General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Jul-19 12:26:29
Print Post

G.fast added on Cabinet 9 today

[link to this post]

G.fast went live for cabinet 9 but sadly my parents couldm't have g.fast because the line length are too far away of more than 400m away

http://dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ADSLChecker.Addres...

No wonder g.fast is very poor indeed and should abolished it and replaced with full fibre instead.

None of all houses by my parents area have g.fast except one house will get it is pretty madness just like my two next doors of my house will get g.fast 330/50 but my house only get 198/29 (this one I never bother to order g.fast)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Jul-19 12:38:14
Print Post

Re: G.fast added on Cabinet 9 today

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Are you saying the pod is actually only serving 1 property in its total footprint, or just the postcode your parents are in?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Jul-19 12:43:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Served 384 property houses mostly houses in Woodrows will get G.fast. My parents are different post code but connected to cabinet 9 at Woodrows.

Edited by adslmax (Sat 06-Jul-19 12:44:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Jul-19 15:53:05
Print Post

Gfast is poor and being poorly deployed and to paper over BT's [censored] network, a 3rd of the houses connected to a gfast pod can get it, waste of time..

Connection Speed 79999 kbps 19999 kbps
Line Attenuation (dB) DS1:9.5 DS2:20.9 DS3:31.1 US0:5.3 US1:17.8 US2:24.6
Noise Margin (dB) DS1:6.5 DS2:6.5 DS3:6.5 US0:13.7 US1:13.8 US2:13.8
Sky Q Hub
My Broadband Ping
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Jul-19 18:46:23
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lockyatlrg:
Gfast is poor and being poorly deployed and to paper over BT's [censored] network, a 3rd of the houses connected to a gfast pod can get it, waste of time..
It's cost effective if you look at the total coverage for the amount invested, though. To an accountant it'd probably looks like a pretty good deal if they know nothing about the market or the future. The short range makes it a poor technical choice for what amounts to end of life technology and in my opinion not enough people want those kind of speeds yet. So the one good thing about G.FAST is that not enough people care enough about it to get really worked up over its shortcomings.

It's basically a partial solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. So even though it probably is cost effective on paper the poor take up and timing makes it a lousy technical solution. I don't think take up will ever reach even the paltry coverage it could be so I bet it makes a loss. Then it has to be removed - at some cost - in order to make way for the correct solution which is FTTP.

Just a waste of resources and I still think it's either someone trying to make their choice to invest in the R&D look good or else openreach had a contractual obligation to roll it out as part of the R&D process.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Jul-19 20:53:51
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Could it not be a knee jerk response to the threat of OFCOM’s Vorpal sword ?

Imagined financial penalties for low overall speeds ?

Standard User j0el
(regular) Sat 06-Jul-19 21:37:48
Print Post

The debate is that a remote node would be better, of course. But for myself at least, G.fast has been very reliable and fast. I am not the closest to the cabinet/pod, so there are certainly quite a few people here that could benefit from maximum speeds (330/50) if they wanted - but I don't see much demand for a higher speed.

At the moment, FTTP would actually serve no real worthwhile benefit over G.fast for me since the headend exchange has ECI hardware to my knowledge so it would be limited to 330/50 anyway, and I already get that on G.fast at my distance.
Standard User partial
(experienced) Sat 06-Jul-19 22:25:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Don't reckon OFCOM are any threat on this.

A GFast Pod can be bolted on a cab, ties terminated and hybrid fibre and power cable pulled by a subby in a day.

That gives Max an opportunity to not buy high speed GFast services astronomically cheaper and quicker than choosing not to buy high speed FTTP services

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 11:11:15
Print Post

Cabinet 9 with post code TF7 5PJ

G.fast with over 310/45 with door numbers 84-89, 91-99 & 100-109 but these door numbers 90 & 110-121 will getting no G.fast at all.

I have emailed to Openreach to re-addresses these problem with no G.fast and to explain why one house will get nothing while next door will have it. And why my house get lower speed than the rest of 8 houses get getter G.fast speed with one of them got magic 330/50 compare to mine at 198/29 just two next doors to it. I want Openreach to explain this reason please and also fired off emailed to Ofcom about this too.

For cabinet 8 with post code TF7 5NT there are 9 houses for g.fast estimate speed set by BTw for 36 houses on the same layout on the same street with the same cabinet pcp 8. (The rest of 27 houses will have no g.fast at all)

Seem pretty odd. My house are the worse lower 198/29 for the G.fast in house number 8 all the other houses are better than mine. Very strange as house number 6 are much better higher on G.fast at 330/50 (two next doors of mine)

Edited by adslmax (Sun 07-Jul-19 11:19:55)

Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Jul-19 11:30:06
Print Post

https://i.imgur.com/rsJqONa.png

This is my cab gfast deployment. I can't get Gfast on my 230meter line which has 80 high 69 low VDSL estimates.

really is rubbish..

Sky Q Hub
My Broadband Ping

Edited by lockyatlrg (Sun 07-Jul-19 11:31:21)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 11:38:59
Print Post

You are best to emailed Openreach and complaint also email Ofcom too. So, they will put more pressure on Openreach to do something with your cabinet 40.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Jul-19 11:40:51
Print Post

https://i.imgur.com/kUHJeAc.png

House further from the cab can get it but mine can't, house closer to the can get worst gfast results too. BTOR really have zero clue what they are doing...

Sky Q Hub
My Broadband Ping
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 11:46:45
Print Post

Yeah I think the problem is down to cable route either underground or overhead pole etc. My house is the same layout footpath just two next door of mine get 330/50 while I only getting 198/29 but worse part one house next two doors to mine get no G.fast at all. All on the same cabinet PCP 8. But our is underground telephone cable. Zen Internet say to me you are better off stay where u are at 80/20 because Zen saying G.fast is too far away as I am over 250m from it and Zen did warned me that upload could be lower than your VDSL. Zen say BTw computer say NO to 330/50 but YES to 152/12 so Zen think it not worth to order it and say I better off stay with VDSL at 80/20.

Edited by adslmax (Sun 07-Jul-19 11:54:17)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-Jul-19 11:49:17
Print Post

https://i.imgur.com/kUHJeAc.png

House further from the cab can get it but mine can't, house closer to the can get worst gfast results too. BTOR really have zero clue what they are doing...
This sort of thing is often caused by the copper from the PCP going down the other side of the street from you, then crossing over and coming back to you. Result, the house on your side physically nearest to the cab is electronically the furthest from it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 11:52:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
This sort of thing is often caused by the copper from the PCP going down the other side of the street from you, then crossing over and coming back to you. Result, the house on your side physically nearest to the cab is electronically the furthest from it.

Why don't OR just improvement underground re-route cable or overhead pole but they can't be bothered to do this. Leave as it was. Next ten years time will change to FTTP instead and G.fast will be gone.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sun 07-Jul-19 11:53:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
You are best to emailed Openreach and complaint also email Ofcom too.

Please do not waste Ofcom's time: this is nothing to do with Ofcom.

G.Fast is an unregulated, commercial product, and Openreach can choose to offer it (or not) when and where they wish. If your neighbour can get it but you can't, tough. Ditto if your neighbour gets faster speeds than you. That's just the nature of G.Fast.
Standard User partial
(experienced) Sun 07-Jul-19 12:02:40
Print Post

These houses are all Virgin addressable.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 12:04:53
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
These houses are all Virgin addressable.

Yes but Virgin Media are rubbish. I don't want it. I never get more than 210 on 350/20 last year. Cancelled it with 12 days later.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Jul-19 12:05:51
Print Post

Explain why my VDSL estimates are better than the house thats further away that can get gfast?

Sky Q Hub
My Broadband Ping
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 12:07:50
Print Post

Explain why my VDSL estimates are better than the house thats further away that can get gfast?

Yes how true, very true!
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 12:08:56
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Note that it's those who can't get G-Fast for whatever reason that consider it to be a waste of time, resources, etc. I don't see the same moans from those enjoying their fast G-Fast connections. Sour grapes anyone?? Some basic knowledge of Physics might also help, however I suspect that few if any of those moaning know any more BT's network, costs and commercial decision making than the the vast majority of us posting here.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Jul-19 12:13:05
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
Note that it's those who can't get G-Fast for whatever reason that consider it to be a waste of time, resources, etc. I don't see the same moans from those enjoying their fast G-Fast connections. Sour grapes anyone?? Some basic knowledge of Physics might also help, however I suspect that few if any of those moaning know any more BT's network, costs and commercial decision making than the the vast majority of us posting here.

I think you're the one being bit of a nob here.. We are more annoyed that BTOR database is [censored] and stopping people who want and can physically get Gfast but can't order it.

What you're saying is BT is perfect.. and Gfast is perfect as you can get it... grow up..

Sky Q Hub
My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-Jul-19 12:15:40
Print Post

Why don't OR just improvement underground re-route cable or overhead pole but they can't be bothered to do this. Leave as it was. Next ten years time will change to FTTP instead and G.fast will be gone.
My post wasn’t about your line max smile. It was a reply to lockyatlrg.

It may not apply to your case, but if it does explain his then think of the costs of doing that particularly if the copper is underground. Then consider the very low probability of G.Fast takeup by the houses that benefit, and the loss of access to it by others that currently have that and may have signed up.

Or maybe you will reply they should just cut the copper at the far end from the PCP and connect the near end of the tail? Even if that is technically possible and feasible, it would not be self-financing. Negative ROI. (Return on investment).

G.Fast rollout to PCPs is and probably always will remain a mystery and a waste of money. That has been covered many times on this forum. The only explanation I can think of is they had contracted to buy so many of the pods and when they found out the concept was a financial disaster/dodo they were scared of the bad publicity and the rage from Ofcom, government and shareholders if they sold off the gear for scrap. Or paid out millions in cancellation charges and damages to the manufacturers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Alucidnation
(member) Sun 07-Jul-19 12:24:02
Print Post

Unless i'm misunderstanding something here, gFast is available to those that are closest to the cabinet, and who will more than likely get 70+ connection anyway, and yet those further away can't and have to suffer with 40 or much less?

Draytek 2862.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Jul-19 12:29:48
Print Post

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Alucidnation:
Unless i'm misunderstanding something here, gFast is available to those that are closest to the cabinet, and who will more than likely get 70+ connection anyway, and yet those further away can't and have to suffer with 40 or much less?

Yes and according to MCM you're just a moaner who is hating on BT...

Sky Q Hub
My Broadband Ping
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 12:33:20
Print Post

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Alucidnation:

I seen few of those who are very close next door to G.fast cabinet and still got no G.fast at all while the rest of it have it. It's just a lottery good luck or bad luck. OR might tell them TOUGH!

One house get 80 high and 74 low clean with no G.fast and one house get 80 high and low at 68 get G.fast with 330/50 that make no sense at all?

Edited by adslmax (Sun 07-Jul-19 12:37:42)

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 12:41:24
Print Post

Yes and according to MCM you're just a moaner who is hating on BT...
Indeed there can be no question that you like to moan as that is all you ever seem to be doing in these forums in recent weeks. We all now know your feelings about BT and G-Fast. Now move on and I look forward to seeing you posting a logical, coherent and constructive post.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 12:45:03
Print Post

I went to next two doors of mine and they kindly polite to let me in and see what telephone socket they have - unbelievable they got very old socket in hallway (master socket) here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/... they getting perfect g.fast on 330/50 but my hallway socket got new https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/images/VDSLMK4NTE5CM... and only getting 198/29 on g.fast. But they are using virgin media cable and they don't want broadband from BT. Wish they can swap my house. smile

Edited by adslmax (Sun 07-Jul-19 12:51:09)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 07-Jul-19 13:20:16
Print Post

So they have G.fast or is this is based on the checker?

Before moaning about sockets and things, you need to compare actual speeds seen.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 13:34:37
Print Post

Both on the speed checker as both of us don't have G.fast on the line
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-Jul-19 13:36:11
Print Post

I went to next two doors of mine and they kindly polite to let me in and see what telephone socket they have - unbelievable they got very old socket in hallway (master socket) here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/... they getting perfect g.fast on 330/50 but my hallway socket got new https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/images/VDSLMK4NTE5CM... and only getting 198/29 on g.fast. But they are using virgin media cable and they don't want broadband from BT. Wish they can swap my house. smile
Ummmm smile smile wink

You seem to be getting you, and maybe some of us, confused there max. First you say they are on G.Fast 330/50 and give us a pic of their phone socket, then you say they are on VM Cable and don't want broadband from BT.

Which is it?

Furthermore, precisely 40 minutes and 10 seconds ago you said:-
Yes but Virgin Media are rubbish. I don't want it. I never get more than 210 on 350/20 last year. Cancelled it with 12 days later.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-Jul-19 13:37:43
Print Post

... they getting perfect g.fast on 330/50

Wish they can swap my house. smile
???

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 13:39:06
Print Post

Two next doors of mine say they seem happy with virgin media but don't know what package they are with 50/100/200/350?. But that was my last speed result from VM of mine last year here: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15348180536...

Edited by adslmax (Sun 07-Jul-19 13:41:37)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 13:44:42
Print Post

My older brother who live in St.Georges in Telford has joined Telelwest before VM in early 1990 and they never have BT line. They seem happy with VM at 100/6. My bro told me you don't need more than 100Meg for Netflix, streaming online and internet browser and email. My bro kept telling me just be happy what you got 80/20 with FTTC that's pretty good line.

Edited by adslmax (Sun 07-Jul-19 13:47:03)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-19 14:54:29
Print Post

[seb]: Deleted; text copied from another forum without link so doesn't seem fair

Edited by seb (Mon 08-Jul-19 11:17:53)

Standard User busterboy
(member) Sun 07-Jul-19 15:37:52
Print Post

I would give my right arm for the chance of anything above the 1Mbps that I currently have and struggled with for the last 10 years.

Jeez.!!

BTBroadband
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-Jul-19 17:33:40
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:
I would give my right arm for the chance of anything above the 1Mbps that I currently have and struggled with for the last 10 years.
What's your Three Mobile signal like? You don't seem to post in the Gaming forum, and if you aren't doing gaming then the latency variability of mobile broadband ceases to matter.

See the Mobile Broadband forum here for the last year, as my story started in December there and several people have moved to one of the two truly unlimited Three Mobile broadband offerings since. Also see my sig for my speeds.

Latest SIM Only. Can be used in a dongle or tethered phone.

Mobile WiFi router inc. SIM.

I started with the phone SIM but later added the earlier Huawei 311B router+SIM to support a security camera, which obviously wouldn't send to the Cloud when I went out with my phone.

To test the Three connection against my previous EE one I bought a Three PAYG SIM from the papershop for a quid and put £5 on it.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 07-Jul-19 23:11:36
Print Post

While Gfast supports shifting things around you have to do it for all lines on a pod, so no download/upload tuning for an individual and no control by Zen.

Your in most cases with the 30 Mbps limit on FTTP is pretty old hat
e.g. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15619393153... an FTTP test in a Fibre First area

FTTP is GPON based so nothing stopping them technically doing more upload if they want to market a product with say 100, 200 or even 1000 Mbps upload

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 08-Jul-19 08:25:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
FTTP is GPON based so nothing stopping them technically doing more upload if they want to market a product with say 100, 200 or even 1000 Mbps upload

Presumably they don't want to cannibalise leased line sales - and also because the competition isn't offering high upload rates.

However, Vodafone/Cityfibre are offering symmetric 100/100, 500/500 and 900/900 on GPON. If they reach significant coverage then Openreach may have to respond in kind.
Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 08-Jul-19 09:00:22
Print Post

This thread makes for great comedy reading for us that are stuck with lines over 1.5km!! laugh

Unbelievable that someone can complain about getting speeds of around 200mbit - I'm at a loss understanding why someone needs any more bandwidth than this?!

I currently have a 22mbit connection on my 1.5km+ line length, I can stream Netflix/Amazon in 4k without issue, do everything I need to do, and don't see the need for much more (some more upload would be nice as this is just 1mbit). I used to be a heavy downloader (ie, Torrents, illegal, yes...) but don't see the point in doing this these days.

I may have the option of FTTP in the coming years, but even so, I don't see me opting for anything more than a 40mbit package. There's just no need for all that bandwidth at this present time (hence demand for Ultrafast packages is low).

Personally, I think GFAST is a good way to get those that are close to cabinets a faster connection - but as they are likely to have 80mbit already, I guess take up will always be low, there's just no demand. I personally don't really see those that are in close vicinity to their PCP getting FTTP any time soon (unless in a city) - it will be those on longer lines that get targeted first IMO where take up is likely to be higher.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Jul-19 09:05:25
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

Posts such as yours have arisen around each new speed service available ....

The speeds required to make the ‘internet run smoothly’ on home devices has, and will continue to rise....

Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 08-Jul-19 10:16:24
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I agree. But I still don't see the need for anything more than 40mbit for the general user in the next 5 years or so hence Adslmax's arguments make no sense (when he can already access 200mbit services)

Personally, I'm looking forward to the day I can have FTTP, just for the future possibilities it will bring.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Jul-19 10:44:30
Print Post

There are some things that are just nicer beyond 40 Mbps - e.g. the 100GB digital game downloads, but you are trading a few minutes time and even on a slower line I find the install to disk takes longer than the download for 5-10GB game patches.

The problem point is that in 4 or 5 years we will likely be at the point where a lot more people are pushing for 100 Mbps as a minimum and if we only start to build FTTP at that point there will be problems.

The bit about Virgin Media being slow - well I hate to break it to people but once you get wide adoption on the FTTP platforms similar peak to off peak swings in speed are going to happen and the 'average' in the adverts will look just as daft as the old up to and actually be more misleading.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Jul-19 10:59:00
Print Post

Will Zen Internet be able to do this way G.fast 80/40 instead of 198/29 if I want this way or impossible?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Jul-19 11:00:49
Print Post

Impossible unless Zen install their own GFAST pod and there is no other Gfast in the cabinet area.

Standard User gary333
(regular) Mon 08-Jul-19 11:19:21
Print Post

There isn't a 'need' for most people, however there is certainly a 'want'.

You don't have to wait for 5 years as there are already uses for higher speed. By example some of the games my kids have are in the region of 75GB downloads. @200mb/sec this would 50 minutes, @40mb/sec this would take over 4 hours.

If I work from home I can easily be working on multiple >1GB files. I don't want to have to wait for 3 minutes just to open a 1GB file, at 200mb/sec that's still 40 seconds so twiddle thumb time.

All my family use online streaming, sometimes this can mean 4 or more streams. If you also want to download a game update at the same time things slow down.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(newbie) Mon 08-Jul-19 12:10:22
Print Post

I've completely lost the topic/thread here

Is it just me? I can't fathom what the actual point of discussion here is beyond that a guy's parents who almost certainly wouldn't be interested in it anyway can't order G.fast, and a guy who doesn't even touch the sides of 80Mb can only get 200Mb and has green eye as people on a different cable route can get 330?

Building better networks, not just faster ones.

Any resemblance between the posts of this account and Ignitionnet are entirely intentional. R Kelly rather killed the connotations of the old one.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(newbie) Mon 08-Jul-19 12:32:17
Print Post

Hey Max, ICYMI.

Any resemblance between the posts of this account and Ignitionnet are entirely intentional. R Kelly rather killed the connotations of the old one.

Edited by CarlTSpeak (Mon 08-Jul-19 12:32:34)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Jul-19 12:34:27
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

Sorry not interested in your speed test result
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 08-Jul-19 12:34:55
Print Post

Will Zen Internet be able to do this way G.fast 80/40 instead of 198/29 if I want this way or impossible?
No, but they might start home delivery of free range eggs instead smile.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Jul-19 12:37:51
Print Post

No, but they might start home delivery of free range eggs instead smile.

I rather to have free Parachuting from Zen
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 08-Jul-19 12:52:43
Print Post

Or motorbike repairs.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Jul-19 16:37:08
Print Post

Got email from openreach to explain why two next doors of my house get 330/50 compared to my house 198/29 on G.fast.

*************.*******@openreach.co.uk

15:56 (36 minutes ago)

to me

Hi Mr ************

I’ve had one of our technical experts take a look at why the 2 premises below are being quoted different speeds, he’s confirmed that this is due to discrepancies being identified on one of the lines that would need to be resolved to enhance the speed. In this instance (door number ***) would be offered a managed install (engineering visit) to optimise the line and fix any wiring issues, whereas (door number ***) could opt for a self-install. The estimated speeds are based on physical measurements taken from our line test systems.

Regards

Principal of network capacity and copper new sites
Openreach
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jul-19 18:41:09
Print Post

I might start my own community fibre project to ask all neighbours in my area to join FTTP as possible, the more are interesting might leads Openreach considering to bring FTTP in my area if there is enough investiment from all neighbours. Am I allow to do this?
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Jul-19 16:22:04
Print Post

Just got email back from Openreach as BTw database will updated soon for two next doors as it was wrong speed estimated at 330/50 as it should be 231/35 not 330/50. And also good news they say my house should be 227/35 not 198/29. Openreach has apology for this incorrect wrong data.

They say the correct data for my property are below:

https://ibb.co/Rv8kWM8
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Jul-19 19:54:57
Print Post

How did you go about getting them to sort the database?

Sky Q Hub
My Broadband Ping
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(newbie) Thu 11-Jul-19 11:48:37
Print Post

Just got email back from Openreach as BTw database will updated soon for two next doors as it was wrong speed estimated at 330/50 as it should be 231/35 not 330/50. And also good news they say my house should be 227/35 not 198/29. Openreach has apology for this incorrect wrong data.

They say the correct data for my property are below:

https://ibb.co/Rv8kWM8

Openreach showed you the correct data via the BT Wholesale checker?

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(newbie) Thu 11-Jul-19 11:55:17
Print Post

I might start my own community fibre project to ask all neighbours in my area to join FTTP as possible, the more are interesting might leads Openreach considering to bring FTTP in my area if there is enough investiment from all neighbours. Am I allow to do this?

You're perfectly allowed to do it but don't be too surprised if the neighbours aren't interested. They have G.fast and Virgin Media available.

I'm not sure but do not think there's going to be any eligibility for any kinds of vouchers either so some cash is going to be needed.

The people on the outside of the cabinet's coverage are likely to get FTTP sooner than others in any event.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Aug-19 19:42:09
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

Cabinet 6 (Cuckoo Oak) has completed G.fast pod today by BP Petrol Park Lane TF7 5RQ

https://ibb.co/NK3y9nS

Edited by adslmax (Wed 07-Aug-19 19:43:45)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Aug-19 08:21:08
Print Post

Physical presence of the pod does not mean its live for orders though

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sun 11-Aug-19 18:21:31
Print Post

BTW, since the previous G.Fast thread was closed, I thought I'd post this here.

BT results for the quarter to 30 June 2019 were released on 2nd August.

Figures show there are 36,000 active G.Fast customers (up from 25,000 the previous quarter), with the number of G.Fast properties passed shown as 2.166 million (up from 2.020 million)

Active FTTP connections were 352,000 (up from 306,000), and FTTP properties passed 1.514 million (up from 1.247 million previous quarter, or 883,000 a year ago)

So if the last quarter's speed is maintained, the annualised growth rate for FTTP coverage is about 1.1m properties per year. We could expect maybe 2.0m-2.1m total by end of 2019.
Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Sun 11-Aug-19 18:45:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
BTW, since the previous G.Fast thread was closed, I thought I'd post this here.

BT results for the quarter to 30 June 2019 were released on 2nd August.

Figures show there are 36,000 active G.Fast customers (up from 25,000 the previous quarter), with the number of G.Fast properties passed shown as 2.166 million (up from 2.020 million)

Active FTTP connections were 352,000 (up from 306,000), and FTTP properties passed 1.514 million (up from 1.247 million previous quarter, or 883,000 a year ago)

So if the last quarter's speed is maintained, the annualised growth rate for FTTP coverage is about 1.1m properties per year. We could expect maybe 2.0m-2.1m total by end of 2019.

As reported on here: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8491-bt-group-fi...

The figures do not show the second quarter, which is important as there is much growth both on FTTP and g,fast since the end of March of this year, so it will be interesting to see the next set of figures when they are released.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Aug-19 22:20:05
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

Notes people need to be aware of

FTTP demand in areas of new build where FTTP is the only option is going to be very different to demand/take-up in the over build areas, either VDSL2 or cable already available.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Aug-19 22:22:02
Print Post

The 4 million passed target is at build rate of the last 6 months going to be missed by a few months, so if they ramp up build to 30k/wk as results said then should be on target

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-Aug-19 12:52:21
Print Post

Cabinet 6 has gone live now with post code TF7 5NB for G.fast
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to