General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nellisere
(newbie) Mon 09-Sep-19 19:31:03
Print Post

FTTP New House

[link to this post]

Hi Guys, I am soon moving into a new build, around 2 years old that only has FTTP available, no copper services. There is an ONT present in the property but I was not able to see the lights on it. I am looking into who to go to for broadband services and so far BT seem to be the cheapest. I am going to be living on my own with a laptop, iPhone and smart TV so 40/10 should be plenty. Anyone know of any other companies offering similar pricing? Sky would've been nice to incorporate TV into the same bill but I am aware that they do not currently offer FTTP.
Standard User DougM
(committed) Mon 09-Sep-19 19:53:53
Print Post

Re: FTTP New House

[re: nellisere] [link to this post]

I have the same set-up. Openreach provides a complete list of who sells Internet access using Openreach FTTP, not a long list:

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fttp-provi...

I believe only BT offers a phone service using the phone port on the ONT, but plenty of choice for VoIP or mobile providers independently of FTTP service.

Sky is allowing FTTP households to register their interest for their imminent ultrafast service, but I donít know when it will go live.

-==-
DougM
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Sep-19 20:29:11
Print Post

FTTP 40/10 on BT Retail is £29.99 /m on a 24 month min term with a £60 pre-paid Mastercard thrown in from BT. You can also get £95 cashback if going via Quidco and with both of these discounts this brings down the price to £23.50/m over 24 months. TBH you're not going to find any better deals than that currently...

Fluidata FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Openreach 4+2 ONT Huawei HG8240
Netgear RAX200 AX11000

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jake4
(learned) Mon 09-Sep-19 23:30:20
Print Post

Kinda going off topic here but when can we expect the Openreach wholesale price decrease to effect the current prices.

I don't know if it's worth going for the 150/30 for £39.99 a month with bt (with £110 MasterCard) or wait upto a max of 2 weeks to see if the prices go down since my current FTTC contract ends early October.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 10-Sep-19 08:20:48
Print Post

[re: Jake4] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jake4:
Kinda going off topic here but when can we expect the Openreach wholesale price decrease to effect the current prices.

I don't know if it's worth going for the 150/30 for £39.99 a month with bt (with £110 MasterCard) or wait upto a max of 2 weeks to see if the prices go down since my current FTTC contract ends early October.

There's no decrease in the wholesale price of 150/30: see the table at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8477-openreach-p...

The price of 330/50 is being reduced to a level where it's only £3+VAT more than 150/30 at wholesale. But actually, for two years there has been a wholesale "special offer" at almost the same price (£25.39+VAT per month), so this change just cements that discount.

So I'd say: if 150/30 is what you want, and you have a good deal, then take it. Maybe the premium you'd have to pay for 330/50 could drop very slightly, but that's all.

Edited by candlerb (Tue 10-Sep-19 09:05:09)

Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 10-Sep-19 09:20:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by nellisere:
I am soon moving into a new build, around 2 years old
Sorry I know this doesn't answer your question but I am interested in why some people refer to a 2 year old property as a new build, surely a new build is newly built not 2 years old. The fact that this 2 year old property has FTTP is brilliant news.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Sep-19 09:46:56
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I refer to my 7 year old house as a "new build".

In a country with properties that are hundreds of years old I'm very surprised someone doesn't think a 2 year old property is "new".
Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 10-Sep-19 10:00:55
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
I refer to my 7 year old house as a "new build".

In a country with properties that are hundreds of years old I'm very surprised someone doesn't think a 2 year old property is "new".
Good for you!

Sadly in a throw away world everyone likes to think they have something new.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Tue 10-Sep-19 10:33:11
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Hi

We lived in a house for 25+ years that was new built, even after all that time us, neighbours, and family would always refer to the house/estate as a new build estate.

The term "New build" is starting to become a way to describe a style of building new estates that most people recognise as being profit optimised and built by the same few developers using a handful of house styles to modern building standards, and very newly built 'new builds' are coming with FTTP smile

Regards

Phil
Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Sep-19 12:17:18
Print Post

I'm not sure if what we offer is any good to you?

https://www.aquiss.net/unlimited-fttp-fibre-broadband/

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Limited
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Tue 10-Sep-19 12:43:16
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

Some new-builds don't even get FTTP. One development near me that has just been completed has FTTC purely because there is an existing PCP and fibre cabinet just outside its entrance.
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Sep-19 13:05:12
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
Some new-builds don't even get FTTP. One development near me that has just been completed has FTTC purely because there is an existing PCP and fibre cabinet just outside its entrance.

Probably because the developer didn't meet the minimum threshold for 'free' FTTP, which I think is 30 plots. Otherwise it would be sheer madness for the developer to request copper instead of fibre considering both cost the same to the developer as long as the minimum plot requirements are met.

Netgear RAX200 AX11000
Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 10-Sep-19 14:35:53
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PhilipD:
The term "New build" is starting to become a way to describe a style of building new estates that most people recognise as being profit optimised
Thanks for that reply, I have to be honest and say I had never thought of it that way but it does make sense now.
Standard User threelegs
(regular) Tue 10-Sep-19 15:59:17
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

sorry to hijack this thread but is 67 the max that aquiss offer for download
Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Sep-19 19:08:44
Print Post

[re: threelegs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by threelegs:
sorry to hijack this thread but is 67 the max that aquiss offer for download

67Mbps average, based on 80/20 is currently the highest profile we currently offer, but we are just in the final technical/commercial stages of deploying higher options, which will be deployed during Q4.

Upgrades from lower profiles will be possible at that time if required.

Martin Pitt
Company Founder
Aquiss Limited
https://www.aquiss.net

FTTC, FTTP, GEA, EFM, Leased Lines, Telecoms and Hosting
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Sep-19 19:47:09
Print Post

Do you have plans to offer the new 550/75 & 1000/115 tiers once Openreach start selling them?

Netgear RAX200 AX11000
Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Sep-19 20:55:17
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Do you have plans to offer the new 550/75 & 1000/115 tiers once Openreach start selling them?

Yes, we have them both listed together as a dedicated rollout project in our internal plans, separate to the 160 and 330 tiers which will arrive first, but certainly within scope for commercial consideration during 2020 to extend our ultrafast line of products.

Martin Pitt
Company Founder
Aquiss Limited
https://www.aquiss.net

FTTC, FTTP, GEA, EFM, Leased Lines, Telecoms and Hosting
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Sep-19 21:22:28
Print Post

Cheers, will keep an eye on your website for the new services smile