General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jimneybob
(newbie) Mon 04-Nov-19 13:32:41
Print Post

BT Sales techniques - less than 100% upfront!

[link to this post]

Anyone else enticed by a BT upgrade text last week to upgrade their broadband, phone and mobile packages?

We are very fortunate to be in a GFast enabled area and I could nearly throw a stone at our cabinate (not that I would actualy do that to precious electronics) - just over 100m away.

All providers that offer an Ultrafast product for our line (apart from BT) would sell me their Max speed Ultrafast 2 products.

Been deliberating upgrading for a while, but the big increase in price in what we are currently paying for our Superfast Fibre 2 connection put me off.

Anyway I took the text bait and made the phone call to BT to see what their offer would be...

I was told at the time (which I didn't believe) that Ultrafast 1 package was only available on my line. Ultrafast 2 is not available.

To cut a long story short I agreed on a very good upgrade price of just £1 extra per month on our current Superfast 2 package price to take the Ultrafast 1 package and also upgrade my girlfriend's mobile SIM only from 5Gb to 20Gb per month.

Talking through the stuff they have to go through at the end the lady mentioned the Pay as you go home phone line. I stopped her and said you never mentioned a change in the home phone contract, I'd like to stay on our existing inclusive weekend calls.

The lady made out she hadn't noticed this change "It must be new" she said.

New it might be I replied, but I don't want it, I'd like to stay on the inclusive weekend calls please.

She implied that she had made the change I requested and we finished the conversation.

Within a few minutes the order confirmation email landed and it showed Pay as you go landline!

8:30am the next morning I get back on the phone to queery the order email confirmation - got told "can't do anything at the moment until the order has completed"

Engineer visit was first thing this morning (they must be quiet on sales withonly a 4 day lead time to book the engineer visit)

All setup in a few minutes, he just changed the master socket, I'd already setup the Smarthub 2.

Getting a nice 140Mbps down and 29Mbps up. However looking in the router stats it is showing under the Maximum data rate - 302.5Mbps down and 73.8Mbps up!

So I get back on the phone to BT and ask why when I was discussing our upgrade order over the phone last week did you tell me that the Ultrafast 2 package is not available when my line quite clearly will support it? (Yes, I've checked on the ADSL guide and it does show Amber for our number)

The lady says " let me have a look for you a moment" then comes back and is quite happy to quote me a price for an Ultrafast 2 package upgrade today that was very definately "not available on my line" just last Tuesday evening????????

I also queeried the pay as you go home telephone contract and got told that this is the new contract and the inclusive weekends id no longer available anymore!

So I was quite clearly lied to on this subject when I placed my order last week.

I know I should be extreemly grateful that we have access to these very good internet speeds (and for quite a reasonable price too), but these underhanded sales tactics should not be allowed.

I'd of been willing to pay a few more quid last week for the Ultrafast 2 package when we were sorting out the deal, but to be told it wasn't available then, but it is today is just damn right stupid and I would have signed up to pay them some more money for the faster package. Go figure????????

Sorry for the rant, but why does this have to be so difficult?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Nov-19 14:06:29
Print Post

Re: BT Sales techniques - less than 100% upfront!

[re: Jimneybob] [link to this post]

Skipping the weekend calls bit, but will say I don't trust the phone sales for anything, online upgrades you can read at leisure are usually better (though Amazon Prime button UI games means that even then its not foolproof).

The Ultrafast 1 versus Ultrafast 2 is down to BT Wholesale being cautious and flagging almost all G.fast lines as Amber, which translates to not totally sure on estimates and therefore in line with the move towards fairness and not over stating speeds they only make the faster product available once they've seen some actual line speed feedback. In effect this is a side effect of the push from Ofcom to be more upfront on speeds.

So now you are live and systems are seeing actual sync speeds, options for upgrade will exist.

Other providers might have handled this differently TalkTalk/Sky while same Openreach G.fast pod probably would have just ordered what you paid for i.e. if you jumped for the fastest G.fast option they'd have ordered it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Scientistnsaint
(learned) Tue 05-Nov-19 13:30:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jimneybob:
So I was quite clearly lied to

It's what they do.

Could well be company policy.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Nov-19 13:34:36
Print Post

[re: Scientistnsaint] [link to this post]

If it is company policy then it will be documented and recommend reporting to Ofcom as once they find documented proof to mislead customers they will fine BT Group

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jimneybob
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-19 00:12:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply yesterday.

I think your comment on the Amber status was fairly accurate. Interstingly checking the ADSL Checker today the status has now changed from Amber to Available. I've checked a few times today on the router log and it has shown the maximum download data rate anywhere betweeen 285 - 305Mbps. So I guess having real measured data instead of just an estimate now allows them to offer an Ultrafast 2 package on my line as it is within the acceptable speed range.

Also back to my original topic of sales techniques - I've helped a friend out today who is non technical with renegotiating her broadband and phone contract. She happens to be with BT on the ADSL copper that they are phasing out. Initially they were quoting her the same price for a Superfast 1 package that we've just agreed to for their Ultrafast 1 package.

We got there in the end, all be it 4 phone calls later, with lots of twisting & turning along the way!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Nov-19 09:39:17
Print Post

Have seen one of these emails and conclusion was that it was too soon after the phase out announcement to be the offer talked about.

Watching this ADSL at same price as 40/10 superfast product situation.

The fairness stuff was driven by Ofcom/Gov but a concern is that it is just being used to get people into new contracts and may cause issues for new providers in areas.

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-19 10:16:41
Print Post

As long as you have decent mobile reception at home just use mobiles instead of the land line, you've probably got more than enough minutes on them.

We stopped using the land line years ago, and when we moved to Virgin we did away with the land line altogether.

(learned) Wed 06-Nov-19 12:06:01
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

IMO not a good idea to not have a POTS service and phone available.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 06-Nov-19 13:10:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Scientistnsaint:

As everyone who's ever watched TV knows: the first thing an axe-wielding murder always does before breaking into your home is to cut the phone line smile

Seriously though... for the generation who've grown up with mobile phones, they see a landline as inferior to a mobile in every possible way.

Having an *extra* phone number, that rings in only one physical location, and which can only process text messages by reading them out - who would pay for that??
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-19 13:28:04
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

I'm past 50, and can remember using phones with dials on before mobiles even existed wink

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-19 13:37:18
Print Post

Why?

We have four mobiles in the house on two different networks, I intentionally have the wife's mobile on a different network than mine. We have masts for all operators less than half a km away with excellent reception.

If the house is burning down at least I can run out and still call the fire brigade wink

If there's a power cut and mobiles are out, and there is an emergency (although I could drive to hospital in about ten minutes) then il knock on a neighbours door, but this scenario is extremely unlikely.

Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Wed 06-Nov-19 13:53:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Having an *extra* phone number, that rings in only one physical location ...

Unless it's a VoIP number which can be set up to ring at several locations, including on mobile phones. wink

FTTP 80/20 Mbps
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Nov-19 14:02:24
Print Post

Having an *extra* phone number, that rings in only one physical location

Nah, you can have multiple extensions innit.

Seriously though, having a reliable wifi connection at home IS what folks want ...
If the mobile providers can crack that issue, they’ll have sounded the death knell for landline based technologies for sure.

Standard User simon194
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-19 15:59:46
Print Post

Here is an unlikely scenario as an example:

You have an accident at home and broken both legs and crushed your larynx and can barely speak.Calling from a landline or a VoIP number registered to your home address immediately gives the emergency services your location unlike calling from a mobile which takes longer to trace.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-19 16:07:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I'm past 50, and can remember using phones with dials on before mobiles even existed wink
I can remember our house phone. You just picked it up and asked the exchange for the number.

Michael Chare
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Wed 06-Nov-19 16:33:04
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I can remember our house phone. You just picked it up and asked the exchange for the number.

And she (it was invariably a she in those days) could listen in just in case there was anything juicy she could pass on.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Nov-19 16:37:28
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

If I have broken both legs then it is likely I will be able to get to my mobile far easier than getting to my landline handset (generally because my mobile is generally very close to me). Can make up various examples either way but for most people they are really edge cases for having a landline - yes if it happens it could help but the risk is low and therefore not worth it for most people.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-19 16:52:40
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:

And she (it was invariably a she in those days) could listen in just in case there was anything juicy she could pass on.
Some time ago my parents got a phone call at night saying that I was in some sort of trouble. The operator must have been listening in because she then called my parents to say that the call had been made from a public phone coin box. My parents then rang the location where I was supposed to be and I was got out of bed to speak to them. My father was a schoolmaster so the call was probably made by some naughty boy.

Michael Chare
Standard User mnbvcxz
(member) Wed 06-Nov-19 16:58:42
Print Post

Yes we still appreciate having a phone for the house here and a call package for our calls. The mobiles then are on payg costing only £10 a year or something for the odd call. Pick up the handset and dial, works for everyone.

Mind you I do worry if more people stop having phone lines presumably the cost of the ever fewer remaining ones will go up?

Ten, fifteen years ago you could easily buy a voip box that included incoming pots support, a rem booster, a wireless telephone extension and automatic prefix diallers. Now the market is closing down and its all fading away. Sigh.
Standard User mnbvcxz
(member) Wed 06-Nov-19 17:06:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by simon194:

Or a more likely one, the only adult in the house becomes incapacitated and the kid(s) are too young to have their own mobile phones and can't get past the adults passlock. Let's just hope there is a nearby neighbour.

Perhaps there is a coming need for a very simple emergency phone to put in every house.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Wed 06-Nov-19 20:02:11
Print Post

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mnbvcxz:
Or a more likely one, the only adult in the house becomes incapacitated and the kid(s) are too young to have their own mobile phones and can't get past the adults passlock.

All mobile phones let you dial the emergency services from the lock screen, without unlocking.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-19 22:16:12
Print Post

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

In my case, one daughter is an adult, the other will be in 6 months, both are extremely capable of using their own phones, or as pointed out dialing the emergency services from the lock screen of a locked mobile.

My phone has two emergency contacts which can also be called when the phone is locked, when pressing the emergency button on the lock screen the phones location is shown, and any information I've added along with the emergency contacts.

Also when an emergency call to the emergency services is placed, a separate message is sent with the phones GPS location, although for some unknown reason not all emergency services use it, some have been known apparently to ask calers to install the what 3 words app.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Mobile_Loca...

Both Android and Apple have this emergency feature and location system.

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-19 22:25:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by simon194:

You have an accident at home and broken both legs and crushed your larynx and can barely speak.Calling from a landline or a VoIP number registered to your home address immediately gives the emergency services your location unlike calling from a mobile which takes longer to trace.

As has been said by others, my mobile will be very close by, much easier to reach and send multiple texts to friends or family (as I apparently can't speak) from that to request assistance, the recipients can then call the emergency services, I can also call 999, see my other reply https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4629364-re... regarding location data, or presuming I can speak but have forgotten where I live.

Standard User AlexBristol
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-19 23:10:36
Print Post

This thread seems to have gone off topic. Hi JimneyBob, I experienced something similar with a BT salesman for FTTP upgrade in April this year, as soon as he got the sale he stopped replying to my emails to fix the set-up issues, I get the feeling they are heavily paid on commission. So after thirty days on the new contract and still issues outstanding I raised a formal complaint and the Complaints team handled it perfectly and fix everything and gave me a nice sweetener for my inconvenience, now I am very happy with them and on an excellent deal.

Try to shorten your explanation of the problem you had and to the point, you need to remember BT staff are hearing/reading hundreds of messages like yours so they are only looking for an overview to begin with. Tell them what you want them to do to fix the issues. Then remind them you have spent your unpaid time to sort this out and what would make you a very happy BT customer is if they...upgraded you to the faster deal at no extra cost or gave you free three months service or something else, while they might not give you this they will usually try and meet you in the middle, it is in their interest to leave you feeling happy and wanting to stay with BT. I phoned BT Complaints first then followed up summary points in an email. Let us know how you get on?
Standard User AlexBristol
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-19 23:15:52
Print Post

[re: AlexBristol] [link to this post]

Just thought after posting the previous message, how about asking for free phone calls anytime, so day, night, weekend, weekday, if that would interest you.
Standard User mnbvcxz
(member) Thu 07-Nov-19 11:14:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by mnbvcxz:
Or a more likely one, the only adult in the house becomes incapacitated and the kid(s) are too young to have their own mobile phones and can't get past the adults passlock.

All mobile phones let you dial the emergency services from the lock screen, without unlocking.

Huh well that proves me wrong doesn't it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-Nov-19 12:45:43
Print Post

If there's a power cut and mobiles are out, and there is an emergency (although I could drive to hospital in about ten minutes) then il knock on a neighbours door, but this scenario is extremely unlikely.
I'm partly with you there. Ditched landline broadband in December 2018 and landline itself at the end of January.

Re domestic power cuts however, most of those are at the local substation. Few people these days still have line-powered phones, and those that do probably have them stowed away somewhere and have forgotten where. As DECT phones don't work without mains power or a UPS, another rarity, mobile systems are better. A neighbour's phone being similarly affected.

Even for wide-area blackouts, don't the mobile masts have a degree of power resilience?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Nov-19 13:44:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good point about dect phones, when we did have a land line we had Dect phones, I do have a Ups for my server and network equipment, but it wasn't convenient to have the phone on it.

A quick Google suggests some cell towers have battery backup, more important ones may even have generators, whilst some rely on just the mains.

Standard User lelboy
(committed) Thu 07-Nov-19 15:42:12
Print Post

Indeed., Andrew.
As a matter of course , I now use ACR call recorder on ALL calls.

I have to say that when I told Virgin I was recording the call, I was told "we don't allow that" - and they hung up!

Edited by lelboy (Thu 07-Nov-19 15:43:40)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 07-Nov-19 16:06:07
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lelboy:
I have to say that when I told Virgin I was recording the call, I was told "we don't allow that" - and they hung up!

I bet if you call *them*, you get a message saying that they can record the call...
Standard User lelboy
(committed) Thu 07-Nov-19 16:15:30
Print Post

Indeed, Can.
They said they were recording the call - and that's when I told them I was, too. Then the inevitable.
For what it's worth, I've never had that issue with BG/BT or Sky...
Cheers, Les.
(learned) Thu 07-Nov-19 16:32:32
Print Post

Seriously though... for the generation who've grown up with mobile phones, they see a landline as inferior to a mobile in every possible way.

Other than resilience/reliability.
(learned) Thu 07-Nov-19 16:58:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Re domestic power cuts however, most of those are at the local substation.

Doesn't matter where they are from the POV of having no power for your comms devices at home.

And a power cut like that will not stop a hard-wired POTS phone from working.

Few people these days still have line-powered phones, and those that do probably have them stowed away somewhere and have forgotten where.

Oh I quite agree that a lack of appreciation of the bl**din obvious common sense of keeping a landline and a traditional phone is widespread.

As DECT phones don't work without mains power or a UPS, another rarity, mobile systems are better. A neighbour's phone being similarly affected.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you read the manual for any DECT phone you'd find advice to also have a phone which does not need a battery or local mains power to work.

Even for wide-area blackouts, don't the mobile masts have a degree of power resilience?

Do these things happen to bog-standard traditional wired phones and the links to the exchanges?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/12/06/ericsson_o2...

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Archive/SFR-mobile-n...

My point is by all means have mobile phones, cordless phones, VOIP phones, CB, SW radio, join Raynet, whatever.

But never, ever, give up also having a traditional hard-wired POTS phone.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Nov-19 17:24:43
Print Post

Nope. Our Three and EE mast went off for 4 hours with the power cut. The further away masts where then overloaded, and hence data and calls failed for 4 hours on those two networks.

The other two networks worked, because their masts were just outside the area of the power cut!

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-Nov-19 17:47:44
Print Post

Like this?
Wed 06/11/2019 at 14:45
Ongoing
Loss of Broadband and Telephone services

Estimated time to resolve: Ongoing
A small number of our customers in the areas shown below, may experience a loss of telephone and/or broadband services. We hope to have service restored as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience this may be causing. Services can be affected by a number of different factors such as damage by third parties to the network causing cable damage.

Areas currently impacted are below:
Kennford - 01392 (estimated clear date 12/11/2019)
Audlem - 01270 (estimated clear date 12/11/2019)
Kingsland Green - 020 (estimated clear date 12/11/2019)
Rufford - 01704 (estimated clear date 11/11/2019)
Harlesden - 020 (estimated clear date 11/11/2019)
Chessington - 020 (estimated clear date 11/11/2019)
Holt - 01263 (estimated clear date 11/11/2019)
Chipping - 01995 (estimated clear date 11/11/2019)
Crediton - 01363 (estimated clear date 11/11/2019)
Saddleworth - 01457 (estimated clear date 08/11/2019)
Tilston - 01829 (estimated clear date 08/11/2019)
Romsey - 01794 (estimated clear date 08/11/2019)
Carrickmore - 028 (estiamted clear date 08/11/2019)
Llansannan - 01745 (estimated clear date 07/11/2019)
Elgin - 01343 (estimated clear date 07/11/2019)
Silverton - 01392 (estimated clear date 07/11/2019)
Harlaston - 01827 (estimated clear date 07/11/2019)
Thamesmead - 020 (estimated clear date 07/11/2019)
Please continue to visit this page for further updates.Wed 06/11/2019 at 14:45
You need to click the link "Loss of broadband and telephone services" just above the initially empty text box.

Quite apart from plans for the withdrawal of PSTN by 2025.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 07-Nov-19 18:26:43
Print Post

But never, ever, give up also having a traditional hard-wired POTS phone.

Hard-wired POTS (analogue and line-powered) will be gone by 2025 - so better start getting used to the idea.
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Thu 07-Nov-19 19:15:49
Print Post

Long way from the original topic but it will be interesting to see what is planned to maintain emergency communication in mobile not-spots.

Things are not helped by the mobile networks over-estimating the extent of their coverage. For example the Ofcom coverage checker shows that none of the four networks (Three, O2, EE, Voda) offer any indoor coverage at my address but O2 and EE both claim good outdoor coverage for both 2G/3G and 4G while Three claims coverage for data but no voice. We live in a tourist area so see many thousand visitors walking past our front door each year. I ask from time to time and not one visitor has ever had any reception outside despite the claims of service offered by O2 and EE. This lack of signal is accepted to the extent that we still have a BT callbox a few yards from our front door, the justification being to maintain emergency coverage.

Edited by GonePostal (Thu 07-Nov-19 19:16:14)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Thu 07-Nov-19 19:43:48
Print Post

Long way from the original topic but it will be interesting to see what is planned to maintain emergency communication in mobile not-spots.

Mobile coverage is planned to be much better by 2025 - target 95% by geographical coverage.

I expect the odd phonebox could remain - perhaps with mains power and battery backup.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Nov-19 19:47:26
Print Post

Ever noticed how a mobile with no SIM says EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY. I believe the phone will use any available network for emergency calls, it will also do the same even if you have a SIM in it, and that call should also have priority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_nu...

Standard User GonePostal
(member) Thu 07-Nov-19 20:44:32
Print Post

Mobile coverage is planned to be much better by 2025 - target 95% by geographical coverage.

I expect the odd phonebox could remain - perhaps with mains power and battery backup.

The problem is that if the plans are laid having taken the coverage claimed by the networks into account, then there will be places that remain as not-spots although the map shows adequate coverage. Despite the fact that I have been in e-mail correspondence with all of the network operators, Ofcom and our MP some operators still claim we have coverage when that is not the case.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Nov-19 21:14:39
Print Post

I suspect that it a Boris promise which sounds nice as he wants to keep his job. Is he to be believed? I think he is the only PM I have heard described as a liar several times on Radio 4.

Michael Chare
Standard User dect
(experienced) Fri 08-Nov-19 08:18:10
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lelboy:
Don't you just hate double standards
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Fri 08-Nov-19 09:22:28
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

It's like the bank ringing you then asking for your password etc. before they will discuss what they were ringing about. I've never managed to ever get into the substance of the call as I refuse to give out such information to a cold caller.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Nov-19 10:47:40
Print Post

Yeah, same as that ... they ring you ... they should verify who they are ... not vice versa, you know who you are.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Nov-19 11:08:03
Print Post

Mobile coverage plotted is vastly more complex and therefore costly than fixed line coverage plotting.

The construction of each home, position within it, weather state outdoors, vegetation, traffic all play a part, add to that the variations in signal reception from different handsets and the problems multiple.

To be honest a good chunk of the 95% will arise from use of the 700 MHz or 800 MHz bands, the £530m from government will help and hopefully it gets spent on kit rather than paying for bayleaves.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Nov-19 11:10:43
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Find out which branch is calling you and persons name, then get the branch number from banks own website and call them back.

Too many scams/phishing going on that any call may be an attempt to get that one bit of info they are missing to later hit you with scams that do lose you money.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 08-Nov-19 11:13:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
£530m from government will help and hopefully it gets spent on kit rather than paying for bayleaves.
A new way of cooking the books to make them more palatable?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 08-Nov-19 11:17:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Find out which branch is calling you and persons name, then get the branch number from banks own website and call them back.
Bank phone numbers on websites these days tend to be call centres, even the site for individual branches. If you happen to know the individual one from history, or maybe you have a business account with a named contact, that might still be straight through.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Nov-19 11:55:02
Print Post

I've just typed wayleaves and first time it auto corrected it to bayleaves... paused and watched it do it.

Problem being I am normally thinking a few words ahead of what my fingers are actually typing and then don't spot the error - makes for more fun. That and the times I genuinely do type the wrong word.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 08-Nov-19 13:20:18
Print Post

smile
I just thought it worth commenting on humorously, hence the trophy icon on it. I guessed it would have been the spellchucker. It just seemed an appropriate reply, considering the claims that get made about rollouts and coverage by government and providers that don’t always tally with the reality you detect.

As well as bay leaves, saffron often works well.

You know I never criticise anyone wink.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Nov-19 15:59:56
Print Post

Bank phone numbers on websites these days tend to be call centres, even the site for individual branches.
Most banks don't do the decision making in branch any more, that went years ago. The branch is literally a "human contact centre" which is why phoning the branch is hard. You phone "the bank" and get through to the contact centre.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User dect
(experienced) Fri 08-Nov-19 17:05:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Bank phone numbers on websites these days tend to be call centres, even the site for individual branches.
Most banks don't do the decision making in branch any more, that went years ago. The branch is literally a "human contact centre" which is why phoning the branch is hard. You phone "the bank" and get through to the contact centre.
A lot of bank staff in overseas contact/call centres don't have DDI numbers which makes it even harder.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Nov-19 19:07:20
Print Post

My history of typos and wrong words and mangled sentences is well known, and well used to good natured corrections from people.

Only time I really get mad with myself is when I get numbers wrong.

(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Nov-19 23:34:50
Print Post

I had an unexpected call from a bank, I did not say much but did call them back. It turned out the call was genuine. It appears they didn't like the credit card balance being in credit. A situation which had arisen because of refunds for cancelled holiday accommodation.

Michael Chare
(learned) Wed 13-Nov-19 10:22:30
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I hope you didn't later get the rage-inducing situation I was in once where my credit card company penalised me for not making a payment one month when I didn't owe them anything (i.e. the balance was zero because of a refund) - apparently they didn't count refunds as payments, so if you'd spent money and had refunds, your payment obligation was calculated on the basis of your spends at the statement date, not the balance of your account at the due date.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to