General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 06-Nov-19 20:02:11
Print Post

Re: BT Sales techniques - less than 100% upfront!

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mnbvcxz:
Or a more likely one, the only adult in the house becomes incapacitated and the kid(s) are too young to have their own mobile phones and can't get past the adults passlock.

All mobile phones let you dial the emergency services from the lock screen, without unlocking.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-19 22:16:12
Print Post

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

In my case, one daughter is an adult, the other will be in 6 months, both are extremely capable of using their own phones, or as pointed out dialing the emergency services from the lock screen of a locked mobile.

My phone has two emergency contacts which can also be called when the phone is locked, when pressing the emergency button on the lock screen the phones location is shown, and any information I've added along with the emergency contacts.

Also when an emergency call to the emergency services is placed, a separate message is sent with the phones GPS location, although for some unknown reason not all emergency services use it, some have been known apparently to ask calers to install the what 3 words app.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Mobile_Loca...

Both Android and Apple have this emergency feature and location system.

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-19 22:25:11
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
Here is an unlikely scenario as an example:

You have an accident at home and broken both legs and crushed your larynx and can barely speak.Calling from a landline or a VoIP number registered to your home address immediately gives the emergency services your location unlike calling from a mobile which takes longer to trace.

As has been said by others, my mobile will be very close by, much easier to reach and send multiple texts to friends or family (as I apparently can't speak) from that to request assistance, the recipients can then call the emergency services, I can also call 999, see my other reply https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4629364-re... regarding location data, or presuming I can speak but have forgotten where I live.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AlexBristol
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-19 23:10:36
Print Post

[re: Jimneybob] [link to this post]

This thread seems to have gone off topic. Hi JimneyBob, I experienced something similar with a BT salesman for FTTP upgrade in April this year, as soon as he got the sale he stopped replying to my emails to fix the set-up issues, I get the feeling they are heavily paid on commission. So after thirty days on the new contract and still issues outstanding I raised a formal complaint and the Complaints team handled it perfectly and fix everything and gave me a nice sweetener for my inconvenience, now I am very happy with them and on an excellent deal.

Try to shorten your explanation of the problem you had and to the point, you need to remember BT staff are hearing/reading hundreds of messages like yours so they are only looking for an overview to begin with. Tell them what you want them to do to fix the issues. Then remind them you have spent your unpaid time to sort this out and what would make you a very happy BT customer is if they...upgraded you to the faster deal at no extra cost or gave you free three months service or something else, while they might not give you this they will usually try and meet you in the middle, it is in their interest to leave you feeling happy and wanting to stay with BT. I phoned BT Complaints first then followed up summary points in an email. Let us know how you get on?
Standard User AlexBristol
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-19 23:15:52
Print Post

[re: AlexBristol] [link to this post]

Just thought after posting the previous message, how about asking for free phone calls anytime, so day, night, weekend, weekday, if that would interest you.
Standard User mnbvcxz
(member) Thu 07-Nov-19 11:14:12
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
In reply to a post by mnbvcxz:
Or a more likely one, the only adult in the house becomes incapacitated and the kid(s) are too young to have their own mobile phones and can't get past the adults passlock.

All mobile phones let you dial the emergency services from the lock screen, without unlocking.

Huh well that proves me wrong doesn't it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-Nov-19 12:45:43
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
If there's a power cut and mobiles are out, and there is an emergency (although I could drive to hospital in about ten minutes) then il knock on a neighbours door, but this scenario is extremely unlikely.
I'm partly with you there. Ditched landline broadband in December 2018 and landline itself at the end of January.

Re domestic power cuts however, most of those are at the local substation. Few people these days still have line-powered phones, and those that do probably have them stowed away somewhere and have forgotten where. As DECT phones don't work without mains power or a UPS, another rarity, mobile systems are better. A neighbour's phone being similarly affected.

Even for wide-area blackouts, don't the mobile masts have a degree of power resilience?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Nov-19 13:44:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good point about dect phones, when we did have a land line we had Dect phones, I do have a Ups for my server and network equipment, but it wasn't convenient to have the phone on it.

A quick Google suggests some cell towers have battery backup, more important ones may even have generators, whilst some rely on just the mains.

Standard User lelboy
(committed) Thu 07-Nov-19 15:42:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Indeed., Andrew.
As a matter of course , I now use ACR call recorder on ALL calls.

I have to say that when I told Virgin I was recording the call, I was told "we don't allow that" - and they hung up!

Edited by lelboy (Thu 07-Nov-19 15:43:40)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 07-Nov-19 16:06:07
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lelboy:
I have to say that when I told Virgin I was recording the call, I was told "we don't allow that" - and they hung up!

I bet if you call *them*, you get a message saying that they can record the call...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to