General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Sun 01-Dec-19 09:47:55
Print Post

Re: Gfast at 360 meters

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lockyatlrg:
The upload doesn't really bother me too much. The engineer did say this is the longest he has seen it work and he nearly didn't bother even installing it be was suprised by the sync. he said my line is 332 meters to the DP.

Hopefully BT deploy the unused spectrum between VDSL and Gast to get a better range of speeds.

Do you mean 332 metres to the PCP?

Icaras
Standard User dect
(experienced) Sun 01-Dec-19 10:11:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Icaras:
Do you mean 332 metres to the PCP?
The reason for this question is that G.Fast equipment is normally located in a pod attached to a PCP.

A DP is simply a distribution point located somewhere between your PCP and your property, its used to serve a smaller number of properties and can normally be found at the top of a telephone pole or in a joint box in the footway so has no bearing on the speed.

Edit: Don't like the word serve as its really just a junction box with a large paired cable in and smaller paired cables out to each property it serves.

Edited by dect (Sun 01-Dec-19 10:19:15)

Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Dec-19 11:53:35
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

No he said from the cab to the DP which is the manhole cover outside my house on the path. I would say there is probably another 20 to 30 meters of cable from that to my house.

Google maps has it at exactly 290 meters from the cab to my house by foot.

Connection Speed 116631 kbps 12955 kbps
Line Attenuation D1(44.7 dB) , D2(0.0 dB) , D3(0.0 dB) U0(0.0 dB) , U1(0.0 dB) , U2(0.0 dB)
Noise Margin 3.1 dB 3.1 dB
Sky Q Hub Sky G.fast
My Broadband Ping

Edited by lockyatlrg (Sun 01-Dec-19 11:54:51)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User partial
(experienced) Sun 01-Dec-19 12:12:07
Print Post

The installer's tester will over measure around 10% on aluminium. Possibly more now they using american kit .Just throwing that into the mix.

Sounds like the wholesale checker was bang on the money in not pre qualifying you for gfast.

Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Dec-19 16:49:02
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

No the checker was off as my house was added to the plot at a later date and all others that are even further than me could get it and have it. So the checker needed updating and Andrew managed to do that for me.

There is no Alu on my D-side its all .5 copper back to the cab.

With the colder days my line has gone up to 118mbs so its on 2mbs from the lower side of the estimate.

My ping is lower on Gfast. On VDSL it was 10ms to bbc and on Gfast its 6ms to bbc

Connection Speed 116631 kbps 12955 kbps
Line Attenuation D1(44.7 dB) , D2(0.0 dB) , D3(0.0 dB) U0(0.0 dB) , U1(0.0 dB) , U2(0.0 dB)
Noise Margin 3.1 dB 3.1 dB
Sky Q Hub Sky G.fast
My Broadband Ping

Edited by lockyatlrg (Sun 01-Dec-19 16:50:22)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Dec-19 13:00:20
Print Post

Connection Speed 116631 kbps 12955 kbps G.Fast
Connection Speed 79999 kbps 19999 kbps VDSL

I rather have VDSL than G.Fast
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Dec-19 13:28:25
Print Post

No the checker was off as my house was added to the plot at a later date and all others that are even further than me could get it and have it.

That makes no sense because its highly unlikely that those properties further away from the g.fast pod than yours would be able to order a usable service - since you're already at the limits.

BT Business FTTP(oD) 330/50 -- 4+2 ONT -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User dect
(experienced) Mon 02-Dec-19 14:06:44
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
That makes no sense because its highly unlikely that those properties further away from the g.fast pod than yours would be able to order a usable service - since you're already at the limits.
Sounded strange to me too but the only thing I could think of is that the properties further away may be further by road but not by cable run (e.g. up one side of the road and back down the other side)
Standard User dect
(experienced) Mon 02-Dec-19 14:20:47
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Connection Speed 116631 kbps 12955 kbps G.Fast
Connection Speed 79999 kbps 19999 kbps VDSL

I rather have VDSL than G.Fast
I think its a personally choice with no right or wrong answer, I would take the G.fast but its all down to what best suits your requirements.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Dec-19 15:02:47
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
No the checker was off as my house was added to the plot at a later date and all others that are even further than me could get it and have it.

I'm guessing that at around 450m (and syncing at the full 80/20) I'd stand no chance of getting (or benefiting from) G.fast, not that it's available here anyway. Happy to wait for the promised full-fibre!

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 79999/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Mon 02-Dec-19 15:03:45)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to