General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(committed) Sun 04-Aug-19 13:29:05
Print Post

PC lost 2/3 of its speed but gets full speed in safe mode.

[link to this post]

Hi,

I tested my speed (PC connected by Ethernet cable) a couple of days ago and noticed it had dropped to 20 Mbps (i usually get 60+) so having searched online i found it could be a conflict, a few threads pointed to AMD quick stream so i uninstalled it and it made no difference, i then tried safe mode and could not use it as i couldn't enter my password so searched again and found this excellent guide which helped me sort that problem (anyone having the same problem see link below) in safe mode i got my usual 60+ Mbps (my modem speed is 72 Mbps) so i rebooted and ran the tests again and it was back to 20 Mbps again, i assume this rules out a fault with the network card, cable and modem.
I also tried my laptop on the same Ethernet cable and that gave the full 60 Mbps.

I decided as the PC is a few years old i would take it back to factory settings and hope it would fix the problem which as you can see above it hasn't, has anyone any idea what can be causing this or how i can try to find a solution, thanks in advance.

Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10 - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2969-enable-disa...

Edit to add link.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sun 04-Aug-19 13:31:22)

Standard User Jake4
(newbie) Sun 04-Aug-19 14:24:11
Print Post

Re: PC lost 2/3 of its speed but gets full speed in safe mod

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

Wrong Section
(committed) Sun 04-Aug-19 15:06:54
Print Post

[re: Jake4] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jake4:
Wrong Section

Thanks for your help!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kommando
(newbie) Sun 04-Aug-19 16:02:42
Print Post

The latest version of Win10 allows your PC to share its connection as a wifi hotspot, by turning it off I got back the 90% of download speeds I had lost. Even if your PC does not have Wifi turn it off.
(committed) Sun 04-Aug-19 16:14:26
Print Post

[re: kommando] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kommando:
The latest version of Win10 allows your PC to share its connection as a wifi hotspot, by turning it off I got back the 90% of download speeds I had lost. Even if your PC does not have Wifi turn it off.

Thanks could you tell me where that setting is?
Standard User kommando
(newbie) Sun 04-Aug-19 16:19:08
Print Post

PC settings

Network & Internet

and then third from bottom

WiFi hotspot

The PC it worked on does not have Wifi, the facility was automatically enabled on upgrade and must assign bandwidth to it even when not used.
Standard User busterboy
(member) Sun 04-Aug-19 16:21:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:

Thanks could you tell me where that setting is?

Bottom right of you're screen, Network and Internet settings.

BTBroadband
(committed) Sun 04-Aug-19 17:06:59
Print Post

PC settings

Network & Internet

and then third from bottom

WiFi hotspot

The PC it worked on does not have Wifi, the facility was automatically enabled on upgrade and must assign bandwidth to it even when not used.

There is no Wi-Fi listed see below -

https://i.postimg.cc/XJFbJhz0/jjjjjjj.jpg
Standard User kommando
(newbie) Sun 04-Aug-19 18:09:33
Print Post

If its not there then it can't be the problem, you need to look elsewhere for your issue and if you post on the Windows part of the forum then more people will see the issue.

If you can find a list of all the functions turned off in safe mode then by painstakingly turning them off one at a time will tell you which one is the issue. Took 5 days to find the hot spot setting was the issue for me.
(committed) Sun 04-Aug-19 18:16:10
Print Post

If its not there then it can't be the problem, you need to look elsewhere for your issue and if you post on the Windows part of the forum then more people will see the issue.

If you can find a list of all the functions turned off in safe mode then by painstakingly turning them off one at a time will tell you which one is the issue. Took 5 days to find the hot spot setting was the issue for me.

Thanks, i have been messing about with this for two days and am going to throw the towel in and buy a USB 2.0 to RJ45 LAN Ethernet Network Adaptor and see if that sorts it they are only £3 on ebay so its worth the gamble.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to