General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User donciccio
(newbie) Wed 10-Jul-19 14:55:06
Print Post

Neither FTTP nor FTTC apparently available at new build

[link to this post]

I've recently moved into a new build block of 7 flats (building was finished in 2018), and trying to get set up with broadband.

BT have said there is only a basic copper connection available, and that's what I'm current set up with. It usable, can just about stream things, but its probably the slowest internet I've had in at least 10 years.

Doing the DSL checker on my line, I get the following:

Imgur link

(although my real download speed seems to be more like 11mbps)

However, searching around, it seems like we're surrounded by properties with FTTP. Below the checker on a property a few doors down, with the same postcode, connected to the same cabinet:

Imgur link

Before we moved in, I checked with BT what was available at the property for us to move our account. They did tell me that their systems showed it was just copper, but that it may have been the case that their information was slow to update, or that they'd only be able to tell once we were in and a line installed.

I asked the developer and their response was:

sounds like BT are using the wrong information. There is fibre connectivity in the building and other occupiers are using it. There is a BT chamber in the pavement on the corner [outside the building] which is then ducted to the junction box in the meter cupboard by the stairs. Your flat is pre-wired from there.

I've now spoken to most of the other flats and they don't have fibre.

Looking up the cabinet it seems nearly everyone else nearby has FTTP on Demand.

So what's likely to be going on here? Developer not being honest? Some sort of mistake in the system? Surely can't be the case that a building built in the past 2 years, in London right next to a cabinet can only get the slowest possible broadband? Or...?
Standard User brookheather
(member) Wed 10-Jul-19 15:09:02
Print Post

Re: Neither FTTP nor FTTC apparently available at new build

[re: donciccio] [link to this post]

So there is a duct installed but is there a fibre cable in the duct? Seems like the developer didn't pay OpenReach to actually install the fibe? If they did then it could be a records issue - you would need to contact OpenReach to check I guess? If none of the other flats have FTTP installed then it is likely that the actual fibre cable was never installed to the building.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh

Edited by brookheather (Wed 10-Jul-19 15:11:13)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Jul-19 15:11:35
Print Post

If there is an OpenReach (BT) copper phone line, the property likely doesn't have OpenReach FTTP.

What OpenReach install to new builds is entirely down to what the developer orders.
They do not (AFAIK) install both FTTP and copper to new builds.

Your cabinet doesn't have FTTC so what you have now may be the best you'll get over the OpenReach network.

Codelook actually shows the whole cabinet having FTTP.

As for the developers comments

sounds like BT are using the wrong information. There is fibre connectivity in the building and other occupiers are using it. There is a BT chamber in the pavement on the corner [outside the building] which is then ducted to the junction box in the meter cupboard by the stairs. Your flat is pre-wired from there

Never ever ever known OpenReach to do this.

Sounds more like how Hyperoptic install their network.

Edited by j0hn83 (Wed 10-Jul-19 15:16:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Jul-19 15:37:15
Print Post

Have you checked the address of the other flats in the block that are thought to have full fibre connectivity and/or spoken to residents.

NOTE FTTP on Demand is a pay £10,000 to get FTTP i.e. custom build option and not FTTP live you are talking about

Devil will be in the detail e.g. what exactly is in this junction box and what do you have pre-wired in the flat?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Jul-19 15:47:19
Print Post

As others have said, its rare for BT/Openreach to install both copper & fibre on a new build development. If FTTP/B is available, then most likely it will be through Hyperoptic. Check with your neighbour(s) to be sure.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 10-Jul-19 15:47:51)

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 10-Jul-19 16:00:06
Print Post

Hi

Just to add to the other sound advice.

The properties you have checked nearby that show WBC FTTP could be due to someone in the past placing an FTTP on Demand order, which also enables a few properties close by. It doesn't necessarily help you much that they have it.

In your case, it's not offering you FTTP on Demand as Openreach have stopped doing it to flats due to issues they often get trying to get permission to install the necessary cable, and anyway, it usually costs several thousand pounds or more to get Openreach to install it on your demand.

The only option is to search other providers and see if you have fibre from someone other than BT installed and/or ready to go.

Regards

Phil

Edited by PhilipD (Wed 10-Jul-19 16:01:51)

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Wed 10-Jul-19 16:15:23
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

FTTP feom Feb 2011 pre dates FTTPoD. Forest Hill was one one of the early native FTTP areas. Unlikely Open reach would have been back unless developer paid
Standard User donciccio
(newbie) Wed 10-Jul-19 16:19:43
Print Post

Thanks for the responses. To try and answer some of the other questions:

I don't know exactly what is installed. There is a cabinet on the street just outside the building. Something comes into the building from there, and there's a big box in a communal cupboard. There's then a smaller cupboard on each floor with the wires going into each flat. That's where the Openreach engineers who came to set up the flat mostly worked at. I did ask these engineers whether it was fibre or not, they weren't particularly helpful but it seemed like no, just copper.

Hyperoptic is not available.

Others in the building do not have fibre connectivity, they seem to have what I have.

Having checked some nearby addressed with BT, Zen, etc, it seems that they can definitely sign up for 300mbps, although yes it does seem these are all houses rather than flats.

I have followed up with the developer to ask what they meant by what they previously told me. I'm not expecting a positive answer as they've now sold all the flats and can wash their hands. It seems most likely that they just skimped on paying openreach what would have been necessary.

Your cabinet doesn't have FTTC so what you have now may be the best you'll get over the OpenReach network.

So is that really that? Stuck with 10 meg forever?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 10-Jul-19 16:24:16
Print Post

Pictures of those boxes could be useful ... along with any wires/fibres/ducts &c going to them. Host te images somewhere and provide links.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 10-Jul-19 16:44:10
Print Post

Hi

So is that really that? Stuck with 10 meg forever?

Not forever no, as the plan is to connect everyone up to FTTP eventually, this may happen sooner or later for you, just luck of draw when really. Although if you are at the end of the upgrade process it could be 10+ years away.

It wouldn't surprise me if the developer lied, with them knowing full well flats with poor connectivity might see offers reduced or you backing out completely from the purchase.

Other options could come sooner, either from other providers with fibre or you could look at 4G or 5G when it arrives.

Regards

Phil

Edited by PhilipD (Wed 10-Jul-19 16:47:41)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to