General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Sat 30-Nov-19 09:50:57
Print Post

Re: How is FTTP speed regulated

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Reasoning most likely that it aligns with G.fast services and the move towards honesty/fairness i.e. by understating speeds they can be sure most people will get much more and be happy.

The speed customers will see on a speedtest site is just the TCP payload not counting PPPoE/IP/TCP headers, around 152-154Mbps for a total data rate of 160Mbps.

By giving a headline speed of 150Mbps, they avoid the problem of customers phoning up to complain "I paid for 160Mbps and I'm only getting 152Mbps" and the corresponding support costs.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 30-Nov-19 10:36:35
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Which was catered for in the old 10% rules

Was not referring to a headline figure of 150 Mbps but the product name Fibre 100 for a 160 Mbps sync service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cjgpers
(regular) Sat 30-Nov-19 12:26:24
Print Post

[re: cjgpers] [link to this post]

A follow up question. I need to know what is "normal" when performance testing an FTTP connection. So, in these two examples what is "normal".

1. Using BT's own performance site it always returns with a fault saying "We can't see your Hub online so we're not able to run a speedtest for you at the moment".
Is this just a quirk of FTTP, or can others with FTTP use BT's performance testing page okay?
http://support.bt.com/fix/bbspeedtest/

2. Using the BT Wholesale site, it always returns a result showing very slow and variable performance (10Mbps - 30Mbps).
Again, is this just a quirk of FTTP, or can others with FTTP use BT Wholesale's performance testing page okay?
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

I'm just trying to eliminate things in the various problems I'm having with FTTP. All other speed testing sites seem to work okay returning valid results.

Arthur Young

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 30-Nov-19 13:55:33
Print Post

BT Wholesale tester is not good at all for testing FTTP performance and not even that good for VDSL2 either

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bedrock
(member) Sat 30-Nov-19 17:38:03
Print Post

Never got the first one of those to work, but the second gives me the following results, I'm on the recently rebranded Halo Fibre 250 (330/50 FTTP)

Download Speed (Mbps): 294.57
Upload Speed (Mbps) : 42.00
Ping Latency (ms): 13

Test was conducted over WiFi

BT Ultrafast Fibre 2

Edited by bedrock (Sat 30-Nov-19 17:39:51)

Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Mon 02-Dec-19 17:01:59
Print Post

[re: bedrock] [link to this post]

lets see what kind of speed you get over Ethernet that looks good either way tbh

My Connection
BT FTTP 150/30
Standard User cjgpers
(regular) Mon 02-Dec-19 20:02:04
Print Post

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by thomaswarne01:
lets see what kind of speed you get over Ethernet that looks good either way tbh
All the tests Iíve done are over Ethernet. And speed doesnít look good, being about half of what Iím meant to be getting.

Anyway, had a call from BT on Saturday night saying the problem has been passed to Openreach to fix, but they donít know when frown

Edited by cjgpers (Mon 02-Dec-19 20:05:23)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Dec-19 02:20:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by cjgpers:
Thanks, still a bit confused. How do I get BT (or is it Openreach) to connect me to the correct wholesale product. Can you suggest specifically what I need to ask them to do.

Looking at a BT Wholesale test, it seems to say my FTTP service has an IP profile of 73.79 Mbps.

BT Wholesale Test
that BRAS IP profile is low for the 80/20 service should be 77.44 mbps same as the max on FTTC there is NO DLM on True fibre so why the IP profile is set so low is a mystery that will limit your throughput
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Dec-19 06:15:42
Print Post

Either

a) BT Retail have ordered the wrong product from Openreach, ie 80/20 instead of 160/30

or

b) Openreach have incorrectly put you on 80/20 despite BT Retail putting in an order for 160/30

Either way, it should be up to your CP (BT) to sort this out.

BT Business FTTP(oD) 330/50 -- 4+2 ONT -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User cjgpers
(regular) Tue 03-Dec-19 09:01:19
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
that BRAS IP profile is low for the 80/20 service should be 77.44 mbps same as the max on FTTC there is NO DLM on True fibre so why the IP profile is set so low is a mystery that will limit your throughput
I do still wonder if BT (or Openreach) think I'm on an FTTC service? That's what the Openreach engineer thought, and it was the same engineer who fitted the ONT in the first place. I'm due another phone call from BT tomorrow, but speed is still half of what it should be.

speedtest - Its also strange how the speed dropped from a consistent 74 to 71 on 7th November.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to