General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 23-Oct-19 00:28:09
Print Post

Where does FTTPoD run from?

[link to this post]

Hi guys and girls,

A question that would be quicker answered in a new thread than me trawling though 5 parts of the thread with it in.

Does FTTPoD run from the exchange to the premises or from the local FTTC enabled cabinet to the premises?

Just trying to get an idea, as I've recently had to have ducts cleared to the underground chamber that my connection is in, to replace the old copper cabling that had corroded.

So while I've now got a nice shiny piece of copper, I'm wondering whether to take the plunge with getting FTTPoD installed as I know the ducts are clear to the local cab which is just over 250m away.

Edited by Bryer (Wed 23-Oct-19 00:28:30)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Oct-19 00:50:32
Print Post

Re: Where does FTTPoD run from?

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

Does FTTPoD run from the exchange to the premises or from the local FTTC enabled cabinet to the premises?

Usually neither.

It comes from a Fibre Aggregation Node, usually in a pavement chamber though they can be on telegraph poles also.

These Aggregation Nodes are already in place for anyone ordering FTTPoD.
That's because 1 of the requirements of ordering is you must be connected to an FTTC cabinet.
The FTTC cabinet gets the fibre from the same Agg Node as the FTTP comes from.

In some areas the Agg Node can be at/near the exchange.

OpenReach recently announced on some deployments they may use a spare fibre from an FTTC cabinet rather than sourcing from the further away Agg Node.
That method is only likely to be used on very small scale FTTP deployments as it doesn't give enough capacity for large deployments.
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 23-Oct-19 00:54:07
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I live in a village that has a community funded fibre roll out.

Is there a way I can find out where the node is?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Oct-19 01:00:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bryer:
I live in a village that has a community funded fibre roll out.

Is there a way I can find out where the node is?

Usually a single Agg Node serving 3 or 4 FTTC DSLAM's.

In many cases the Agg Node is right next to 1 of the FTTC cabinets in a chamber underground.

If an FTTPoD quote is placed an estimated distance from property to Agg Node is given which can help guess where it might be.

There's no public map of where these are and OpenReach (for good reasons) don't tend to give this info out.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Oct-19 01:01:39
Print Post

If there is a 3-lid chamber near the PCP (phone) cabinet, probably in that chamber. If you have a duct to that then FTTPoD may be sensibly priced.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 23-Oct-19 01:11:35
Print Post

Well there are 4 cabinets in close proximity to the one that I'm connected to. Openreach engineers have said there is something in the pavement chamber that was kicking up issues with FTTC connections due to water ingress.

They had it out and have put a lot of man hours in to resolving the issue, so guessing that could be the node.

I've placed a FTTPoD quote with Cerberus, which they state is going to take 14 days to come back with. Then if I pay the £250 I think it is, they will see what actually needs doing.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 23-Oct-19 09:35:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:

Usually neither.

It comes from a Fibre Aggregation Node, usually in a pavement chamber though they can be on telegraph poles also.

As a consequence: the route the fibre takes from the aggregation node to your property can be different than the route the copper takes from your PCP to your property.

In my case, the fibre aggregation node is roughly due West from my property, while the local exchange is roughly due South, so they take different paths. Also, my FTTP(oD) isn't lit from the local exchange - it's lit from a larger exchange approx. 5 miles away.
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Tue 05-Nov-19 20:08:35
Print Post

So the desk quote has come back with the following:

Distance to Fibre node : 200 - 399 metres
Premises that the fibre cable would pass: 29
Cost of installation: £25,100

I get the feeling that this is Openreach giving a we don't want the work figure.

How drastic could the change be if the £250 survey fee is paid? I'm happy to pay the £250 if the quoted price is likely to greatly decrease but with it being so high, I'm a bit reluctant to pay the fee if the prices don't tend to move, as it's non refundable.

Edited by Bryer (Tue 05-Nov-19 22:22:31)

Standard User darren_mccoy
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-19 11:06:31
Print Post

Here's a Google doc with peoples estimate and final quote.

Estimate VS final quote
Standard User busterboy
(member) Wed 06-Nov-19 14:45:00
Print Post

[re: darren_mccoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by darren_mccoy:
Here's a Google doc with peoples estimate and final quote.

Estimate VS final quote

WOW good work. laugh

BTBroadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to