General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Davids355
(newbie) Wed 26-Jun-19 07:57:32
Print Post

BTNet 100mb lease line slow performance

[link to this post]

Hi guys,
I have a BTNet 100mbps lease line that seems to be under-performing.
When I run a speed test via speedtest.net it is reporting 20mbps up and down.

Just wondering if anyone else has a similar line and if so what speeds you get on speedtest.net. The reason I ask is that BT are saying speedtest.net is not a supported tool and that it will not report correct readings for a BTNet line. But I am not sure that I believe this.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Jun-19 09:51:42
Print Post

Re: BTNet 100mb lease line slow performance

[re: Davids355] [link to this post]

Is the leased line sold as 100 Mbps to the Internet or 100 Mbps burst with sustained 20 Mbps speeds

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Gadget
(committed) Wed 26-Jun-19 10:22:05
Print Post

BTnet can be delivered over a 100Mbps bearer, but the product purchased may only be a 20Mbps connection - time to check the actual contract....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PDKOldie
(newbie) Wed 26-Jun-19 11:16:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Assuming you have a BT EAD with a 100Mb/s bearer and you have a 100Mb/s Etherflow rate on your contract you may find that your speed tests will not show the correct result. If you have a 20Mb/s Etherflow then you may find that your speed tester gives a reasonable speed indication.

HOWEVER

From my experience I have run 5 second layer 2 probes on a EAD while loading the circuit to max capacity for one hour, and I have observed the packet probe showing 30Mb/s (this was on an Etherflow of 30Mb/s), but running Ookla and speedtest.net and some others, we never saw a speed test result better than 20Mb/s and usually around 14 to 15Mb/s

This was done early in the morning to mitigate Internet congestion getting in the way.

So my conclusion was that speed testers on EADs do seem to produce consitently - inconsitent - speed results. If that is down to way the control planes at certain points are behaving, I am not sure.

Also BT EADs have (when I last looked), a 20% commit rate, meaning even if you have a 100Mb/s Etherflow they will only commit to deliver 20Mb/s when they experience congestion at any point. One of the reasons I tend to not use BT if I can help it, when I have clients who run at max capacity.
Standard User Davids355
(newbie) Wed 26-Jun-19 11:48:31
Print Post

[re: PDKOldie] [link to this post]

Hi guys, thanks so much for all the replies.
Even though this issue has been on-going for several months, coincidentally just as I posted here, it has now actually been resolved!! As it turned out, BT had put an incorrect "template" on the system/line/router, don't know the full details, but basically it had been set up for a smaller Cisco router than the one we actually had, and as a result the WAN port was capped at 20MBPS.

Now they've resolved this, we're getting speed test results from speedtest.net of 90MBPS+

Thanks again for the quick replies, really appreciated.
Standard User Alucidnation
(member) Wed 26-Jun-19 21:38:50
Print Post

Correct me if Iím
Wrong but surely you you should be getting the full 100 download speed?

I thought that was the whole point of a 1:1 connection.
Standard User Davids355
(newbie) Wed 26-Jun-19 21:54:55
Print Post

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

You'd think so, but BT had already said that they have a certain tolerance level for these lines and they advised that 80MBPS was within their tolerence (!!).
Standard User Alucidnation
(member) Thu 27-Jun-19 06:08:26
Print Post

[re: PDKOldie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PDKOldie:
Assuming you have a BT EAD with a 100Mb/s bearer and you have a 100Mb/s Etherflow rate on your contract you may find that your speed tests will not show the correct result. If you have a 20Mb/s Etherflow then you may find that your speed tester gives a reasonable speed indication.

HOWEVER

From my experience I have run 5 second layer 2 probes on a EAD while loading the circuit to max capacity for one hour, and I have observed the packet probe showing 30Mb/s (this was on an Etherflow of 30Mb/s), but running Ookla and speedtest.net and some others, we never saw a speed test result better than 20Mb/s and usually around 14 to 15Mb/s

This was done early in the morning to mitigate Internet congestion getting in the way.

So my conclusion was that speed testers on EADs do seem to produce consitently - inconsitent - speed results. If that is down to way the control planes at certain points are behaving, I am not sure.

Also BT EADs have (when I last looked), a 20% commit rate, meaning even if you have a 100Mb/s Etherflow they will only commit to deliver 20Mb/s when they experience congestion at any point. One of the reasons I tend to not use BT if I can help it, when I have clients who run at max capacity.

Who do you use if you donít mind me asking?
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Thu 27-Jun-19 08:30:21
Print Post

Is that for the overall BTnet service or the leased line?
The EAD just the tail component connecting the end user to the network and should capable of running at near full speed 100%
Standard User Davids355
(newbie) Thu 27-Jun-19 08:38:55
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

To be honest I am not sure. Its been such hard work getting this far, I have lost track of the other details. I think its taken around 3 months for us to resolve this issue! Even BT seemed pretty embarrassed about the whole thing.
  Print Thread

Jump to