General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Jul-19 09:05:25
Print Post

Re: G.fast added on Cabinet 9 today

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

Posts such as yours have arisen around each new speed service available ....

The speeds required to make the ‘internet run smoothly’ on home devices has, and will continue to rise....

Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 08-Jul-19 10:16:24
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I agree. But I still don't see the need for anything more than 40mbit for the general user in the next 5 years or so hence Adslmax's arguments make no sense (when he can already access 200mbit services)

Personally, I'm looking forward to the day I can have FTTP, just for the future possibilities it will bring.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Jul-19 10:44:30
Print Post

There are some things that are just nicer beyond 40 Mbps - e.g. the 100GB digital game downloads, but you are trading a few minutes time and even on a slower line I find the install to disk takes longer than the download for 5-10GB game patches.

The problem point is that in 4 or 5 years we will likely be at the point where a lot more people are pushing for 100 Mbps as a minimum and if we only start to build FTTP at that point there will be problems.

The bit about Virgin Media being slow - well I hate to break it to people but once you get wide adoption on the FTTP platforms similar peak to off peak swings in speed are going to happen and the 'average' in the adverts will look just as daft as the old up to and actually be more misleading.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Jul-19 10:59:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Will Zen Internet be able to do this way G.fast 80/40 instead of 198/29 if I want this way or impossible?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Jul-19 11:00:49
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Impossible unless Zen install their own GFAST pod and there is no other Gfast in the cabinet area.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gary333
(regular) Mon 08-Jul-19 11:19:21
Print Post

There isn't a 'need' for most people, however there is certainly a 'want'.

You don't have to wait for 5 years as there are already uses for higher speed. By example some of the games my kids have are in the region of 75GB downloads. @200mb/sec this would 50 minutes, @40mb/sec this would take over 4 hours.

If I work from home I can easily be working on multiple >1GB files. I don't want to have to wait for 3 minutes just to open a 1GB file, at 200mb/sec that's still 40 seconds so twiddle thumb time.

All my family use online streaming, sometimes this can mean 4 or more streams. If you also want to download a game update at the same time things slow down.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(newbie) Mon 08-Jul-19 12:10:22
Print Post

I've completely lost the topic/thread here

Is it just me? I can't fathom what the actual point of discussion here is beyond that a guy's parents who almost certainly wouldn't be interested in it anyway can't order G.fast, and a guy who doesn't even touch the sides of 80Mb can only get 200Mb and has green eye as people on a different cable route can get 330?

Building better networks, not just faster ones.

Any resemblance between the posts of this account and Ignitionnet are entirely intentional. R Kelly rather killed the connotations of the old one.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(newbie) Mon 08-Jul-19 12:32:17
Print Post

Hey Max, ICYMI.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.

Any resemblance between the posts of this account and Ignitionnet are entirely intentional. R Kelly rather killed the connotations of the old one.

Edited by CarlTSpeak (Mon 08-Jul-19 12:32:34)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Jul-19 12:34:27
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

Sorry not interested in your speed test result
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 08-Jul-19 12:34:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Will Zen Internet be able to do this way G.fast 80/40 instead of 198/29 if I want this way or impossible?
No, but they might start home delivery of free range eggs instead smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to