General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Sep-19 19:45:17
Print Post

Re: From Hero to Zero!

[re: chrisdev] [link to this post]

In that case probably worth going the CFP route, so that you can try to get an Openreach Surveyor on site and discuss with him any potential issues in person. He/she is likely to know far more than the previous person you met on the ground. Otherwise you might find it difficult to speak to the right people /dept at Openreach.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Sep-19 22:30:51
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I'd agree but also for the op, to ask their neighbours if needed if they want faster BB via fttp.
Standard User chrisdev
(newbie) Tue 10-Sep-19 14:09:13
Print Post

[re: Taras] [link to this post]

A quick update in case anyone is interested!

I pursued a case through my ISP (A&A) who had success in getting OR to change the Wholesale checker such that my house now shows as being able to order WBC FTTP, I'd call that a result and it only took a week! I've since placed an order and got an installation date of the 23rd. I'm still dubious about whether the install will succeed, but at least it gets the ball rolling if further work needs completing.

I have one more question too. Since my closest (only) CBT is at the top of a pole, is it common for the fibre tail to be connected to the CBT, then run down the pole and underground, or does a CBT at the top of a pole always serve properties overhead?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User max360
(regular) Tue 10-Sep-19 15:16:00
Print Post

The overhead (OH) CBT feed would usually serve the existing OH premises. If your line is underground (UG) then it would be served from the UG CBT feed, which is usually located in the manhole cover.

You can check this by going to: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com

ISP: BT - FTTP 330Mb/50Mb
ISP: PlusNet - FTTC - 80Mb/20Mb

Birmingham Fibre First Program: FTTP - BT Ultra fast fibre 2 plus package - 330Mb down 50Mb up.

Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 24 - Funded Privately (Community Partnership).
Standard User threelegs
(regular) Tue 10-Sep-19 16:03:57
Print Post

[re: max360] [link to this post]

just to chuck my tuppence worth in to the pot. I have ftth and the manifold is on the pole in the garden and the fibre comes to the house u/g (in a duct I put in) otherwise it would have been o/h . the copper comes u/g but is not in a duct just buried direct.
Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 10-Sep-19 17:23:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrisdev:
I have one more question too. Since my closest (only) CBT is at the top of a pole, is it common for the fibre tail to be connected to the CBT, then run down the pole and underground, or does a CBT at the top of a pole always serve properties overhead?
I asked the following question recently, although not exactly the same scenario its response maybe helpful if there are no CBT's in manholes near your property.
In reply to a post by dect:
Does anyone know what happens when the route between the CBT and the property means the connectorised fibre cable has to go overhead between poles before then going underground via ducting to the property? the reason I ask is I thought there were different connectorised fibre cables for overhead and ducting so what one would they use?
Got the following reply from Zarjaz who is a extremely reliable and helpful contributor on this forum.
In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
They’d use an OH kit all the way. The overhead stuff has steel strengthening also.

Have done a couple of this sort of scenario. Starts o/h then duct to the premises. Or the other way round. Wall mounted CBT, through duct, up the stick, four spans then in.
Hope this helps.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Sep-19 17:24:40
Print Post

[re: max360] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by max360:
The overhead (OH) CBT feed would usually serve the existing OH premises. If your line is underground (UG) then it would be served from the UG CBT feed, which is usually located in the manhole cover.

You can check this by going to: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com

This is wholly wrong.

Standard User chrisdev
(newbie) Tue 10-Sep-19 18:10:14
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Thanks dect, that is helpful, and also Zarjaz for confirming. The only CBT we have is on a pole, so hope it'll run from there UG to the house.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Sep-19 18:20:17
Print Post

There’s a good chance of a ‘pre-visit’ which will check for light on the quoted CBT port, make an estimate of length of kit required, and will (hopefully) rope the ducted section in readiness .... might even fit the connectorised kit and leave a coil at the house end.

Standard User max360
(regular) Tue 10-Sep-19 20:19:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Where I live, that was the case. My FTTP line feed is OH. House next door is fed from UG feed.

ISP: BT - FTTP 330Mb/50Mb
ISP: PlusNet - FTTC - 80Mb/20Mb

Birmingham Fibre First Program: FTTP - BT Ultra fast fibre 2 plus package - 330Mb down 50Mb up.

Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 24 - Funded Privately (Community Partnership).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to