General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Oct-19 16:10:57
Print Post

FTTC with extension cable

[link to this post]

Never been able to get fibre even tho my cabinet was enabled due to capacity. I now can tho and was wondering how it works with telephone extension cables? My current setup is this:

From the master socket i have the adsl filter directly plugged in. Phone in one end, the other end i have a 10m cat5 twisted pair RJ11 cable that runs upstairs into my room and plugs into the router. Ethernet cables off that for the various devices i want wired.

Can i use this setup with fttc? As in can i still have the router plugged into the extension cable or does it have to plug directly into the master socket?

Edited by bobble_bob (Thu 10-Oct-19 16:11:20)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Oct-19 16:14:49
Print Post

Re: FTTC with extension cable

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

If it is just the one extension socket in the house and everything plugged in is using a microfilter then should not have a massive impact on the speeds.

So yes it will work, a slight chance of speeds being a little slower due to the extension cabling, but if good cable and no other extensions in property this risk is small.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Oct-19 16:19:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yea only 1 in the house. Cheers for the info

Edited by bobble_bob (Thu 10-Oct-19 16:20:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 10-Oct-19 16:47:54
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Hang on ....

The master socket has a plug in microfilter, the phone is plugged into the phone output of the filter, and the 10m jobbie feeding the router is plugged into the DSL output of the filter.

There are no hardwired extensions from the master ?

If the above is correct, then should all work OK. This set up won’t be seen as a bridge tap by DLM, so shouldn’t be an issue.

If your router provides stats, then it might be worth making a note of them with the router connected by a short cable to the filter, and again with the long cable you currently use .... there should be little or no difference, but always worth checking.

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Oct-19 16:53:42
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yea its as you described.

I did a test years ago and think there was a tiny difference but nothing of note
  Print Thread

Jump to