General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chrisdev
(newbie) Mon 19-Aug-19 12:15:44
Print Post

From Hero to Zero!

[link to this post]

So like many others I've been waiting impatiently for FTTP to arrive on our street. It's been reported as "in scope" for 2 years, and work looks almost complete (OH cables in place, track nodes, joints, new ducting and a CBT). So imagine my surprise when both the Openreach and Digital Scotland trackers, both changed to "Not in Scope" overnight. It says "We don't have any plans to upgrade your area yet" which is not true, because they evidently DO (did) have plans! There are even roadworks planned to start this week.

Has anyone seen this change of heart by Openreach so far down the deployment path and can anyone offer any inside view of what might be happening? Postcode is TD14 5

Thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Aug-19 12:21:45
Print Post

Re: From Hero to Zero!

[re: chrisdev] [link to this post]

This vanishing was sometimes a pattern just before checkers actually said it was live, so don't give up just yet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chrisdev
(newbie) Mon 19-Aug-19 12:27:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew, trying not to get my hopes up too much!

Thing is, roadworksscotland.org does still show OR work happening this week on the route to our agg node, and traffic lights were installed last week, so I assumed progress was being made still. Reading some of the other threads this morning it seems half deployed solutions are not unheard of, but ours is BDUK funded one, so should have a deadline (or 2, or 3) smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Mon 19-Aug-19 13:24:27
Print Post

Similar happened to me when on EO line and waiting on FTTC, all was looking good, loads of Openreach vans around, then they seemed finished and it changed to "not in scope" on Digital Scotland and Openreach checker....I was gutted, few days later I got BT Infinity flyers through my letterbox saying it was now in my area...Yippee!
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Aug-19 15:03:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
This vanishing was sometimes a pattern just before checkers actually said it was live, so don't give up just yet.

Ahh that partially explains why ours has gone back to about 2 properties getting fttp despite Hampshire CC saying ours is about start work.
Standard User chrisdev
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-19 17:42:41
Print Post

So it turns out it was a "map error" which has been corrected rather than a sign of the imminent go-live frown

Plus now I'm getting conflicting go-live dates ranging from this month (OR partnership team) to December 2020 (OR twitter team) - Clear as mud!
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Aug-19 21:57:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrisdev:
Plus now I'm getting conflicting go-live dates ranging from this month (OR partnership team) to December 2020 (OR twitter team) - Clear as mud!

I had the same issue of sorts; Hampshire BB team said this year, then OR twitter team said July 2020. Then about 3 weeks ago the OR website said my post code wasn't in-scope anymore!. Spoke to Hampshire BB they said OR was wrong, and work should be starting soon or it already has... Anyway I checked again with OR which took 3 emails from them and today they said by December this year.

And the OR website is now saying FTTP is coming soon. All of which has made me look like a complete idiot on here frown
Standard User chrisdev
(newbie) Thu 22-Aug-19 10:37:44
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

I had the same issue of sorts; Hampshire BB team said this year, then OR twitter team said July 2020. Then about 3 weeks ago the OR website said my post code wasn't in-scope anymore!. Spoke to Hampshire BB they said OR was wrong, and work should be starting soon or it already has... Anyway I checked again with OR which took 3 emails from them and today they said by December this year.

And the OR website is now saying FTTP is coming soon. All of which has made me look like a complete idiot on here frown

Don't worry, I think everyone understands the lack of reliable timelines coming from OR! Whether it's Digital Scotland or Hampshire BB, none of them seem to have a complete grip of progress or completion. I've been given dates for 3 years that have come and gone and so I've stopped pinning my hopes on any dates I'm given. What I don't understand is how Digital Scotland, HBB or any of the others are not being held accountable for spending public money when they themselves appear to have no control over when their suppliers (OR) actually deliver. If indeed DS or HBB actually have project managers, it must be the most frustrating job!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Aug-19 10:44:42
Print Post

The oddest part is that in some areas there is a lot more information on time scales and what has recently gone live, so some councils find a way to work with BT/Openreach and others don't.

The costs of running the council side of things suspect has meant some councils have pruned things back and any social media team left is doing this along with a myriad of other things. Another factor was some of the abuse you could see in public social media

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Aug-19 11:12:36
Print Post

The oddest part is that in some areas there is a lot more information on time scales and what has recently gone live, so some councils find a way to work with BT/Openreach and others don't.

Take Oxfordshire, they've (or are) going to house level with Hampshire CC, its a horrid map, which when you zoom into it disappears and you are told to take the mapping as a guide only.

The costs of running the council side of things suspect has meant some councils have pruned things back and any social media team left is doing this along with a myriad of other things. Another factor was some of the abuse you could see in public social media

That has been evident with Hampshire, the team at one stage wasn't updating things for months. Now they are being more transparent again. The team have been fab to me overall but nonetheless frustrating at times.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to