General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chrisdev
(newbie) Tue 03-Sep-19 10:18:37
Print Post

Re: From Hero to Zero!

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
First instance should be notes passed by retailer onto Openreach and they come back out to check it.

But I'm not able to order any FTTP service yet, so I have no formal route into OR. The reason I know there are wayleave issues is because I chatted with the engineer signing-off the FTTP structure before it went live in the checker yesterday.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 03-Sep-19 11:02:21
Print Post

It would seem to me that if Openreach are simply going to give up at the first hurdle without informing anyone about potential wayleave issues then a full FTTP rollout is going to leave a lot of properties not connected.

Take this case for example. Three houses are left out because you (possibly incorrectly assume) you need to trench across a drive. Did anyone from Openreach ask the owner of the drive if they objected to a trench being put in? By all accounts these properties have rather poor broadband, and even if you have no requirement for an endgame broadband install you would have to be pretty dense to realize that a poor broadband connection will have a significant impact on the resale value of your property. Also refusing the trench would likely make you very unpopular with your neighbours.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Sep-19 11:39:29
Print Post

[re: chrisdev] [link to this post]

Is the ISP you intend to order FTTP from the same as the one providing your service now?

If yes, then they should take up the case on your behalf

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chrisdev
(newbie) Tue 03-Sep-19 12:03:07
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
It would seem to me that if Openreach are simply going to give up at the first hurdle without informing anyone about potential wayleave issues then a full FTTP rollout is going to leave a lot of properties not connected.

Take this case for example. Three houses are left out because you (possibly incorrectly assume) you need to trench across a drive. Did anyone from Openreach ask the owner of the drive if they objected to a trench being put in?

Completely agree - There was no involvement from us as residents about this - and what is most frustrating is that we are all being told fibre is "on the way" for years, yet I find out that's not the case from a chance encounter with an engineer, the day before all the other houses go live on the checker.
Standard User chrisdev
(newbie) Tue 03-Sep-19 12:05:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Is the ISP you intend to order FTTP from the same as the one providing your service now?

If yes, then they should take up the case on your behalf

Yes, It would be (A&A) but are you sure they would get involved when dslchecker says nothing about FTTP for my house? I'm effectively blocked from ordering until computer says "yes" ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Sep-19 12:36:58
Print Post

As its A&A then yes, they almost seem to relish fixing things that are a bit unusual.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Sep-19 12:37:05
Print Post

it may be worth contacting openreach directly via

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/when-to-g...

You might have to talk to several openreach staff till you get the right person
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 03-Sep-19 13:07:12
Print Post

The alternative might be to get an FTTPoD quote and pay up the £250. Presumably once they find the duct is in place and all the other FTTP stuff is in place the quote will be very cheap...
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Sep-19 13:22:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrisdev:
I caught an OR chap poking around today and it turns out he was there to "sign-off" before go-live, except that our house and 3 others have been classed as having wayleave issues and so we won't be going live. The other 3 houses closest to the DP with CBT have now gone live on dslchecker, but not us frown

I would take what the Openreach bod on the ground told you with a pinch of salt as there may also be other issues (eg cost) which he might not be aware of. You would really need to speak to someone in Openreach higher up the chain (Planning Dept?) to get the full picture. Getting Andrews & Arnold involved might be your best chance as they have a reputation (well deserved imo) of getting to the bottom of things. As a last resort you may want to get a firm CFP quote with your neighbours (free unlike FTTPoD) and that will shed further light on any potential issues. Obviously if they give you a firm CFP quote (after a site survey) then the issue may not have been wayleave(s) after all, it may just have been down to cost.

Good luck! smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User chrisdev
(newbie) Tue 03-Sep-19 19:16:49
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thank you for all your advice and suggestions.

I've contacted A&A, but they say they are not able to help since the service isn't available and any order would be rejected.

I'll let you know how I get on with the other routes! I guess there's always the CEO email wink

Chris
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to