General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Swac3
(newbie) Thu 05-Sep-19 17:50:33
Print Post

Rural deployments by OR

[link to this post]

How do OR handle sparse rural deployments where you have properties spread out along rural back roads with no real cluster?

Ive seen the CBTs on poles but these i assume are run out from some other splitter rather than right back to the AG node.

From a non UK installer they're talking about 1:2 splitters to Tap off the fibre to properties as theyre passed but this would either require a very accurate survey and bespoke lengths ordering or an awful lot of fibre splicing.

For example my road has 17 or so houses along the route, all old farms with driveways approx 500 to 700 metres apart .

Gary
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Sep-19 18:10:53
Print Post

Re: Rural deployments by OR

[re: Swac3] [link to this post]

Openreach GPON split is 32

Usually 1 manifold and 1 splitter and the agg node, various lengths of pre-made connectorised fibre are available, and the manifolds come in various port sizes

So in terms of accurate length, the survey for the manifold install needs to be reasonably accurate but plenty of scope for handling a few metres of wrong measurement.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 05-Sep-19 18:45:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think the question is: if you have one splitter, then 17 properties in a straight line each 500 metres apart, how would it be pre-cabled?

For example: would there be 17 separate CBTs, each one with a separate cable back to the splitter? Or something else?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Swac3
(newbie) Thu 05-Sep-19 19:53:04
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Yes, exactly that.

The CBT is basically a dead end, yes ? It would serve very few properties, Theres no passthrough. final drop connections to a CBT are relatively short range arent they ?

So either you run multiple CBT each with increasing length back to the splitter or you have to have multiple splitters spaced along the route each feeding the next set of CBTs, And if thats the case is the fibre daisy chained from one splitter to the next with usable strands reducing each time or would each splitter run back to the AG.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Sep-19 20:22:13
Print Post

Openreach can still blow fibre to properties where necessary, so for properties in rural areas which might be 100s of metres away from the final DP/node, they may decide to blow fibre rather than use connectorised cabling. AFAIK the max length of connectorised cable is 160m though it can go up to 300-400m in special cases.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Thu 05-Sep-19 20:28:25
Print Post

There are quite a few rural deployments in Wales ( and Cornwall) that meet this criteria.

There maybe someone from these areas that can answer your question.

I suspect from some I have seen that each CBT may only serve 1 or 2 properties and there will be many CBTs to each splitter.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Sep-19 22:00:53
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Nah, there’s 360m kits, on special order.

And if you need a CBT right out in the sticks , then you run track node to track node.

Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 05-Sep-19 22:29:23
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Nah, there’s 360m kits, on special order.

And if you need a CBT right out in the sticks , then you run track node to track node.
I agree

The only thing I am surprised with is that the smallest CBT is 4 port, I think there would be good reason to have 1 and 2 port CBT's for more isolated deployments where 4 ports is overkill.

Edited by dect (Thu 05-Sep-19 22:29:55)

Standard User Swac3
(newbie) Thu 05-Sep-19 23:30:31
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Okies, thanks all.

Just trying to properly understand what the current way of doing the 'proper' rural runs is.

There's three houses fed by copper off the pole on the B road that we live off, one close maybe 75m, but ours is 620m from that pole all on overhead, similar length as the 3rd but in the opposite direction.
Standard User dect
(committed) Fri 06-Sep-19 08:43:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by Swac3:
There's three houses fed by copper off the pole on the B road that we live off, one close maybe 75m, but ours is 620m from that pole all on overhead, similar length as the 3rd but in the opposite direction.
So how does the copper currently get from that pole to your property? is it via further poles or ducting or buried directly in the ground?

Edit: I have reread your post again and if their are further poles your CBT could be fitted on a pole nearer to you if the max length of a connectorised fibre cables is reached, I also believe I have read on here where someones installation they spliced two connectorised cables together (cutting the second connector off) to extend the reach. but not every installation is the same.

Edited by dect (Fri 06-Sep-19 08:52:48)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to