General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrijones
(learned) Fri 09-Aug-19 12:57:39
Print Post

Some houses can have FTTP others can't. OR Database error?

[link to this post]

Good afternoon,

I know some people have had luck in the past after asking MrSaffron to check the Openreach Database, but I thought I'd post here first rather than emailing direct.

The situation is that a number of houses are fed from the same telephone pole, these premises are across 2 or 3 different postcodes and the type of service available varies from house to house.

The dslchecker.bt.com site shows that some of them are able to order FTTP, some even have an active service, some are in FTTP waiters status whilst others are only able to get ADSL.

Is this something that you could look into for me MrSaffron?

If someone else, wants to have a look in the meantime, here's a link to google maps for the pole and a couple of postcodes, SY24 5EY, SY24 5ET.

Thanks
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Aug-19 13:58:01
Print Post

Re: Some houses can have FTTP others can't. OR Database erro

[re: mrijones] [link to this post]

Usually the FTTP waiters is because there no free ports on the Distribution Point (DP) at the pole top.

OpenReach no longer provide DP numbers on their website.
They are also hidden from an advanced BTWholesale checker now.

Too many homes served by each postcode and zero knowledge of the area means I found it difficult to work out what addresses are served by said telegraph pole.

All I can see is that the differences between those show FTTP available (up to 330Mb) and those that show an FTTP waiters list (up to 1000Mb) are that they have a different L2SID.

I've no idea what an L2SID is but throw a guess it's a Layer 2 Switch ID which would explain the discrepancy between some showing 330Mb and others 1000Mb.
The L2S needs 10Gb ports before 1000Mb shows available.

As to how lines on a single pole can be connected to a different L2S I've no idea. Lack of local knowledge means I'm not even sure the addresses I'm looking up are even on the same pole.

Why don't places just have doors numbers instead of fancy names.
I feel sorry for the local postie.

Edited by j0hn83 (Fri 09-Aug-19 14:00:08)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Aug-19 14:47:14
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
OpenReach no longer provide DP numbers on their website.
They are also hidden from an advanced BTWholesale checker now.

Too many homes served by each postcode and zero knowledge of the area means I found it difficult to work out what addresses are served by said telegraph pole.

Yeah I miss the DP numbers, I can see a lot of information is now removed, which does make sense due to the page never displayed that information, so why return it.
Here is what is returned if you know how to get it for my address (removed personal info):
{
    "status": {
        "successful": true,
        "description": "single"
    },
    "content": [
        {
            "fttp": "available",
            "gfast": "not in scope",
            "fttc": "available",
            "nadkey": "Axxxxxxxxxxx",
            "uprn": "",
            "name": "Ilford Central",
            "cabinetNumber": "24",
            "speed": "330",
            "sauid": "LNILC",
            "lat": "xx.xxxxxx",
            "lng": "xx.xxxxxx",
            "address": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",
            "premisesType": "Single Dwelling Unit Residential",
            "postcode": "xxxxxx"
        }
    ]
}

As you can see there is the Cabinet Number, along with what type you can get (i.e. FTTP and FTTC), it displays the faster speed out of the available types.
The Unique Property Reference Number (UPRN) is blank for me, but I can get that from the BTW Checker if needed, it also provides the National Address Database (NAD) key, the District key if needed is normal the first 2 characters from the SAUID) so in my case its "LN".

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Aug-19 15:29:23
Print Post

If it is showing waiters for WBC FTTP then suggests a capacity issue and question that the retailer should ask is what is the timescale for resolution.

Can attempt to ask, but very few people chasing of late for this sort of thing.

For those without access to FTTP at all, it may be distance of fibre drop wire or needs to cross road and would be too low, or some other issue or just a records issue.

My bet is records as the build rush did leave more mistakes than elsewhere when it comes to Wales.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mrijones
(learned) Fri 09-Aug-19 19:12:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you all for your replies.

I found a link to the openreach formwize site and asked them about the availability issues.

We'll see what sort of response I get.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Aug-19 19:17:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by mrijones:

I found a link to the openreach formwize site and asked them about the availability issues.

Or you could try sending them a DM on Twitter, I have spoken to them loads of times and they have always responded.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Fri 09-Aug-19 19:35:57
Print Post

mrijones

There are several poles involved, some subsidiary from the one you pictured. Depending on which have the pole top fibre DP fitted will define which premises have FTTP available, or waiters if the existing Fibre DP is full and which L2 switch they are connected too.

Each Fibre DP is normally able to cater for 8 or 12 customers so the pole shown has quite a few more than this and will need a 2nd or 3rd Fibre DP if they are all fed from it, rather than the subsidiary poles.

The pole is in an interesting position with the potential for so many Postcodes served from it so also has a large potential for database mistakes
Standard User mrijones
(learned) Fri 09-Aug-19 19:37:19
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
In reply to a post by mrijones:

Or you could try sending them a DM on Twitter, I have spoken to them loads of times and they have always responded.

Paul

Thanks Paul, never thought of that, I'll give it a go.
Cheers
Standard User mrijones
(learned) Fri 09-Aug-19 19:48:30
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
mrijones

There are several poles involved, some subsidiary from the one you pictured. Depending on which have the pole top fibre DP fitted will define which premises have FTTP available, or waiters if the existing Fibre DP is full and which L2 switch they are connected too.

Each Fibre DP is normally able to cater for 8 or 12 customers so the pole shown has quite a few more than this and will need a 2nd or 3rd Fibre DP if they are all fed from it, rather than the subsidiary poles.

The pole is in an interesting position with the potential for so many Postcodes served from it so also has a large potential for database mistakes

Hi kitkat,
The pole next to the green is where the "black bottle" is fitted. A couple of the houses nearest to this pole have had their overhead fibre link run in parallel to their original copper feed.
There's a new underground chamber, well new compared to the streetview image, and the fibre connectivety bits, excuse the technical jargon smile, are in there. Something similar to that shown here. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4440-openreach-g...

As MrSaffron said, due to a lot of work left unfinished when Superfast Wales sort of came to an end, there is a lot of FTTP bits and pieces hanging around not connected to anything, and most likely database errors due to jobs looking like they were abandoned when the funding ended.

Although, saying that, the houses that have FTTP now have only been activated during 2019, so Openreach are still making use and slowly extending on what they'd put in before the extra Superfast Cymru funding ended.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Sat 10-Aug-19 13:40:03
Print Post

mrijones

The black bottle is the manifold, if more than 12 properties have ordered FTTP the rest from that DP will now show as waiters until a new Manifold is provided.

I suspect some of the other poles have not had their manifolds either provided or connected up which is why properties served via them show as not available.

Hopefully the Assembly and OR will sort out completing the job for the unfinished work, but I have little confidence in Mark Drakeford to do anything apart from blame Westminster (& Brexit) and they are all on Long summer breaks until late September so no quick movement will happen.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to