General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Panda666uk
(newbie) Sat 20-Jul-19 16:45:42
Print Post

G.Fast + Distance = Speed !

[link to this post]

Hi, i'm running two FTTC Lines into a load balancer and get good speeds at the moment (132/37), however I see G.fast has been activated, so my question is how accurate are the speeds on the wholesale checker ? i ask cause it looks like i can get get good speeds but read so much about FTTC being better than G.fast over 300m's away from the node and i'm about 600m from my Cab. See the below screenshot. Thanks

https://ibb.co/99qhSKF
Standard User AK0086
(newbie) Sat 20-Jul-19 16:58:16
Print Post

Re: G.Fast + Distance = Speed !

[re: Panda666uk] [link to this post]

My g.fast estimates on the checker were similar to those in your screenshot, and I was getting 67/19 on VDSL. In reality, the line wouldn't even sync with g.fast. My line is about 330m to the cabinet according to the Openreach engineer that spent several hours here trying to make it work.

So I wouldn't get too excited by the prospect of g.fast. Even if you can get 120 down, you'll probably only get 10 up - i.e. it will be slower not faster.

In general, I wouldn't read too much into the g.fast estimates on there. VDSL estimates seem to be pretty reasonable, so maybe over the next couple of years the g.fast estimates will become more realistic too.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Jul-19 17:47:16
Print Post

I'd say those figures are inconsistent with being 600m from the cabinet.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 79999/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 20-Jul-19 18:18:01
Print Post

Either the checker is seriously wrong or your cabinet is a LOT closer than 600m and looking at layout of premises on cabinet I'd go with the later

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Panda666uk
(newbie) Sat 20-Jul-19 19:54:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

I live on a main road and the cabinet is straight line at the bottom of my road which isn't 600m walking but I only said about that distance cause I got a quote for FTTPoD in January and they said "Openreach estimate that the distance to the fibre aggregation node serving your premises is 600 - 799m" But wasn't paying £10,500 + VAT for it lol.

So that's why I was asking cause G.Fast Cab was installed last month and went live on the checker this last week and the FTTC readings are pretty close to my sync speed so wondered if the G.Fast ones would be the same as well even tho according to the above i'm over 600m ish away from it. Still got 12 months contract on both my lines still but always looking for more speed if I can get it lol. My FTTC Lines stats are attached as well.

https://ibb.co/5kFvBVJ

Thanks Andy.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Jul-19 20:11:28
Print Post

The distance to the fibre aggregation node is not necessarily the distance to your cabinet. A fibre aggregation node commonly serves several FTTC cabinets and may or may not be near to one of them.
Standard User Panda666uk
(newbie) Sat 20-Jul-19 20:41:44
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Hi, mines in the pathway about 3-5 metres from the cab , i know cause i was on ADSL for 10 years and followed the FTTC Process week by week lol. Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 20-Jul-19 20:49:56
Print Post

600m from the aggregation node but a lot closer to your cabinet.

So looks like you will get the speeds suggested rather than this being a checker error

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Panda666uk
(newbie) Sat 20-Jul-19 21:20:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Oooo Ok, maybe worth a punt then lol. Thanks Mr Saffron. Also started following the "Any G.fast / Ultrafast users here? " post as well !. Thanks
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Jul-19 21:23:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Panda666uk:
Hi, mines in the pathway about 3-5 metres from the cab , i know cause i was on ADSL for 10 years and followed the FTTC Process week by week lol. Thanks

If your fibre aggregation node really is <5m away from your FTTC cabinet (uncommon but not impossible) then your FTTPoD desktop quote is/was incorrect and you would probably have been charged considerably less than £10k if you went ahead & got a survey done to get actual build costs.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 20-Jul-19 21:25:49)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to