General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Tue 27-Aug-19 15:07:04
Print Post

FTTP - Help needed to check if upgrade is coming to us

[link to this post]

HI,
I have moved to Orpington (Bromley) last Nov only to find out that the houses in my row are being served with less than 2M down ADSL. No FTTC/FTTP. This was a shocker coming from 100M hyperoptic ebabled London apartment. Thanks to this forum, i got Three UK Unlimited data SIM and put it in the external 4G Mikrotik router. I now get around 15M down, which I can live with for some time.
I had got my neighbours together to have FTTP via Community Fibre. Six months later getting every one ready and firm quotes, Just before going ahead with the order I checked the new Openreach Fibre Checker and to my surprise I get the following result - "Better broadband is coming - FTTP. Technology that supports speeds up to 1Gbps Faster and more reliable fibre is coming to your area soon. FTTP is our fastest technology, but your exact speed will depend on which broadband provider and package you choose. "
I explained this to Openreach Community Fibre Manager and they told that if FTTP is coming then its better to go with that without cost, but they didnt give any timelines. My order was then suspended.

Now since around 2 months I get to see the same result, but dont know when FTTP is coming.to me and neighbours.
If someone can somehow check and give any useful info, I will be really grateful.
My postcode is BR5 1SH and the 18 houses in the row are served from cabinet 6.

All other houses in the area are served from different cabinet and they have FTTC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Aug-19 15:53:17
Print Post

Re: FTTP - Help needed to check if upgrade is coming to us

[re: kams19] [link to this post]

Getting mixed results using the Openreach checker, some it does not know about you and others suggests FTTP is on the way.

Checking another postcode nearby that is EO but has a Virgin Media option, no FTTP on the way shows up.

My concern in your case is that your Community Fibre pre-order got their checker flipped to showing the FTTP was on the way, so if order is now suspended nothing will happen, i.e. was showing up only because of the CFP progressing.

Ball should be thrown back to the CFP Manager to find out exactly what is going on i.e. is this commercial roll-out (Orpington is not on the Fibre First list) or some other scheme.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Tue 27-Aug-19 17:06:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew for looking up. I had specifically asked The CF Manager if the change in fibre checker is due to the fact that we have a confirmed quote, but they had checked internally and said "No, the info on the fibre checker is latest and accurate. And if it says that FTTP is coming then it will come, but no time frames"
Hence after waiting for couple of months I said I will ask here to see if I get any more info now..

I will send out an email to them again to check if FTTP is commercially rolling out for our area.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 27-Aug-19 17:28:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by kams19:
Thanks Andrew for looking up. I had specifically asked The CF Manager if the change in fibre checker is due to the fact that we have a confirmed quote, but they had checked internally and said "No, the info on the fibre checker is latest and accurate. And if it says that FTTP is coming then it will come, but no time frames"
Hence after waiting for couple of months I said I will ask here to see if I get any more info now..

I will send out an email to them again to check if FTTP is commercially rolling out for our area.
Is it worth checking with your local BDUK team to see if its being funded by them.
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Wed 28-Aug-19 12:00:43
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

how do i contact BDUK team?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Aug-19 12:23:35
Print Post

Orpington is in the London Borough of Bromley and has no BDUK team, Kent would be the closest but wrong council so they won't do anything.

Have looked at 15 other slow postcodes and only the ones in Kent show as an upgrade on the way (to FTTC) BR6 7QA nothing else showing with FTTP planned.

Hence the concerns. If your contact is insistent that they are doing you as FTTP so no need for community scheme and you want me to check then can chase via PR team with notes that have concerns that wires may be crossed somewhere in the system. Would need you to email me ([email protected]) and confirm the addresses the project was meant to cover.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kams19
(newbie) Wed 28-Aug-19 15:20:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Much appreciated Andrew. I will send out an email to you and also share the email where the OR account manager mentioned about the FTTP being launched and CF order being cancelled.

Thanks again.
Standard User burble
(member) Wed 28-Aug-19 15:51:23
Print Post

To give you some idea of how little OR and BDUK know what they are doing.
GF spoke to a chap who was resting his clipboard on our bin, he said he was surveying for fibre, unfortunately she never asked if it was FTTPoD or fibre being laid to all houses.
Contacted BDUK team, they had no idea and they contacted OR who also didn't know of any work.
Team came throu putting in new ducts, still BDUK or OR knew nothing.
Spoke to local OR chap who was working in chamber, he said fibre was coming, but hadn't seen it on work schedule(? )
Team put fibre in ducts, still no idea. I was told no fibre being laid, so I had to send photo's showing coils of fibre at base of pole, and still no idea.
Fibre fitted to pole, still no idea.
I then contacted the 'old' BDUK team leader and she found out the fibre was laid under a BDUK contract, and she had to inform present team of this.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Aug-19 19:18:27
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

Your experience, is hopefully a rarity, but I think it does vary between counties and teams
Standard User MaryHinge
(member) Thu 13-Feb-20 20:22:42
Print Post

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but the London Borough of Bromley area was recently confirmed as in-scope for fibre first.

The FTTP deployment in the Orpington Exchange area is supposedly due to start in the next 3 months, and this seems to includes the likes of Farnborough, Chelsfield, the Crays, parts of Petts Wood etc, even up towards Cudham where speeds are particularly low currently.

Nothing on roadworks as yet, but there has been some limited FTTP deployment recently, e.g. The Hillside Chelsfield off the A21 is ready to order & the Well Hill area is currently in build.

All subject to change of course but looking promising.
  Print Thread

Jump to