General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PhotoFiend
(regular) Sun 08-Dec-19 18:04:23
Print Post

How to check if my local cabinet is full for FTTC?

[link to this post]

Hi everyone

I am considering changing my ISP from one FTTC provider to another - I already have FTTC.

The problem is that some time back I found out that my local cabinet was full and not accepting new connections.

Can anyone tell me how to find out if that's still the case, I've been looking it up, going on the BT DSL checker and Samknows but can't seem to find the correct information.

I think I'm right in thinking that if I change suppliers it should be a simple case of moving from one place to another, BUT I am a bit paranoid of problems and possibly losing my access to FTTC and having to move back to ADSL. That would be an absolute disaster for my business that I run from the same line so, if there's a chance of that happening I'd rather grit my teeth and put up with current ISP issues than change.

What does everyone thing. Can that happen, that you can lose your connection? Is there a way of finding out if the cabinet is still full?

Thanks in advance! smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Dec-19 21:04:24
Print Post

Re: How to check if my local cabinet is full for FTTC?

[re: PhotoFiend] [link to this post]

The BT Wholesale checker should be the best guide as to whether capacity is available, but it is a dynamic affair.

If the cab is actually full then no order should be possible.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PhotoFiend
(regular) Sun 08-Dec-19 23:59:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for your reply.

Is the the checker you mean? https://www.dslchecker.bt.com
I've looked on the BT Wholesale site but I can't seem to find anything on there. (It's late, I could be missing something obvious!)

Ah I see. So if they haven't increased capacity, I won't be able to even change from one supplier to another even though it's not a 'new' connection?

Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-Dec-19 00:17:05
Print Post

There have been several cases reported on these forums of people ordering an FTTC > FTTC migration, and finding they end up back on ADSL2+.

Openreach have a queuing system, used by a few ISPs. That means that as soon as a port on an FTTC cabinet becomes available it is allocated to the highest request on the list.

The fact you see your cabinet as being "available" immediately before placing your order doesn't mean it will be available by the time you complete the order process with your new ISP.

Quite how the timing fails I don't know, but if there is one port free and one or two people on the same phone cabinet order FTTC in that few minutes you might find the setting up of the queue happens after OR have accepted your order for processing and confirmed it to your new ISP and from them to you.

Given that Openreach also break down an ISP's order into several internal orders your cease of service from your current ISP takes place and is then followed by the order from your new ISP to connect FTTC. But that order is lower down the queue for a port and the top one gets your port.

Disaster for you.

A completely dysfunctional system frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 09-Dec-19 08:25:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by PhotoFiend:
Is the the checker you mean? https://www.dslchecker.bt.com

Yes - it says "Waiting list" if the cabinet is full(*). If it's showing as capacity available, and does continuously for a couple of weeks, you may be OK.

How did you find out originally that the cabinet was full?

Have you seen any activity which might imply that extra capacity has been added - e.g. roadworks around the cabinet, or an extension pod bolted onto the side?

(*) unless they have changed the site. Does anyone have an example of a cabinet which *is* showing "Waiting list" at the moment?
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Mon 09-Dec-19 08:45:22
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Telephone Number xxxxxxxxxx on Exchange PETERHEAD is served by Cabinet 9

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High

Low

High

Low

VDSL Range A (Clean)

Waiting list

Waiting list

--

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

Waiting list

Waiting list

--

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand

--

Available

--

--

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+

Up to 14

--

8 to 18

Available

--

--

ADSL Max

Up to 7

--

6.5 to 8

Available

--

--

WBC Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

--

--

Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

--

--

Observed Speeds

VDSL

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast

--

--

--

Available

--

--

ADSL Multicast

--

--

--

Available

--

--

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap

U

VRI

N

NTEFaceplate

N

Last Test Date

19-05-2017

Sorry about the formatting
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Dec-19 09:40:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Openreach would not fall people back to ADSL/ADSL2+ that has been a choice made by the retailer. Remember Openreach does run any exchange based DSLAM

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 09-Dec-19 10:27:00
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Thanks. So if the OP *doesn't* see "Waiting List" that should mean there is at least one port available.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-Dec-19 12:08:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, I agree. But there is little that can happen other than the retailer trigger that as a stopgap. Unless the customer chooses to go fully mobile and demand compensation.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-Dec-19 12:11:35
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

“Should” being the operative word. I wonder if it updates in real time, or at intervals from Openreach. Taking us back anyway to what I posted earlier.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to