General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 02-Dec-19 15:20:40
Print Post

Re: Gfast at 360 meters

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Might work but nothing more than VDSL2 for download and upload will suffer more

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Dec-19 15:37:00
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

The Gfast was cheaper for me by 9 pounds a month and the ping is lower too plus a boost in download speed (my kids hammer downloads) so I will keep the gfast.

The checker is for Gfast on my cab is all over place. even some that about about 50 meters away can't get it yet have an 80/80 vdsl estimate. The person who has it on my street is slightly closer to the cab than me and gets higher speeds but there is houses that are further away which have higher estimates and me and have no hope of it working for them. This is what I'm trying to say.

Connection Speed 117483 kbps 12955 kbps
Line Attenuation D1(44.7 dB) , D2(0.0 dB) , D3(0.0 dB) U0(0.0 dB) , U1(0.0 dB) , U2(0.0 dB)
Noise Margin 3.1 dB 3.1 dB
Sky Q Hub Sky G.fast 360 meters
My Broadband Ping

Edited by lockyatlrg (Mon 02-Dec-19 15:37:35)

Standard User dect
(experienced) Mon 02-Dec-19 15:47:26
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lockyatlrg:
No the checker was off as my house was added to the plot at a later date and all others that are even further than me could get it and have it. So the checker needed updating and Andrew managed to do that for me.
Just for accuracy this is different than what you previously posted on 30th June 2019 where you stated G.fast had been visible on the DSL checker for your property but had disappeared.

Around the 28th June 2019 Openreach changed the G.fast minimum selling rule from 100Mbps download to 120Mbps download so its disappearance from the DSL Checker for your property was in fact correct.

Edit: That's not to say you have it now and its an improvement so a good result smile

Edited by dect (Mon 02-Dec-19 15:50:41)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dect
(experienced) Mon 02-Dec-19 15:57:38
Print Post

even some that about about 50 meters away can't get it yet have an 80/80 vdsl estimate. The person who has it on my street is slightly closer to the cab than me and gets higher speeds but there is houses that are further away which have higher estimates and me and have no hope of it working for them.
As I tried to say before don't confuse physical distance from the cab with the distance the cable has to run, You thought originally your cable run was only 230m but now you believe its closer to 360m and the same can be said for the distance your neighbours cables run especially if they are in ducting.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Dec-19 16:48:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by dect:
No the checker was off as my house was added to the plot at a later date and all others that are even further than me could get it and have it. So the checker needed updating and Andrew managed to do that for me.
Just for accuracy this is different than what you previously posted on 30th June 2019 where you stated G.fast had been visible on the DSL checker for your property but had disappeared.

Around the 28th June 2019 Openreach changed the G.fast minimum selling rule from 100Mbps download to 120Mbps download so its disappearance from the DSL Checker for your property was in fact correct.

Edit: That's not to say you have it now and its an improvement so a good result smile

I thought it was closer to that length but turns out it wasn't

So why did it not disappear for every other house on my street even houses further away connected on the same cable as me? Because the checker is and was off and the contact in BT Andrew had admitted as such and corrected it.

The Engineer who installed it said he was going off something called live maps for my line length and not an actual test with a JDSU or whatever they are using. So how accurate that is I don't know.

Off google maps my line route is 280 meters from the cab to here which includes me adding a bit on for crossing roads and round paths So I was going off a direct route which is about 230 meters but it seems to be mid 300. I think all the line length is guess work until an actual test is done but that's not going to happen now and it is what it is.

My line keeps improving which I think it down to the cold conditions currently I'm at 119mbs down now.

Line Attenuation D1(44.7 dB) , D2(0.0 dB) , D3(0.0 dB) U0(0.0 dB) , U1(0.0 dB) , U2(0.0 dB)
My Broadband Ping

Edited by lockyatlrg (Mon 02-Dec-19 16:51:20)

Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Dec-19 16:56:14
Print Post

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 63.2 20 19 57.3 Available Available
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 60.5 20 19 55 Available Available
G.fast Range A (Clean) 157.4 130.4 20.8 7.6 110.6 Amber Amber
G.fast Range B (Impacted) 117.2 75.5 12.8 6 67.6 Amber Amber

This is the estimate for me and a few others on my street.

No idea if you can guess any line length from that.

My Broadband Ping
Standard User dect
(experienced) Mon 02-Dec-19 17:07:08
Print Post

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 63.2 20 19 57.3 Available Available
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 60.5 20 19 55 Available Available
G.fast Range A (Clean) 157.4 130.4 20.8 7.6 110.6 Amber Amber
G.fast Range B (Impacted) 117.2 75.5 12.8 6 67.6 Amber Amber

This is the estimate for me and a few others on my street.

No idea if you can guess any line length from that.
Sorry no idea

In the past we used a mole to check the distance, it was very accurate and a lot better than JDSU's for testing distance (I'm sure those who are still in the job who still have one will confirm that).
Standard User TheInstaller
(newbie) Mon 02-Dec-19 17:40:20
Print Post

I thought it was closer to that length but turns out it wasn't

So why did it not disappear for every other house on my street even houses further away connected on the same cable as me? Because the checker is and was off and the contact in BT Andrew had admitted as such and corrected it.

The Engineer who installed it said he was going off something called live maps for my line length and not an actual test with a JDSU or whatever they are using. So how accurate that is I don't know.

Off google maps my line route is 280 meters from the cab to here which includes me adding a bit on for crossing roads and round paths So I was going off a direct route which is about 230 meters but it seems to be mid 300. I think all the line length is guess work until an actual test is done but that's not going to happen now and it is what it is.

You have no way of knowing where the cable runs underground, as you have discovered, the distance is greater than you think.

Very simple image here to explain what might be happening and why the houses you think are further away, are actually closer to the cab as far as cable length is concerned.

https://i.postimg.cc/PJv5DjYp/cable-run.png
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Dec-19 18:12:02
Print Post

In the past we used a mole to check the distance, it was very accurate and a lot better than JDSU's for testing distance (I'm sure those who are still in the job who still have one will confirm that).

.... and if anyone has a cover for a Tester 301 (the yellow one) I know someone who’d be very interested .... his third cover has just given up the ghost, contents still mint and working sweet as.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Dec-19 19:53:03
Print Post

[re: TheInstaller] [link to this post]

I have to agree with this.

My house g.fast estimated are 114/9 but two next doors to mine getting 330/50 as our both houses are run underground cable to same layout to the closer pcp g.fast pod. Two next doors house got this below in their front garden to the property below:

https://ibb.co/FWY0vfV - make me think this are the main reason for their easily 330/50 g.fast.

Edited by adslmax (Mon 02-Dec-19 19:55:14)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to