General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RhysP
(newbie) Mon 13-Jan-20 17:39:41
Print Post

BT fibre - Business or Residential?

[link to this post]

BT have recently rolled out full fibre in our neighbourhood. I run a VAT registered business from home. We are therefore considering upgrading our BT line.

Would the business Superfast Essential Fibre business product be likely to offer better latency and ping rates over the residential Ultrafast Fibre 250 product?

Frankly, the respective advertised bandwidths of 74Mbps vs 300Mbps are illusory to me, as we currently do not even encroach on our 40Mbps capacity!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Jan-20 18:01:34
Print Post

Re: BT fibre - Business or Residential?

[re: RhysP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RhysP:
BT have recently rolled out full fibre in our neighbourhood.
Frankly, the respective advertised bandwidths of 74Mbps vs 300Mbps are illusory to me, as we currently do not even encroach on our 40Mbps capacity!
Do you mean FTTP, (Fibre to the Premises), has been rolled out?

If so, that reads as if you don't realise that FTTP connects at the speed it says on the label. 300Mbps means a connection at 300Mbps, not "up to".

Throughput depends of course on both your ISP and the server(s) you are accessing. Inevitably.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 13-Jan-20 18:02:20
Print Post

Latency and Ping are unlikely to vary between business and residential products.

The main advantage for business is the support and repair times - business is often 1 day response and includes Saturdays.

Aslo, depending on your accountant, charging a business line to teh company can be a lot easier than justifying a residential charge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Mon 13-Jan-20 18:02:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Mon 13-Jan-20 19:28:44
Print Post

FTTP is available at various speeds - including 80/20, 160/30, 200/20, 330/50. These are the raw speeds you're limited to. The speedtest results you'll get are a bit lower, due to packet overhead, which is why the advertised rates you'll see are often lower (e.g. 150 instead of 160).

So if you don't need 300M, there's no need to take 300M.

If the 80M business product is the same price as the 300M residential, it means you're paying less for bandwidth and more for business-level support.

Note that you don't have to go with BT, there are other companies who will sell you FTTP over the same line:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages/fttp-broadband

Although the "big names" like Sky and Talktalk are not yet on board, they are rumoured to be preparing for it.
  Print Thread

Jump to