General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ImranQ
(regular) Sun 22-Sep-19 17:37:39
Print Post

Patchy internet Problems with Fibre 2 w/Toople (Talk Talk)

[link to this post]

Hi,
I have a line and DSL with Toople. The underlying provider is Talk Talk.

Since Friday just before lunch, by internet service has been extremely patchy. NO internet pretty much on Friday afternoon/evening. Then patchy Saturday - literally up and down and today has been somewhat better although it went down but then came up quite quickly.

Secondly although my internet speed is usually around 70-75Mbps (down) and 20Mbps (up), it now seems to have literally halved.

I spoke to the Toople people around lunchtime on Friday and they claimed there were local works in the area but the problems seem to have persisted all w/e so not sure if it is the case.

I know people will tell me to wait until tomorrow but was wondering what I could do if the problems persist beyond tomorrow..??

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Imran

Edited by ImranQ (Sun 22-Sep-19 17:38:11)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-Sep-19 18:45:40
Print Post

Re: Patchy internet Problems with Fibre 2 w/Toople (Talk Tal

[re: ImranQ] [link to this post]

When you say up and down and speeds halved are you talking about the connection to the local cabinet (i.e. connection speeds have dropped and modem is resyncing a lot) or something else?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Sep-19 19:15:32
Print Post

Have you plugged a phone in and checked you have a clear dialling tone ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ImranQ
(regular) Sun 22-Sep-19 20:00:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply.

When I say down, I mean totally disconnected. My router (Netgear tNighthawk X4S R7800) connected to the openreach modem says there is no internet. The phone has had awful background noise and infact when I phoned Toople support on Friday around lunchtime, the support guy also affirmed the noise. Otherwise the phone has been working.

As I said before, my internet went down on Friday just before lunch. and has mostly been down both Friday and yesterday. Yesterday it came up for a little while in the morning and then stayed down coming up for very short periods. It then came up for a few hours in the early evening and then died around midnight.
The internet has been somewhat more stable today and only went briefly for a few mins today.

With regards to speeds, I was referring to speedtest.net. I previously got between 65-75 MBps but since the problems I have been getting 20-50MBps.
Just a short time ago, it seems to have gotten slightly better and hovering between 50-60MBps. Perhaps its getting better..

Edited by ImranQ (Sun 22-Sep-19 20:03:17)

Standard User ImranQ
(regular) Sun 22-Sep-19 20:02:46
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply. Yes I do get a dial tone but has been with awful background noise. I just checked and it seems to have improved a lot.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Sep-19 20:02:53
Print Post

You have a fault on your line. Ring it in and have them get Openreach out.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Sep-19 20:04:40
Print Post

See my other reply .... an HR (high resistance) type fault seems most likely. A bum connection at some point between you and the cabinet.

Standard User ImranQ
(regular) Sun 22-Sep-19 20:05:29
Print Post

I reported the issue to Toople on Friday but they said I would need to wait until Monday. Plus their support is closed on the w/e which seems absurd considering the internet is designed for businesses!
Standard User ImranQ
(regular) Sun 22-Sep-19 20:07:34
Print Post

BTW can you report to openreach directly? My ISP is Toople but they use TalkTalk who I guess use openreach or does it have to go through your ISP?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Sep-19 20:20:32
Print Post

Isnít it just ........

You cannot report directly to Openreach. Itíll have to go via either your broadband or voice provider ..... Iíd say the broadband one. The voice service people route will be likely to get a CDT job raised, and possible charges raised if the noise isnít obvious during the visit.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to