General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tedsloan
(learned) Wed 13-Nov-19 23:02:50
Print Post

FTTP and Powerline Adapter.

[link to this post]

I had ULTRA FIBRE 2 from BT installed two days ago with the expectation of 300/49Mbps speeds.
The ONT is located downstairs on the Ground Floor with the Hub upstairs on the First Floor. I have connected the two units using a Mains Adapter from TP Link rated at "up to 600 Mpbs"
My results, using this setup are around 50Mpbs download and 19Mpbs upload. I am told that it will take up to 10days for the system to settle and that I should expect fluctuations in speed . I doubt that this can improve to give me a top speed of 300Mpbs.
I am wondering if the Powerline Adapters are too underrated and that I should install a pair of Adapters such as AV1000, AV1300 - something more powerful.
I would appreciate hearing from someone who has experienced a similar situation.
Thanks in advance for your response.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 13-Nov-19 23:07:54
Print Post

Re: FTTP and Powerline Adapter.

[re: tedsloan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tedsloan:
I had ULTRA FIBRE 2 from BT installed two days ago with the expectation of 300/49Mbps speeds.
The ONT is located downstairs on the Ground Floor with the Hub upstairs on the First Floor. I have connected the two units using a Mains Adapter from TP Link rated at "up to 600 Mpbs"
My results, using this setup are around 50Mpbs download and 19Mpbs upload. I am told that it will take up to 10days for the system to settle and that I should expect fluctuations in speed . I doubt that this can improve to give me a top speed of 300Mpbs.
I am wondering if the Powerline Adapters are too underrated and that I should install a pair of Adapters such as AV1000, AV1300 - something more powerful.
I would appreciate hearing from someone who has experienced a similar situation.
Thanks in advance for your response.
Have you tried temporarily plugging the hub directly into the ONT without the Powerline Adapters in between? That would prove if the slowness is being introduced by the Powerline Adapters.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Wed 13-Nov-19 23:39:08
Print Post

Your powerline adaptors are likely on two different circuits if one is upstairs and one downstairs. In this configuration performance will be pants as you have discovered. In general powerline adaptors are the devils work and best avoided like the plague. Buying more expensive powerline adaptors is unlikely to help. You will need to use some other technological if you want better performance. Generally I would advise some Cat5e or better still Cat6a cable.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Nov-19 05:47:47
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Agree with Dectís post ... the adaptors are not fit for purpose.

The 10 day thing isnít actually a thing on FTTP at all. It should just work from the get go.

Standard User clyde123
(member) Thu 14-Nov-19 09:05:46
Print Post

Agree with the other replies above.
I've had experience of powerline adapters in various premises, and while they do work / can work, the performance is variable and can deteriorate over a relatively short time.
I would never install them in a situation where speed is critical.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Nov-19 09:34:08
Print Post

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

And to add to all the good responses the OP really needs to do a speedtest directly connected to the router with an ethernet cable and the power adapters turned off. That at least will check the connection is ok and everything from then is how to get that connection from the router to where the devices are.
Standard User andyhurley
(regular) Thu 14-Nov-19 10:07:42
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Whilst on the whole I agree with the previous comments about use of powerline adaptors I would temper this by saying that they can be and are useful in certain (limited) situations.

In my experience the use between two rings on a the same consumer unit makes very little difference to the speed/reliability obtained but the general level of noise on the mains makes a big difference.

I have used sets of 300mbps rated power line adaptors to connect a smart TV (that didn't have wifi) to my router and had no problems streaming video (the requirement here was less than 10mbps so not really surprising).

Currently I am using a pair (the same pair) to connect a 4g router to a load balancing router which feeds our house wifi (so similar to the OP but in our case this is a secondary connection to our very slow [4mbps] VDSL connection). I can't run a physical cable as we are in temporary accommodation and I can't move the 4g router as that is the only place it receives a decent signal. In our case the 4g is only 30-40mpbs and I get all of that when testing directly from the 4g router or via the powerline/wifi set up to the house so that is fine. And, yes, the powerlines are on two different circuits.

So my advice is treat them with caution, don't expect big speeds, replace with cabling if at all possible but if you can't and you can live with sub 100 mbps speeds then they are probably fine and, almost certainly better than trying to get your wifi to cover the same area.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Nov-19 10:37:37
Print Post

[re: andyhurley] [link to this post]

One of the reasons I wouldn't currently look to go to 300Mb is that there are fewer reliable ways to get that speed over a modest distance. The most reliable is ethernet cabling but that isn't always possible (or desirable). Then wireless and powerline are options but both can be impacted by various factors and are much more variable - and can change over time when new noise sources are introduced ending in a sudden impact on performance. The technologies are there but they are nowhere near as simple as when you are trying to deliver 20 or 30Mb to an end point.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Nov-19 11:12:35
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Wrt wifi, if you use appropriate hardware at both ends (router><client) and the environment is right - eg not in a heavily congested wifi area then you can certainly get very respectable wifi speeds. With a 4x4 router paired with a desktop 4x4 PCI card (Asus PCE-AC88) , i'm getting a link rate of 2.1 Gb/s with actual throughput of around 1 Gb/s. Desktop PC & router are on different floors, with at least 15m distance. Therefore I have no problem maxing out my 330 Mbps FTTP line over wireless (ditto for other 802.11ac clients), but of course YMMV. And with 802.11ax (wifi 6) slowly becoming more common, wifi speeds will only increase.

BT Business FTTP(oD) 330/50 -- 4+2 ONT -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User andyhurley
(regular) Thu 14-Nov-19 11:40:19
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Yes, that can work well but not so good if the intention is to get the wifi to cover a whole house with a dozen random devices (phones, tablets, printers, STBs etc). In this case you would need your 'client' to pass the signal on to another wifi router for the other devices which is not so simple to do with readily available consumer equipment. If you don't mind leaving a computer running that can work. I did something similar using a totally reconfigured hotspot turned into a receiver which then fed the house router but it was not easy to do and not something for the average consumer to attempt without some expert help.

What is really needed is for someone to start selling wifi point to point equipment aimed at the mass consumer market that is easy to set up. Maybe they do make it but I've not seen it other than in the pro market which is just too complicated for the average Joe to set up.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to