General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 03-Dec-19 12:20:20
Print Post

Re: Internal Cabling for FTTP

[re: SiPurdy] [link to this post]

You can get single mode fibre (aka the stuff that is used for FTTP) that has a bend radius of 10mm aka 1cm. Here is some simple single mode APC to APC cable with such a bend radius.

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/41923.html

The postage is going to be more than the cable costs smile There is no need to get anyone in to splice any cable a simple APC SC/SC coupler for a few quid is all you need.

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/76115.htmlth

I can't see a listing on fs.com for a single one but give 10 of them are under £5 hardly a large financial loss if the remaining 9 go in the bin.

I am assuming that Openreach are using angled physical SC connectors (APC) rather than the normal "flat" ones (UPC). All the photos I have seen show green connectors rather than blue which would be standard for APC however some of the Openreach documentation suggest they use UPC connectors but I think that is a mistake. Normally APC connectors are used in FTTP installations due to the lower optical loss.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 03-Dec-19 12:26:29
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Why not mount it high up close to the ceiling and drop a single Cat5e down to floor level.

Note that you'd also have to drop a DC power cable down to a wall wart PSU.

My NTE is installed inside an outer case intended to hold a BBU (which I don't have), as per the picture here.

This outer case is still very slim: 40mm deep. You would probably get away with it even in the narrow stairwell. The case gives it protection, and it includes space to curl up the fibre tail and DC lead neatly.

You may or may not get offered this as an option, as the latest NTEs apparently are even smaller and without the case: see here.

Otherwise: I don't know what the rules are for ladders these days, but could they bring the fibre externally up the wall and directly into your upstairs bungalow?
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 03-Dec-19 12:31:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Or just pre-install some SC-SC APC simplex fibre and use a coupler to join it to the Openreach terminated fibre. That way if there are any issues you could temporarily move the ONT and plug it into the Openreach terminated fibre.

Really people seem to treat fibre as some sort of delicate black magic when it's not. Though I do accept that Openreach would unlikely to be happy splicing internal cable to theirs. A extra few metres of fibre are basically neither here nor there in the scheme of things.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Dec-19 12:45:29
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Connecting two pieces via a female adaptor once they've done the install is a good idea, also makes any light issues if they happen easy to diagnose as can hook up to the Openreach supplied fibre with the ONT.

For many of us the mystique of fibre does not exist, but given how badly treated copper wiring has been seen to be treated can see fibre suffering e.g. just being left unplugged and connector open to air will get dust/moisture which may increase light loss.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Dec-19 13:11:02
Print Post

[re: threelegs] [link to this post]

Nah, that technique has been updated .... the stripping from the black to white is a HUGE PITA .... often adding a lot of time to tasks.

They are back to pre made kits run from the ONT back outside it’s thinner than the old Eeezee bend stuff too. Also negates the truly awful ‘field fit’ connectors that were being used.

The new kits are run to a new style external CSP, and the connectorised cable from the CBT is terminated and spliced in there.

Standard User dect
(experienced) Tue 03-Dec-19 13:24:40
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The new kits are run to a new style external CSP, and the connectorised cable from the CBT is terminated and spliced in there.
Do you have any pics/sizes of new style external CSP
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Dec-19 14:14:55
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Not at present..... it’ll take a 2 to 5 pair UG feed too.

Standard User threelegs
(member) Tue 03-Dec-19 14:41:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

my install has the black cable from the CBT down the pole through sel installed duct across the garden up the house wall in conduit into the loft,across the loft and down in conduit to a hall cupboard. the black cable is stripped back to white only where it goes into the box containing the ONT (used to hold a BBU as well till it melted)

Edited by threelegs (Tue 03-Dec-19 14:41:48)

Standard User dect
(experienced) Tue 03-Dec-19 15:43:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Unlikely that Openreach will adopt and splice onto consumer supplied fibre
In my post I wasn't suggesting to the OP to supply their own fibre I actually said
In reply to a post by dect:
you may be able to get an internal fibre cable kit ((various lengths available) from Openreach
The BT Item code for a 20m white internal fibre cable use to be 061820
Standard User cjgpers
(regular) Tue 03-Dec-19 15:44:45
Print Post

[re: SiPurdy] [link to this post]

My install has black outer covering up to the inside of the wall, then stripped back to white for the loop into the ONT.

ONT Install Picture
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to