General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SiPurdy
(newbie) Tue 03-Dec-19 07:32:34
Print Post

Internal Cabling for FTTP

[link to this post]

Strange one, hopefuly someone will help.

When FTTC came to the area, I had my flat cat5 cabled up, and this included a run from where the master socket was placed by the builders right by the front door (why do they do this?!) to an internal cupboard that OpenReach then used to move the master socket The cable route was a nightmare going behind dab-dot, through a floor to get to the cupboard - I don't know the full route but it wouldn't be nice.

The BT broadband checker is reporting KCI2 Assure for FTTP which might be an early xmas present, but I'd want the ONT to be fitted in the same cupboard which opens up issues with the install.

Any ideas how I could go about easing this when it come to is (as I would imagine that this install would be a nightmare for an engineer to do)?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Dec-19 08:24:46
Print Post

Re: Internal Cabling for FTTP

[re: SiPurdy] [link to this post]

They have some new internal fibre that is extremely thin, and is glued onto the top of the skirting, it can then be painted over ..... very unobtrusive.

Or

Have the ONT in the hall (is there power ?) and use the existing cat5 to provide a link between there and the cupboard, and have the router there.

Standard User SiPurdy
(newbie) Tue 03-Dec-19 08:31:51
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks Zarjaz

The flat is a coachhouse, which I describe as an upstairs bungalow. The hallway downstairs (which does have power) is only 3ft wide so anything on the wall is likely to get bashed around.

It's a bit of a shame nobodys(?) done a thin "straw" tube that could be used to feed through walls etc to pre-route the fibre.

As for the new thin fibre, what's the bend radius like?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Dec-19 08:48:38
Print Post

You must remember that FTTP is still a Ďnewí concept for most builders, so thereís no thought for such things in the build of many/most properties.

Iíve not physically had my hands on any yet, only read about it .... but have seen a similar product used in flats, and it seemed to be following the up and over door frames route OK.

The usual generalisation is that the radius should be no tighter than a ten pence piece .....

I went to a company in Basingstoke who had fibre that could be literally knitted with no loss ..... their or the products name, I donít recall right now.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Dec-19 09:33:55
Print Post

How "internal" is the cupboard? Is there any route that would be reasonable to get to it?

Failing that, could the ONT be put somewhere where there is a CAT5 end point and then connect it back to the router in the cupboard via that CAT5?
Standard User dect
(experienced) Tue 03-Dec-19 10:06:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by SiPurdy:
Strange one, hopefuly someone will help.

I had my flat cat5 cabled up, and this included a run from where the master socket was placed by the builders right by the front door (why do they do this?!) to an internal cupboard that OpenReach then used to move the master socket The cable route was a nightmare going behind dab-dot, through a floor to get to the cupboard - I don't know the full route but it wouldn't be nice.
Just a thought, If you want the install of the fibre cable to be perfect have you considered getting the same guys back who run the original cat5 cable to run the internal fibre cable? you may be able to get an internal fibre cable kit ((various lengths available) from Openreach and get your guys to run it then the Openreach guys can use a CSP to connect/splice it to the external fibre cable.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 03-Dec-19 10:33:28
Print Post

Why not mount it high up close to the ceiling and drop a single Cat5e down to floor level.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User threelegs
(member) Tue 03-Dec-19 11:18:11
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

the black cable that comes from the pole has a smaller white cable inside. the or guys can remove the black to expose the white that is not only thinner 3mm as opposed to 5mm but is less intrusive in a domestic environment
Standard User SiPurdy
(newbie) Tue 03-Dec-19 11:53:29
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I went to a company in Basingstoke who had fibre that could be literally knitted with no loss ..... their or the products name, I donít recall right now.

I remember Corning having a fibre that could do that, press anouncement a few years back.

Thanks for the guidance, I'll see if I can find anything on the internal fibre kits but an initial google didn't show promise.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Dec-19 12:20:13
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Unlikely that Openreach will adopt and splice onto consumer supplied fibre, what would be better would be to install some sub duct ready and have a draw rope ready in it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to