Mon 02-Sep-19 10:41:15
Print Post

Future of FTTP blog

Edited by Realalemadrid (Mon 02-Sep-19 10:46:54)

(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Sep-19 11:04:46
Print Post

Nothing unusual about having multiple fibres to a property. I had 4 fibre strands blown to my external CSP, with 3 kept as spares:

https://i.postimg.cc/KvgRdSnp/IMG-0360.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/3w3N4kzz/IMG-0361.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/GmF9mFgk/IMG-0362.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/W1LhVW8N/IMG-0363.jpg

So in a connectorised (newer) install I don't see why Openreach would refuse a second fibre cable (since each connectorised link only has 1 fibre strand) if you gave them a valid reason, eg provisioning of additional FTTP services in future.

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Sep-19 12:27:56
Print Post

Yep, thatís how it works. Often a PITA with the longer kits, making sure it doesnít kink or knot.

Standard User LordVader
(member) Thu 05-Sep-19 12:38:15
Print Post

Well a check over on the openreach fiber checker past few days it showing

"Faster and more reliable fibre is coming to your area soon" again

Not sure what to do really
Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 05-Sep-19 16:08:49
Print Post

Does anyone know what happens when the route between the CBT and the property means the connectorised fibre cable has to go overhead between poles before then going underground via ducting to the property? the reason I ask is I thought there were different connectorised fibre cables for overhead and ducting so what one would they use?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Sep-19 17:40:18
Print Post

Theyíd use an OH kit all the way. The overhead stuff has steel strengthening also.

Have done a couple of this sort of scenario. Starts o/h then duct to the premises. Or the other way round. Wall mounted CBT, through duct, up the stick, four spans then in.

Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 05-Sep-19 18:26:47
Print Post

Theyíd use an OH kit all the way. The overhead stuff has steel strengthening also.

Have done a couple of this sort of scenario. Starts o/h then duct to the premises. Or the other way round. Wall mounted CBT, through duct, up the stick, four spans then in.
Thanks for clarifying
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Tue 10-Sep-19 11:09:35
Print Post

Wow, Congratulations. An epic install.

All the internet is now yours!

As a side note, the customers have been hammering our connection over the summer. Hitting a peak in August of 2.5TB of data. We use to max out at 0.5TB prior to Fibre.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Wed 11-Sep-19 16:37:00
Print Post

I guess more pertinent than the amount of data downloaded is what is the peak bandwidth used. Hopefully your marketing now notes you have excellent WiFi smile
(member) Wed 11-Sep-19 19:35:33
Print Post

Our monthly usage (download|+upload) is between 2TB to 3TB per month - that's for a family of five people.

Standard User gillsbay
(newbie) Wed 11-Sep-19 20:48:26
Print Post

I requested a desktop quote at the end of August, received 10 days later

Estimated Build Cost: £18,200.00 ex VAT

The build charge includes the estimate for the work and materials required to deliver the service. It also includes the connection charge.

Number of premises passed for FTTP: 8

Openreach estimate that the distance to the fibre aggregation node serving your premises is 0 - 199m.

I feel the estimate is very high for that distance, OR should know that the duct is clear as they have recently pulled fibre through it to a cabinet (which I am not connected to).
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 12-Sep-19 05:46:58
Print Post

[re: gillsbay] [link to this post]

They may just be trying to dissuade tyre-kickers. Also, in general I think they do minimal work for the free desktop quote, and won't have checked records from when cables were last pulled.

If you can afford to take the gamble with £250+VAT, a survey by a real human may come up with a much more reasonable answer. Or not - it's a chance you have to take.
Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 12-Sep-19 08:28:23
Print Post

in general I think they do minimal work for the free desktop quote
My understanding is the desktop quote is computer generated via price estimation software but that relies on what level of detail they have for the specific property (e.g. more than the copper pair routing info).
Standard User bedrock
(member) Thu 12-Sep-19 08:44:17
Print Post

My desktop quote (18 months ago) came back in the 39k club. 6 months after that OR installed native WBC FTTP. I guess If I had of paid £250+VAT someone would of figured it out.

BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 12-Sep-19 11:32:51
Print Post

[re: bedrock] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bedrock:
My desktop quote (18 months ago) came back in the 39k club. 6 months after that OR installed native WBC FTTP. I guess If I had of paid £250+VAT someone would of figured it out.
There was one forum member on 'candlerb' spreadsheet who found out they were scheduled for native FTTP when they requested a FTTPoD survey and Openreach refused to progress it because of the native FTTP already being planned.
(newbie) Fri 13-Sep-19 13:31:06
Print Post

I finally got my quote through today. The desktop quote was £21800 + VAT my final quote is £10191 + VAT. Im over the moon can't wait to get it installed now.

Edited by darren_mccoy (Fri 13-Sep-19 13:31:50)

Standard User dect
(committed) Fri 13-Sep-19 15:08:03
Print Post

I finally got my quote through today. The desktop quote was £21800 + VAT my final quote is £10191 + VAT. Im over the moon can't wait to get it installed now.
Good luck, keep us posted with progress.
Standard User syserr0r
(newbie) Tue 17-Sep-19 11:50:33
Print Post

Looking to join the FTTPoD club in an underground-fed new-build property.

Desktop quote came back at £7,800 exVAT (up from £6,600 in Dec 2018); 11 properties passed, estimated at 400-599m to aggregation node.

Surveyor contacted today and was shocked at the desktop quote given no building works were required, just cable pulling.

Will see him tomorrow to photograph termination point as I wasn't about.
Fingers crossed the quote is reasonable and installation doesn't take too long.
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Sep-19 12:03:26
Print Post

[re: syserr0r] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by syserr0r:
Surveyor contacted today and was shocked at the desktop quote given no building works were required, just cable pulling.

Even for a relatively new property, FTTPoD is helluva lot more than "just cable pulling" hence why it costs £1000s. See my install feedback for the various stages involved - I also live in a fairly new home:

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4552969-my...

Fluidata FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Openreach 4+2 ONT Huawei HG8240
Netgear RAX200 AX11000

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 17-Sep-19 12:04:29)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Sep-19 12:40:31
Print Post

In my opinion many of the surveyors don't have a Scooby doo what's involved in the pricing.
Many surveyors have incorrectly advised about the location of Agg Nodes, suggested entire streets would be enabled with orders and made hints that quotes would be small when they turned out to be rather large.

There was even a surveyors recently telling a customer that 2 Agg Nodes would be installed as part of their FTTPoD build.
1 next door and 1 across the street.
This is nonsense. You can't even order FTTPoD without already being "served by" an Agg Node.
It's extremely rare that 1 would need installed for an FTTPoD build, definitely not 2.

Speaking to 1 of surveyors recently it sounds like they only survey the area and mark what's where and it's not them that do the actual costing.
From the many comments on these threads some don't even appear to know the architecture of OpenReachs FTTP build.

Many of the recent quotes we have seen have had a few thousand £ on Labour and a few thousand £ on Stores, even for short distances.
It's the troublesome, longer distance jobs that also have Civils/Civil Stores.

Don't get your hopes up that from the surveyors comments your final quote will come in considerably lower than the desktop quote.

Your build will need Splitter Nodes, Distribution Points, fibre joints made.
It's pretty naive to suggest it's just pulling a few cables imo.

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 17-Sep-19 12:42:34)

Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 17-Sep-19 13:27:15
Print Post

It is, but getting the cable from A to B is always the vast bulk of any work for a cabling job. Consequently if there are unblocked ducts between A and B (likely in a relatively new build) which would make the job way way easier then the costs should be quite low as there will be no civils (aka diggin up a road) involved.

Note this would feed into the hints that there might be a whole bunch of old-new estates going to be fibre enabled in the near future. That is if you want to get to fibre enable as many properties as possible as quickly and as cheaply as possible do those that are easy first. Recently built estates that are fully ducted but not fibre enabled are a good target, especially if they didn't get a fibre twin or have poor speeds as takeup will likely be high too.
Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 17-Sep-19 17:21:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by syserr0r:
Looking to join the FTTPoD club in an underground-fed new-build property.

Desktop quote came back at £7,800 exVAT (up from £6,600 in Dec 2018); 11 properties passed, estimated at 400-599m to aggregation node.

Will see him tomorrow to photograph termination point as I wasn't about.
Fingers crossed the quote is reasonable and installation doesn't take too long.
The price will be what it will be, others have made good points why the final price may still be high. You have to decide if the benefit of FTTP for you is worth the expense.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 17-Sep-19 19:31:09
Print Post

Zarjaz

If my DP has more than 34 Premises served , counting Drop wires but eyes get confused as so many!, would they all count as premises passed.?

Think it is actually more like 40 as two cables are much thicker and split into 4s on the side of two sets of Flats (4 in each block).

Thanks
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Sep-19 20:50:47
Print Post

It is, but getting the cable from A to B is always the vast bulk of any work for a cabling job. Consequently if there are unblocked ducts between A and B (likely in a relatively new build) which would make the job way way easier then the costs should be quite low as there will be no civils (aka diggin up a road) involved.

Bulk of the work maybe.
Bulk of the cost not so in recent quotes.

This quote for example
The confirmed build charge is £13,829.00 + VAT

Labour
£5,446.00
Contract Labour
£748.00
Civils
£3,890.00
Stores
£4,800.00
Civils Stores
£0.00
Tree cutting
£0.00
BT Connection Charge
£495.00
Deductions
-£250.00
Deductions
-£1,300.00
Total
£13,829.00

For < 800M. the estate opposite has FTTP (new-build development) so I expected it to be significantly less

Labour and stores over £8k alone.

The next quote in the thread was the same

A breakdown of the charges is below:
Labour £4,735.00
Contract Labour £0.00
Civils £750.00
Stores £3,585.00
Civils Stores £0.00
Tree cutting £0.00

£8k on Labour and stores.

The very next quote again

Over 8k on Labour and stores again.

You get the picture.
The very next quote is the same again, over 8k on Labour/Stores.

Seems to be a recent pattern. If the user above goes ahead with a survey I'll throw my guess that it will be £8k in Labour/Stores. Not just a bit of cabling if you ask me.

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 17-Sep-19 20:51:20)

Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Wed 18-Sep-19 00:46:27
Print Post

Steveham,

missed your post as had a lot on. We did a bunch of digging but through prime lawn so used a turf cutter to strip off clean turf before trenching and then put ducting in, backfill and relay turf. Worked really well and lawn back to perfect.

The only thing I would say is we were given 80 lengths of 3m duct which was a PITA, would have preferred a roll of continuous duct but OR never offered it. If you can handle it then ask surveyor for a roll rather than sections. I can see 3m sections being their default for 'domestic' but the longer the ducting the more bits.. Telehandler, pallet forks, and a scaffold pole normally do us for putting in electric cables off drums. But the roll for ducting is roughly 2m diameter from the roll I saw for the road.

Good luck.
Dave
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Wed 18-Sep-19 00:48:50
Print Post

Blimey 2.5-3TB for 5? Mind the kids are only just getting old enough to be getting into Netflix and don't do gaming.

Will tell the customers to buck their ideas up. smile
Dave
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Wed 18-Sep-19 00:55:07
Print Post

Jazz,

Yes, front page news on the website! Bandwidth usage gets nothing near our theoretical 330Mbps. I have capped individuals at 50Mbps each, but with up to 40 people on site they would max out at 8Mbps each. But someone better qualified on here pointed out that once you get over a certain threshold the network goes 'quiet'. Previously any large requests would take bandwidth for 5-minutes, a second user downloading would mean the initial request became 10-minutes, and suddenly you have network congestion slowing everything down.
But with enough bandwidth then request 1 is served in 10secs before the 2nd request comes along. So whenever you look the network is quiet. It's great.

I now ask guests to stream stuff.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Sep-19 06:13:41
Print Post

Good question.

My guess would be no ... theyíd fit a 12 port CBT,(sounds crowded on top of your pole) so only 11 would be passed .....

Happy to discover otherwise though.

Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 18-Sep-19 09:44:35
Print Post

Hi Dave,

Hope all is good,

I remember the posts back in February about your self dig and the pics of the ducting on a drum, I would be surprised if Openreach would be prepared to supply those very large drums to end users.

The ducting outside dimensions are also different than the 3 metre lengths as the walls are a lot thicker, for example the 3m lengths you got (BT Ducting 56) were 54mm outside and the ducting on a roll had 63mm outside although the inside dimensions are both 50mm so neither of these should be confused with the 96mm ducting (BT Duct 54D)

Here are the posts including your pics which may help others

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4613926-re...

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4613934-re...
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Wed 18-Sep-19 11:06:40
Print Post

Dect,

Yes all good.

I don't suppose they will but worth asking. It's just the silly short segments weren't too bad for the distance we were doing but a roll would have been easier (for us). The sections aren't water tight, make rodding more difficult and will be more susceptible to roots growing through joints than a roll.

And if pulling across fields as mentioned then distances can really mount up. Our water meter is over 600m from the house with a 500m straight stretch across a field. That would be 150 sections! Now a few rural properties round here could have 2km of fields down to the main road, imagine pushing over 650 sections together my hand. Although at that point they will want ground boxes installed. But would be far cheaper to self install ducting on own land than have OpenReach install it along a rural road.

The pics bring back happy memories of slow broadband, and fiddling with plastic pipes in a wet cold trench, but definitely all worth it.

Dave

Edited by F00tS0re (Wed 18-Sep-19 12:06:52)

Standard User shaunhw
(experienced) Wed 18-Sep-19 17:13:55
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD quotes, prices and general chat thread Part 5 *DE

Post deleted by shaunhw due to having quoted wrong person

Edited by shaunhw (Wed 18-Sep-19 17:26:15)

Standard User shaunhw
(experienced) Wed 18-Sep-19 17:24:25
Print Post

There was even a surveyors recently telling a customer that 2 Agg Nodes would be installed as part of their FTTPoD build.
1 next door and 1 across the street.
This is nonsense. You can't even order FTTPoD without already being "served by" an Agg Node.

I think that was me, as I'd posted that in this thread. I did get a quote after that survey and I've gone for it, but it's more expensive than I had hoped. It was actually £9,700+vat on the desktop and the cost quoted from the survey was actually £10,371.27+vat - which is quite a lot of money.
But I bought a brand new car, nearly three years ago which has done just 10,000 miles, so why isn't that a waste of money but this is?

I use the internet for work (at home), and often for play, much much more than I use my car, so I thought I would go for it, and now I'm just waiting for something or other to happen. Apparently I should know more in 2 to 3 weeks according to the supplier.

As for the cost - At that amount it seems that it does go back to the REAL agnode which is over 1km away from me according to the desktop survey.

So I don't know what the OpenReach surveyer was on about. But he was doing the whole street not just mine, so I got a survey very quickly. One interesting thing I noticed is that the houses (including mine) located near the so called "agnodes" the surveyor was on about, can now order 1000mbs/sec FTTPoD, wheras the houses much nearer the actual agnode, further up the road can still only order 330mbits/sec FTTPoD this being according to the bt wholesale checker, which of course maybe not fully correct.

Edited by shaunhw (Wed 18-Sep-19 17:29:33)

Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 19-Sep-19 08:48:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by shaunhw:
But I bought a brand new car, nearly three years ago which has done just 10,000 miles, so why isn't that a waste of money but this is?
Hi shaunhw

I read j0hn83 post differently than you, I don't believe he was saying that it would be a waste of money,

It was more around some of the strange comments made by the surveyors and the fact that the final prices sometimes includes large costs for more that just the actual fibre cable.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Thu 19-Sep-19 10:34:00
Print Post

Bulk of the work maybe.
Bulk of the cost not so in recent quotes.

Yeah, I compared those labour numbers with the full costings for posts at work (University in the central belt Scotland) which has easily accessible figures for how much a post actually costs the University rather than the employee's pay. It's essential information when academics apply for grants. So this has all the overheads taken care of and I can easily compare it back to the what the pay is. I firmly believe that these should be comparable to Openreach's costings, and if they are not then Openreach need to sort themselves out.

There are three conclusion that can be drawn in my view. First option is that Openreach workers are a lazy bunch of sods and take stupidly long times to do things. I don't believe that. Second that the Openreach workers are extraordinarily well paid (we are talking something close to double median income), again I don't believe that's the case either. Thirdly that Openreach are well overcharging for the work.

My guess is the third option, in that Openreach are making a profit on installing FTTPoD, rather than doing it at cost and making the profit on the service subsequently, which is IMHO what should be happening, especially as they are getting some of their FTTP build out paid for by someone else.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 19-Sep-19 11:56:32
Print Post

One interesting thing I noticed is that the houses (including mine) located near the so called "agnodes" the surveyor was on about, can now order 1000mbs/sec FTTPoD, wheras the houses much nearer the actual agnode, further up the road can still only order 330mbits/sec FTTPoD this being according to the bt wholesale checker, which of course maybe not fully correct.

FTTPoD is now up to 1000/220 everywhere, except areas with ECI kit. However it doesn't get updated in the availability database until they have some other reason to touch the record.
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Sep-19 12:19:06
Print Post

FTTPoD is now up to 1000/220 everywhere, except areas with ECI kit. However it doesn't get updated in the availability database until they have some other reason to touch the record.

BT Wholesale don't sell anything above 330/30 on FTTPoD, irrespective of what the DSL checker shows. Only CPs such as Spectrum - who can bypass BT Wholesale in certain areas - can offer 1000/220 on FTTPoD but this will be in very few areas. The likes of Cerberus & FluidOne certainly won't sell you anythging above 330/30 on FTTPoD at present.

Netgear RAX200 AX11000
Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 19-Sep-19 12:25:33
Print Post

Openreach workers are a lazy bunch of sods and take stupidly long times to do things.
My experience is some are and some are not but on average no different than most other large organisations.
Openreach workers are extraordinarily well paid
Again I believe they are paid average wages for the work they do although compared to companies like Kelly's they are better paid.
Openreach are well overcharging for the work.
Wouldn't say overcharging but having read the cost some on here are being charged I don't believe there is a link between the work and what you get charged, people going for FTTPoD are also paying a premium for being early adopters in their area and the product is also really targeted at businesses.
Standard User Alvintc
(newbie) Thu 19-Sep-19 12:45:25
Print Post

Well an update from me - still wish I hadn't bothered. Almost a year since the desktop survey and 9 months after going ahead, no FTTPoD.

On the plus side, since my moaning below - I suddenly get my weekly updates when I should. Could be a massive coincidence but looking at the history, they restart and have been on time since the 14th of June...

In reply to a post by Alvintc:
For me it's the continual slippages (beyond Cerberus' control) but the complete disregard for their own policies.

On every email they put when to expect the next update - and then miss their own imposed deadline every single time.

When challenged they state that BT provides updates late in the day so I might not get my update until another time.

My response of why don't you move your update schedule is simply ignored.

In all honesty the moment I paid the invoice & sales were no longer involved is when everything just went to the "can't be bothered" pile.

I know it'll eventually get installed & @ that point I'm just ticking the time down until contract is up!

Well, that prompted more responses than I expected.

OK, my issue is not with BT/ Timescales - I understand that.

My issue is that throughout the ordering process Cerberus were excellent. Incredibly responsive and diligent in their answers (it was actually them that pointed me over here). It was very much a case that I'd ask a question, get not only that answer but also the answer to my likely follow-up question.

I found this incredibly reassuring as it meant they'd done this before.

Then I paid the full invoice and get handed off to the admin team, this is where my issues are.

Every email has a tagline telling me when my next update is, they miss this pretty much every single week.

When challenged they state it's because they receive the BT updates late in the day, I understand that, so why not move your update to the subsequent day = no response.

Key events are not updated (in my case the survey & blockage clearance) I tend to have more knowledge of or they don't make any contact.

I have several boxes that will be relocated once the service goes live, this takes planning to ensure there's no interruption and I have to give notice to the current DC so need some certainty.

If I operated my business in the same way I'd have a lot less customers, the main reason for the frustration is that it's a pretty easy fix:

Do what you say you will, when you say you will. Follow up at key points.

Project management 101....

Wow. This really has gone off topic.

I'm pretty certain I've mentioned it multiple times... My issue is not with the timescales or delays.

I understand all of these (note, that's understanding not agreement!). My issue (and my thoughts on beginning to wish I'd never started this) is purely aimed at how Cerberus are not able to:
1. Keep to their update schedule
2. Make contact on key events

To reiterate - the timescales they've imposed are their own, they're update process is their own.
Them missing it is purely as they're not doing their job.

Case in point, my duct clearance has moved 3 times so far. Not once has Cerberus contacted me to confirm it has/ has not happened on the scheduled dates.

I know it hasn't happened when there's no closures near me. I also know it's not happened this week as the roadworks site list it was moved to 10/12. So what'll happen next is:
1. There will be no update from Cerberus (I'm meant to have my weekly update & also an event should have occurred)
2. I'll make contact tomorrow asking where the update is
3. They'll respond with BT have informed us the works were not completed, they're now scheduled to XX (my above dates I already know), they'll say your next update will be on Thursday next week

Then we'll repeat.

MY argument is "how difficult is it to set yourself a reminder to update cases & contact the customer"?

If you can't do it in a week, move it to 2 weeks - I don't care, it's not about the timescales it's about doing what you say you will!
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Thu 19-Sep-19 14:16:55
Print Post

[re: Alvintc] [link to this post]

Well an update from me - still wish I hadn't bothered. Almost a year since the desktop survey and 9 months after going ahead, no FTTPoD.

On the plus side, since my moaning below - I suddenly get my weekly updates when I should. Could be a massive coincidence but looking at the history, they restart and have been on time since the 14th of June...

So the Cerberus admin makes sure they send you the latest update from Openreach on a Thursday, even if they don't get the update until Friday morning. The update is now received on time, but potentially a week old. That must really be a weight off your mind knowing you will get 'an' update on the Thursday.

An update passed from Engineer, into Openreach's systems, through their Project Management Team and onto Cerberus is always going to be behind the status you can get from looking out the window or even talking to the engineer in the hole.

You seem to be having a go at party that cannot control the delivery of the update, only Openreach can do that. And you can't have a go at Openreach, and Cerberus can't change the service provider that you chose (albeit with no choice). Confuscious would probably have something to say here.

Your timelines look about right for an FTTPoD install. 11-months is not that uncommon. Maybe your expectations weren't that realistic at the outset. It is not far off an experimental product that isn't advertised, and you have to sign a 'beta' disclosure just to take part. But one that provides a game changer in terms of broadband. Oh and costs a fortune.
Standard User Alvintc
(newbie) Thu 19-Sep-19 14:25:49
Print Post

I think you've missed my issue. The issue is the ONLY group that set the thursday update was Cerberus.

Due to the exact reasons you've listed, why wouldn't they pick Friday? Or Fortnightly (as I put previously)..
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Thu 19-Sep-19 15:06:38
Print Post

[re: Alvintc] [link to this post]

Because everyone knows Openreach issue on a Thursday, weekly. It takes about 5-minutes on Google to ascertain this, and you can even find process documents for the whole FTTPoD process online. If Cerberus issued on a Friday fortnightly everyone would complain about the extra day, and the missing weeks. Cerberus aim to get updates out as fast as possible after receiving them.

Thursday or Friday for the update make zero difference to how the project has actually moved along.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Thu 19-Sep-19 16:07:54
Print Post

Jabuzzard

I suspect it is the third option as at the prices OR sell the service on there is little chance of making a profit subsequently if there is inly 1 or 2 customers on the splitter ( or sometimes whole PON)

I suspect that they are only making an ongoing profit on new build sites where they get a much higher density of customers per equipment. Think of all the assets that FTTPoD has sitting there without much use especially if a new PON had to be provided for just one customer for £24.38 per month ( New pricing)..
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 19-Sep-19 17:34:16
Print Post

BT Wholesale don't sell anything above 330/30 on FTTPoD, irrespective of what the DSL checker shows. Only CPs such as Spectrum - who can bypass BT Wholesale in certain areas - can offer 1000/220 on FTTPoD but this will be in very few areas. The likes of Cerberus & FluidOne certainly won't sell you anythging above 330/30 on FTTPoD at present.

I recently had FTTPoD installed by Cerberus, and they said it was possible to do an in-life upgrade to 1000/220 or 500/165. However, since this attracts a one-off charge of £1000, it would be more cost-effective just to wait until the end of the 12 month contract period when the setup cost drops to £500. (Or at that point I can just regrade 330/30 to 330/50, which is what I wanted to do anyway)
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Sep-19 18:08:25
Print Post

I recently had FTTPoD installed by Cerberus, and they said it was possible to do an in-life upgrade to 1000/220 or 500/165. However, since this attracts a one-off charge of £1000, it would be more cost-effective just to wait until the end of the 12 month contract period when the setup cost drops to £500. (Or at that point I can just regrade 330/30 to 330/50, which is what I wanted to do anyway)

That's because after you've had FTTPoD installed, your line is treated as 'native' FTTP by Openreach which is why they were able to offer you upgrades mid-contract. Cerberus won't provision a new /fresh FTTPoD order at 500 or 1000 Mbps as BT Wholesale don't sell anything above 330/30 for FoD. Stupid I know...

Netgear RAX200 AX11000
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 19-Sep-19 19:21:09
Print Post

That's because after you've had FTTPoD installed, your line is treated as 'native' FTTP by Openreach

Undoubtedly true for Openreach: but for the initial 12 month period of the FTTPoD service, Cerberus said BT Enterprise(*) did not offer an option of upgrading to 330/50 - only to 500 or 1000.

I suppose I could take a second FTTP service at 330/50 for 12 months, but that would be silly smile

(*) New name for BT Wholesale
Standard User shaunhw
(experienced) Fri 20-Sep-19 19:37:02
Print Post

I read j0hn83 post differently than you, I don't believe he was saying that it would be a waste of money,

Please forgive me if I gave the impression that I thought he had said that. I didn't think he said that at all. I was just thinking back to another discussion I'd seen where someone said exactly the same as I did. In my case, I think an FTTPoD would have more value, that I am getting from the new car I bought, which has not been used very much at all.

I'm going to keep this car for longer, using the money I would have spent otherwise, for FTTPoD instead! Unless things change drastically I'll still have only done 20,000 miles if I keep the car for six years!

Regards,
Shaun.

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Fri 20-Sep-19 20:34:38
Print Post

Zarjaz

I will have to wander around a Fibre first area ( Several exchanges in Cardiff) looking upwards and see what is on a busy pole, although I have never seen any with quite as crowded as ours. Back in 2004/5, before full separation, I had the debate with the Access architect in Martlesham who claimed no pole had more than 24 pairs, I ended up sending him a photo. He claimed it broke all the planning rules until everyone started sending him photo's from around the country with more than 24 pairs. ( Doing an FTTP ITT at the time).
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Sep-19 21:01:40
Print Post

I could point folk to pole in Whitchurch, Hampshire, with 40 copper pairs, a manifold, and a CBT .....

Standard User dect
(committed) Sat 21-Sep-19 12:36:58
Print Post

In my case, I think an FTTPoD would have more value, that I am getting from the new car I bought, which has not been used very much at all.
Hi shaunhw

You make a really good point about value for money and I like your car analogy.

Everyone will have different opinions as we all priorities our money differently. For some they invest money in their future and others in the here and now. There is no right and wrong as its your money and you spend it how you feel fit.
(newbie) Tue 01-Oct-19 18:09:10
Print Post

I was coming home from work today and to my surprise, there were a load of new poles up. I only completed my payment on the 13/9/2019, I was kind of thinking it would take six months before seeing anything like this. Is it all a coincidence?

Photo.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 01-Oct-19 18:39:25
Print Post

Anything on roadworks.org for your area? Worth keeping an eye on.
Standard User Disca
(learned) Thu 03-Oct-19 10:31:15
Print Post

If its anything like my ongoing install then prepare yourself for frustration because the progress is in very small bursts of activity followed by large gaps in between. Engineers turned up recently to do work on the pole outside my house and there was a branch in the way, so they left site and scheduled in a tree pruner (who did it about 3 days later). Not seen them since, another 2 weeks pass.

Its frustrating but as long as you remember there is no estimated date for install given its acceptable I guess. Their job scheduling is to blame I expect, its do a job, wait 2 weeks for someone to look at the job status, schedule in another action, 2 weeks later someone else arrives and says they cant do it, wait another 2 weeks. Cycle continues on and on until hopefully eventually its done smile
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 03-Oct-19 10:48:44
Print Post

That's pretty much exactly how it goes - except the cycle can be much longer than 2 weeks, especially if roadworks noticing is required.

Mine was 3.5 months from survey order to final pricing, then another 14 months from that point to service activation. In my experience, no two tasks were ever scheduled in parallel: it was always wait for task X to complete, before scheduling task Y.
Standard User Disca
(learned) Thu 03-Oct-19 17:43:49
Print Post

I've had the 2 months roadworks delay already! 1 month to appear on the roadworks website and 1 month to do a 30cm x 30cm little dig/patch on someones driveway up the road.

Its their way of working thats frustrating, they must be doing many,many jobs at once, all slowly instead of just finishing one job and moving onto another. For the amount of actual labour I have seen the entire thing could be done in < 2 weeks IF they wanted to.

At the end of the day, you go into this hoping for 3 months but being mindful it might take much longer so this is more of a rant then a complaint smile
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 03-Oct-19 17:54:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Disca:
I've had the 2 months roadworks delay already!

You can easily have four or five of those delays one after the other, as each problem / blockage etc is found.
(newbie) Thu 03-Oct-19 18:31:54
Print Post

I'm in Northern Ireland and the road works website doesn't seem to cover us. The workers apparently had mobile traffic lights and have installed about eight poles in a day. I have my fingers crossed that the rest of the install goes as smoothly.
Standard User Disca
(learned) Sat 12-Oct-19 11:14:01
Print Post

Bit of progress on my build. BT have installed the equipment (single black box, about the same size as the existing one) on the pole. Confirmed zero more blockages, just fibre jointing being done. Actually expected more hardware to be installed on the pole other than the 2nd black box and a "fibre overhead" warning label there, was quite suprised. Engineer said he'd been told to connect 10 fibres to it (one of each of the potentially connected houses). Not sure how long the next steps will take. Does anyone know if the engineer just turns up to connect your house or do they make an appointment? If appointment do they call before hand, write a letter or go through Cerberus/your isp to arrange?
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Oct-19 11:44:36
Print Post

Does anyone know if the engineer just turns up to connect your house or do they make an appointment? If appointment do they call before hand, write a letter or go through Cerberus/your isp to arrange?

Openreach (or the CP) *should* call you in advance to arrange an appointment for the internal cabling,ONT etc but I've heard of 1 or 2 cases where the Openreach bod simply turns up unannounced. I had an Openreach manager call me up a week or so prior to the final engineer visit.

TN FTTP(oD) 330/50 -- 4+2 ONT -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User dect
(committed) Sat 12-Oct-19 11:47:33
Print Post

Bit of progress on my build. BT have installed the equipment (single black box, about the same size as the existing one) on the pole. Confirmed zero more blockages, just fibre jointing being done. Actually expected more hardware to be installed on the pole other than the 2nd black box and a "fibre overhead" warning label there, was quite suprised. Engineer said he'd been told to connect 10 fibres to it (one of each of the potentially connected houses). Not sure how long the next steps will take. Does anyone know if the engineer just turns up to connect your house or do they make an appointment? If appointment do they call before hand, write a letter or go through Cerberus/your isp to arrange?
So there was no CBT just a single black box? do you have a pic you can share?
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sat 12-Oct-19 12:09:40
Print Post

Not sure how long the next steps will take. Does anyone know if the engineer just turns up to connect your house or do they make an appointment? If appointment do they call before hand, write a letter or go through Cerberus/your isp to arrange?

You should get an appointment via Cerberus.

But it may be a couple of weeks before that happens. Auditors have to come and inspect the work done; and there is configuration work to be done at the exchange.
Standard User Disca
(learned) Sat 12-Oct-19 14:25:51
Print Post

The only thing on the top of the pole thats new is *similar * to this (it might have more ports)
http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/wp-content/uploads/20...
nothing else added apart from the fibre cable tacked onto the pole.

I was expecting something else as I have seen pictures of a big round looking box as well further down the pole.

Edited by Disca (Sat 12-Oct-19 14:28:20)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Oct-19 15:45:15
Print Post

Your link is of a small CBT (connectorised block terminal) which is what is expected at the top of a pole to provide an FTTP service.

The other thing you describe is a fibre joint, not always on a pole below a CBT.

Standard User dect
(committed) Sun 13-Oct-19 16:14:18
Print Post

The other thing you describe is a fibre joint, not always on a pole below a CBT.
One less fibre joint has got to be a good thing.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 15-Oct-19 08:47:54
Print Post

The only thing on the top of the pole thats new is *similar * to this (it might have more ports)
http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/wp-content/uploads/20...

BTW I think the image name ("connectorised-splitter.jpg") is wrong, as it's not a splitter. A 4-port CBT has has 4 fibres coming into it, one for each port. The splitter will be upstream somewhere.
Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 15-Oct-19 09:38:55
Print Post

BTW I think the image name ("connectorised-splitter.jpg") is wrong, as it's not a splitter. A 4-port CBT has has 4 fibres coming into it, one for each port. The splitter will be upstream somewhere.
Some of the Openreach diagrams available on the web indicate they were initially looking at doing 2 level splitting when they first launched CBT's (the second split being in the CBT) but from what Zarjaz has stated on here it was never rolled out.

Edit: The split ratio at the CBT would have been 1:4 so 1 fibre for every 4 ports and at the primary splitter the ratio would have been 1:8 so 1 fibre split 8 ways

Edited by dect (Tue 15-Oct-19 09:51:52)

Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 15-Oct-19 10:19:21
Print Post

As we are talking about CBT's I have a question

Do they always connect all CBT ports to the splitter? for example the smallest CBT is 4 port and its on a rural pole that can only ever service 1 property do Openreach still connect all 4 ports or only 1 port? If they don't connect all ports is there a standard way these are marked to show they are not connected to the splitter?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Oct-19 11:58:21
Print Post

Nope, not all are connected, the same as for copper DPís.

Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 15-Oct-19 14:50:27
Print Post

Nope, not all are connected
Thanks, so no visual check (e.g. marked in some way) to determine how many are connected through?
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 15-Oct-19 17:52:10
Print Post

I'd have thought the cable would carry at least 4 strands - so if somebody else did order service, they'd just have to splice it onto a spare splitter port.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Oct-19 18:44:02
Print Post

Nope, just held on records.

(newbie) Thu 17-Oct-19 18:11:56
Print Post

My fibre poles were erected on the 1/10/19

on the 16/10/19 I got this update.

Poles are up but we need to lay 100m duct in soft to create a shunt below 110KV power. Estimated required by date for this work will be about 4 weeks or around the middle of November. DRD (I am checking on this with BT) Permits to work are required.

It's interesting just seeing how long all these things take.
Standard User Disca
(learned) Fri 18-Oct-19 11:58:27
Print Post

Another update on my build.. getting ever closer it seems

"This order only started the commissioning process on 15/10. This means that the external build has completed.
Please note Commissioning can take 2-3 weeks depending on the results of the audit and if any defects are reported.
Once the commissioning/auditing is completed successfully the final internal visit will be booked. "

Hope the "audit" results in no issues.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to