General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User threelegs
(regular) Wed 06-Nov-19 14:10:23
Print Post

Re: New FTTP install questions

[re: dect] [link to this post]

if there is a nearby pole they can supply FTTP via overhead cable. you could possibly reduce any install costs by putting a suitable duct from road to house
Standard User Spuriousfish
(regular) Wed 06-Nov-19 14:52:47
Print Post

[re: threelegs] [link to this post]

I'll try and remember to come back with what happens during the install phase.

As for putting in my own duct it would depend on how easy it would be to liase with the installer, plus it will still cost for me to do it.

Fortunately I don't think I'll be the first to get an installation so I'll see what the neighbours have to go through.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 06-Nov-19 15:36:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by threelegs:
if there is a nearby pole they can supply FTTP via overhead cable.
There was a limit a few years ago on the maximum fibre drop between poles or to a property, I believe it was around the 67 metre mark.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Mon 11-Nov-19 17:13:17
Print Post

[re: Spuriousfish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spuriousfish:
As for putting in my own duct it would depend on how easy it would be to liase with the installer, plus it will still cost for me to do it.

We put our own ducting across our land to meet up with the Openreach box in the verge. A lot cheaper than Openreach would have been and we could do it to our standard.

Turf cutter to take off turf, then mini digger for trench. Openreach supplied the duct, and we shoved it in the hole and then backfilled and relaid turf. 3-months later you couldn't see a single piece of where the trench was, and most of it was invisible in 4-weeks.

It depends on if this is the sort of thing you do (we have a tame digger driver) and the overall distance, the shorter it is the more likely that it would be easier to leave to Openreach. But you would be unlikely to be in control of fit & finish with Openreach.

Dave
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Nov-19 20:31:46
Print Post

[re: F00tS0re] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by F00tS0re:
We put our own ducting across our land to meet up with the Openreach box in the verge. A lot cheaper than Openreach would have been and we could do it to our standard.

What diameter was the duct, how deep was it and were there any bends?

Michael Chare
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Tue 12-Nov-19 00:25:43
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Telecoms is 300mm, we were a healthy 300mm to reduce chances of future damage.
Ducting was 3m lengths that were push fit (provided by openreach).

We had a long bend, circa 45degrees that could be done with the duct itself as it passed a corner of a building. Then one proper 90degree bend provided by openreach. That was a [censored] to rod but luckily that bit was still open when then installed fibre so we could open it up and sort it out.

Diameter I can check but roughly 40mm.

Dave
Standard User threelegs
(regular) Tue 12-Nov-19 13:43:15
Print Post

standard bt duct is 54mm. i put 25mm duct across under the lawn and OR happily used that for my fttp connection. i used similiar to this, one continous length from bottom of pole to house. i put a draw rope in by using a vacum to suck the rope through
https://www.plastics-express.co.uk/water-service-pip...

Edited by threelegs (Tue 12-Nov-19 13:45:22)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 12-Nov-19 14:22:23
Print Post

The rule-of-thumb I'd learned for designing ducting is:

* maximum 200m between pull-points
* reduce by 50m for every 90 degrees of bend (cumulative)

e.g. 45 degree plus 90 degree: that would give a limit of 125m before you're supposed to add an intermediate chamber.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Tue 12-Nov-19 16:33:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by threelegs:
standard bt duct is 54mm. i put 25mm duct across under the lawn and OR happily used that for my fttp connection. i used similiar to this, one continous length from bottom of pole to house. i put a draw rope in by using a vacum to suck the rope through
https://www.plastics-express.co.uk/water-service-pip...

You must have a pole on your land. It’s understandable that they’d use a duct on your land if it already terminates at the base of their pole.

Openreach wouldn’t do a dig and connect your duct to their duct.

Icaras
Standard User F00tS0re
(member) Tue 12-Nov-19 17:46:46
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
The rule-of-thumb I'd learned for designing ducting is:

* maximum 200m between pull-points
* reduce by 50m for every 90 degrees of bend (cumulative)

e.g. 45 degree plus 90 degree: that would give a limit of 125m before you're supposed to add an intermediate chamber.

Yup, although the 45 Degree bend was over 30m of pipe so was more a curve than a bend. That presented no issues. But the 90Degree bend right at the end of the line was too hard to push round. The rod was compressing within the duct in a spirally fashion. It didn't want to go round the 90 Degree bend on its own much. We used some of my lighter rods to pull the bend and the last 4-years.

Whoever said 54mm is correct. But that is about 40mm in rural terms, like a waste water pipe size.

Next job is electric into a field on a new supply, or a section 50 under the roadway job. Hampered by a ditch one side. Then a 200m trench to where we need it. I must love diggers!

Dave
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to