General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jsknight100
(newbie) Thu 18-Jul-19 21:38:09
Print Post

Loss of speed when not using master socket for broadband

[link to this post]

If a computer is not plugged into the main telephone socket. What is an acceptable delay in speed?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 18-Jul-19 23:24:52
Print Post

Re: Loss of speed when not using master socket for broadband

[re: jsknight100] [link to this post]

It's usually best to plug a computer into a modem or router. The acceptable loss from plugging it into a phone socket is 100%.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User radar
(regular) Fri 19-Jul-19 08:13:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It's usually best to plug a computer into a modem or router. The acceptable loss from plugging it into a phone socket is 100%.

LOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Jul-19 09:23:30
Print Post

If meaning plugging modem/router into master socket versus an extension, then what is acceptable is a decision only you can make.

The level of drop is not consistent as it depends a lot on local circumstances. If can range almost zero difference to a loss of more than half the speed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Jul-19 09:45:27
Print Post

More seriously than my flippant reply last night, there are several other things that are relevant.

First, I assume you are on FTTC rather than ADSLx. The loss on that by using an extension for the modem/router depends on many factors, as MrSaffron says.

For instance, whether the computer is connected to an ethernet socket on the router or wirelessly. We could also do with knowing if you are talking about the connection speed, (sync or rate), or speed test/download speeds. Plus the expected and actual speeds.

Other questions follow from the answers to those.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Fri 19-Jul-19 10:03:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Also depends on how your extension wiring is connected.

In more modern master sockets with integrated filters, there are two separate extension points: one for phones, and one for xDSL. In this case, you definitely need to run separate data extension cabling to the xDSL connector. It probably won't work at all if you plug the router into a (filtered) phone extension.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Jul-19 10:19:10
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

No “probably” about it. The whole purpose of all such filters is to remove the broadband signal frequencies in both directions from the phone socket.

But this is way off topic too early in the thread.

Print Thread

Jump to