General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-Jul-19 13:36:11
Print Post

Re: G.fast added on Cabinet 9 today

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
I went to next two doors of mine and they kindly polite to let me in and see what telephone socket they have - unbelievable they got very old socket in hallway (master socket) here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/... they getting perfect g.fast on 330/50 but my hallway socket got new https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/images/VDSLMK4NTE5CM... and only getting 198/29 on g.fast. But they are using virgin media cable and they don't want broadband from BT. Wish they can swap my house. smile
Ummmm smile smile wink

You seem to be getting you, and maybe some of us, confused there max. First you say they are on G.Fast 330/50 and give us a pic of their phone socket, then you say they are on VM Cable and don't want broadband from BT.

Which is it?

Furthermore, precisely 40 minutes and 10 seconds ago you said:-
Yes but Virgin Media are rubbish. I don't want it. I never get more than 210 on 350/20 last year. Cancelled it with 12 days later.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-Jul-19 13:37:43
Print Post

... they getting perfect g.fast on 330/50

Wish they can swap my house. smile
???

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 13:39:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Two next doors of mine say they seem happy with virgin media but don't know what package they are with 50/100/200/350?. But that was my last speed result from VM of mine last year here: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15348180536...

Edited by adslmax (Sun 07-Jul-19 13:41:37)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 13:44:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My older brother who live in St.Georges in Telford has joined Telelwest before VM in early 1990 and they never have BT line. They seem happy with VM at 100/6. My bro told me you don't need more than 100Meg for Netflix, streaming online and internet browser and email. My bro kept telling me just be happy what you got 80/20 with FTTC that's pretty good line.

Edited by adslmax (Sun 07-Jul-19 13:47:03)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 14:54:29
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

[seb]: Deleted; text copied from another forum without link so doesn't seem fair

Edited by seb (Mon 08-Jul-19 11:17:53)

Standard User busterboy
(member) Sun 07-Jul-19 15:37:52
Print Post

Yes but Virgin Media are rubbish. I don't want it. I never get more than 210 on 350/20 last year. Cancelled it with 12 days later.

I would give my right arm for the chance of anything above the 1Mbps that I currently have and struggled with for the last 10 years.

Jeez.!!

BTBroadband
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-Jul-19 17:33:40
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:
I would give my right arm for the chance of anything above the 1Mbps that I currently have and struggled with for the last 10 years.
What's your Three Mobile signal like? You don't seem to post in the Gaming forum, and if you aren't doing gaming then the latency variability of mobile broadband ceases to matter.

See the Mobile Broadband forum here for the last year, as my story started in December there and several people have moved to one of the two truly unlimited Three Mobile broadband offerings since. Also see my sig for my speeds.

Latest SIM Only. Can be used in a dongle or tethered phone.

Mobile WiFi router inc. SIM.

I started with the phone SIM but later added the earlier Huawei 311B router+SIM to support a security camera, which obviously wouldn't send to the Cloud when I went out with my phone.

To test the Three connection against my previous EE one I bought a Three PAYG SIM from the papershop for a quid and put £5 on it.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 07-Jul-19 23:11:36
Print Post

While Gfast supports shifting things around you have to do it for all lines on a pod, so no download/upload tuning for an individual and no control by Zen.

Your in most cases with the 30 Mbps limit on FTTP is pretty old hat
e.g. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15619393153... an FTTP test in a Fibre First area

FTTP is GPON based so nothing stopping them technically doing more upload if they want to market a product with say 100, 200 or even 1000 Mbps upload

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 08-Jul-19 08:25:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
FTTP is GPON based so nothing stopping them technically doing more upload if they want to market a product with say 100, 200 or even 1000 Mbps upload

Presumably they don't want to cannibalise leased line sales - and also because the competition isn't offering high upload rates.

However, Vodafone/Cityfibre are offering symmetric 100/100, 500/500 and 900/900 on GPON. If they reach significant coverage then Openreach may have to respond in kind.
Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 08-Jul-19 09:00:22
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

This thread makes for great comedy reading for us that are stuck with lines over 1.5km!! laugh

Unbelievable that someone can complain about getting speeds of around 200mbit - I'm at a loss understanding why someone needs any more bandwidth than this?!

I currently have a 22mbit connection on my 1.5km+ line length, I can stream Netflix/Amazon in 4k without issue, do everything I need to do, and don't see the need for much more (some more upload would be nice as this is just 1mbit). I used to be a heavy downloader (ie, Torrents, illegal, yes...) but don't see the point in doing this these days.

I may have the option of FTTP in the coming years, but even so, I don't see me opting for anything more than a 40mbit package. There's just no need for all that bandwidth at this present time (hence demand for Ultrafast packages is low).

Personally, I think GFAST is a good way to get those that are close to cabinets a faster connection - but as they are likely to have 80mbit already, I guess take up will always be low, there's just no demand. I personally don't really see those that are in close vicinity to their PCP getting FTTP any time soon (unless in a city) - it will be those on longer lines that get targeted first IMO where take up is likely to be higher.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to