General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-19 13:37:18
Print Post

Re: BT Sales techniques - less than 100% upfront!

[re: Scientistnsaint] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Scientistnsaint:
IMO not a good idea to not have a POTS service and phone available.

Why?

We have four mobiles in the house on two different networks, I intentionally have the wife's mobile on a different network than mine. We have masts for all operators less than half a km away with excellent reception.

If the house is burning down at least I can run out and still call the fire brigade wink

If there's a power cut and mobiles are out, and there is an emergency (although I could drive to hospital in about ten minutes) then il knock on a neighbours door, but this scenario is extremely unlikely.

Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Wed 06-Nov-19 13:53:33
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Having an *extra* phone number, that rings in only one physical location ...

Unless it's a VoIP number which can be set up to ring at several locations, including on mobile phones. wink

FTTP 80/20 Mbps
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Nov-19 14:02:24
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Having an *extra* phone number, that rings in only one physical location

Nah, you can have multiple extensions innit.

Seriously though, having a reliable wifi connection at home IS what folks want ...
If the mobile providers can crack that issue, they’ll have sounded the death knell for landline based technologies for sure.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User simon194
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-19 15:59:46
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Here is an unlikely scenario as an example:

You have an accident at home and broken both legs and crushed your larynx and can barely speak.Calling from a landline or a VoIP number registered to your home address immediately gives the emergency services your location unlike calling from a mobile which takes longer to trace.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-19 16:07:47
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I'm past 50, and can remember using phones with dials on before mobiles even existed wink
I can remember our house phone. You just picked it up and asked the exchange for the number.

Michael Chare
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Wed 06-Nov-19 16:33:04
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I'm past 50, and can remember using phones with dials on before mobiles even existed wink
I can remember our house phone. You just picked it up and asked the exchange for the number.

And she (it was invariably a she in those days) could listen in just in case there was anything juicy she could pass on.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Nov-19 16:37:28
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

If I have broken both legs then it is likely I will be able to get to my mobile far easier than getting to my landline handset (generally because my mobile is generally very close to me). Can make up various examples either way but for most people they are really edge cases for having a landline - yes if it happens it could help but the risk is low and therefore not worth it for most people.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-19 16:52:40
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:

And she (it was invariably a she in those days) could listen in just in case there was anything juicy she could pass on.
Some time ago my parents got a phone call at night saying that I was in some sort of trouble. The operator must have been listening in because she then called my parents to say that the call had been made from a public phone coin box. My parents then rang the location where I was supposed to be and I was got out of bed to speak to them. My father was a schoolmaster so the call was probably made by some naughty boy.

Michael Chare
Standard User mnbvcxz
(member) Wed 06-Nov-19 16:58:42
Print Post

[re: Scientistnsaint] [link to this post]

Yes we still appreciate having a phone for the house here and a call package for our calls. The mobiles then are on payg costing only £10 a year or something for the odd call. Pick up the handset and dial, works for everyone.

Mind you I do worry if more people stop having phone lines presumably the cost of the ever fewer remaining ones will go up?

Ten, fifteen years ago you could easily buy a voip box that included incoming pots support, a rem booster, a wireless telephone extension and automatic prefix diallers. Now the market is closing down and its all fading away. Sigh.
Standard User mnbvcxz
(member) Wed 06-Nov-19 17:06:03
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
Here is an unlikely scenario as an example:

Or a more likely one, the only adult in the house becomes incapacitated and the kid(s) are too young to have their own mobile phones and can't get past the adults passlock. Let's just hope there is a nearby neighbour.

Perhaps there is a coming need for a very simple emergency phone to put in every house.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to