General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Thu 07-Nov-19 16:15:30
Print Post

Re: BT Sales techniques - less than 100% upfront!

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Indeed, Can.
They said they were recording the call - and that's when I told them I was, too. Then the inevitable.
For what it's worth, I've never had that issue with BG/BT or Sky...
Cheers, Les.
Standard User Scientistnsaint
(learned) Thu 07-Nov-19 16:32:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Seriously though... for the generation who've grown up with mobile phones, they see a landline as inferior to a mobile in every possible way.

Other than resilience/reliability.
Standard User Scientistnsaint
(learned) Thu 07-Nov-19 16:58:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Re domestic power cuts however, most of those are at the local substation.

Doesn't matter where they are from the POV of having no power for your comms devices at home.

And a power cut like that will not stop a hard-wired POTS phone from working.

Few people these days still have line-powered phones, and those that do probably have them stowed away somewhere and have forgotten where.

Oh I quite agree that a lack of appreciation of the bl**din obvious common sense of keeping a landline and a traditional phone is widespread.

As DECT phones don't work without mains power or a UPS, another rarity, mobile systems are better. A neighbour's phone being similarly affected.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you read the manual for any DECT phone you'd find advice to also have a phone which does not need a battery or local mains power to work.

Even for wide-area blackouts, don't the mobile masts have a degree of power resilience?

Do these things happen to bog-standard traditional wired phones and the links to the exchanges?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/12/06/ericsson_o2...

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Archive/SFR-mobile-n...

My point is by all means have mobile phones, cordless phones, VOIP phones, CB, SW radio, join Raynet, whatever.

But never, ever, give up also having a traditional hard-wired POTS phone.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Nov-19 17:24:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Even for wide-area blackouts, don't the mobile masts have a degree of power resilience?

Nope. Our Three and EE mast went off for 4 hours with the power cut. The further away masts where then overloaded, and hence data and calls failed for 4 hours on those two networks.

The other two networks worked, because their masts were just outside the area of the power cut!

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-Nov-19 17:47:44
Print Post

[re: Scientistnsaint] [link to this post]

Like this?
Wed 06/11/2019 at 14:45
Ongoing
Loss of Broadband and Telephone services

Estimated time to resolve: Ongoing
A small number of our customers in the areas shown below, may experience a loss of telephone and/or broadband services. We hope to have service restored as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience this may be causing. Services can be affected by a number of different factors such as damage by third parties to the network causing cable damage.

Areas currently impacted are below:
Kennford - 01392 (estimated clear date 12/11/2019)
Audlem - 01270 (estimated clear date 12/11/2019)
Kingsland Green - 020 (estimated clear date 12/11/2019)
Rufford - 01704 (estimated clear date 11/11/2019)
Harlesden - 020 (estimated clear date 11/11/2019)
Chessington - 020 (estimated clear date 11/11/2019)
Holt - 01263 (estimated clear date 11/11/2019)
Chipping - 01995 (estimated clear date 11/11/2019)
Crediton - 01363 (estimated clear date 11/11/2019)
Saddleworth - 01457 (estimated clear date 08/11/2019)
Tilston - 01829 (estimated clear date 08/11/2019)
Romsey - 01794 (estimated clear date 08/11/2019)
Carrickmore - 028 (estiamted clear date 08/11/2019)
Llansannan - 01745 (estimated clear date 07/11/2019)
Elgin - 01343 (estimated clear date 07/11/2019)
Silverton - 01392 (estimated clear date 07/11/2019)
Harlaston - 01827 (estimated clear date 07/11/2019)
Thamesmead - 020 (estimated clear date 07/11/2019)
Please continue to visit this page for further updates.Wed 06/11/2019 at 14:45
You need to click the link "Loss of broadband and telephone services" just above the initially empty text box.

Quite apart from plans for the withdrawal of PSTN by 2025.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 07-Nov-19 18:26:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Scientistnsaint:
But never, ever, give up also having a traditional hard-wired POTS phone.

Hard-wired POTS (analogue and line-powered) will be gone by 2025 - so better start getting used to the idea.
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Thu 07-Nov-19 19:15:49
Print Post

Long way from the original topic but it will be interesting to see what is planned to maintain emergency communication in mobile not-spots.

Things are not helped by the mobile networks over-estimating the extent of their coverage. For example the Ofcom coverage checker shows that none of the four networks (Three, O2, EE, Voda) offer any indoor coverage at my address but O2 and EE both claim good outdoor coverage for both 2G/3G and 4G while Three claims coverage for data but no voice. We live in a tourist area so see many thousand visitors walking past our front door each year. I ask from time to time and not one visitor has ever had any reception outside despite the claims of service offered by O2 and EE. This lack of signal is accepted to the extent that we still have a BT callbox a few yards from our front door, the justification being to maintain emergency coverage.

Edited by GonePostal (Thu 07-Nov-19 19:16:14)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 07-Nov-19 19:43:48
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
Long way from the original topic but it will be interesting to see what is planned to maintain emergency communication in mobile not-spots.

Mobile coverage is planned to be much better by 2025 - target 95% by geographical coverage.

I expect the odd phonebox could remain - perhaps with mains power and battery backup.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Nov-19 19:47:26
Print Post

Ever noticed how a mobile with no SIM says EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY. I believe the phone will use any available network for emergency calls, it will also do the same even if you have a SIM in it, and that call should also have priority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_nu...

Standard User GonePostal
(member) Thu 07-Nov-19 20:44:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
In reply to a post by GonePostal:

Mobile coverage is planned to be much better by 2025 - target 95% by geographical coverage.

I expect the odd phonebox could remain - perhaps with mains power and battery backup.

The problem is that if the plans are laid having taken the coverage claimed by the networks into account, then there will be places that remain as not-spots although the map shows adequate coverage. Despite the fact that I have been in e-mail correspondence with all of the network operators, Ofcom and our MP some operators still claim we have coverage when that is not the case.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to